Robert Wagner

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
tapsa
Superleague Player

Re: Robert Wagner

Post by tapsa »

It's nice to see BDO officials watch PäkkiDarts TV! :D

According to instructions from BDO the players to Winmau will be send by the national organizations and the organizations only. If Robert will rise in SDC rankings to top 2 this weekend, it's up to Norway to not send him to Hull. This is exactly the procedure we use in Finland. For example Jani has a spot at Winmau as a Finnish Champion, but if he stays at top two, he doesn't go to Hull. Simple.

Those players who doesn't qualify are obviously free to play where ever (read Hull) they want.

P.S.
Didn't like Robert's words back then (and still not) as I want to build bridges. This possible ban proved my worries correct.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Be interesting to see what communication Robert had from BDO that led him to say on FB that he was banned! Perhaps it's another I'll advised comment from Robert.
As for it's up to national association to send him that is correct Tapsa but you know as well as I do that the rule 1:1 can be used "the board can change anything they want".
davcol
Superleague Player

Post by davcol »

ill miss watching robert doing cart wheels and talking like someone has hold of his balls
Ophion
Steady Sixties

Post by Ophion »

WCDPA wrote:Be interesting to see what communication Robert had from BDO that led him to say on FB that he was banned! Perhaps it's another I'll advised comment from Robert.
As for it's up to national association to send him that is correct Tapsa but you know as well as I do that the rule 1:1 can be used "the board can change anything they want".
14th September 2012,
Dear Roar,
Thank you for your Winmau World Masters entries and photographs.
The BDO has a problem with your entry from Robert Wagner and I have to inform you that he will not be welcome at our event after his disrespectful comments about the British Darts Organisation made at the Scandinavia Darts Corporation Final on Saturday 11th August 2012 where his remarks brought the sport into disrepute.
His interview can be seen and heard on YouTube, I am quite sure that if you take a look you will fully understand our position on this matter as he makes it perfectly clear that he doesn’t like playing in our tournaments as the BDO are “Shite”
These remarks are unacceptable to the British Darts Organisation and for this reason we are not accepting his entry for the Winmau World Masters or the World Professional Play-Offs being held in Hull.
Yours sincerely
Wayne Williams
Wayne Williams
Tournament Director
British Darts Organisation
Unit 4, Glan-Y-Llyn, Industrial Estate, Cardiff Road, Taffs Well, Cardiff, C15 7JD
Wyn
Pub Champion

Post by Wyn »

Quite right too.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Wyn wrote:Quite right too.
+1
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
SHAKIN
Brass Darts

Post by SHAKIN »

+2. Spot on
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Bringing the game into disrepute seems fair charge, there is no dispute he made the comments ! Earlier in the thread oc compared this to deta's exclusion from super series the difference here is the remarks were made by the player himself when he knew it wasbeing broadcasted .
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

It seems some agree with the BDO's stance. Fine. But for me there needs to be consistency. Have any other BDO player made similar remarks about the BDO: on youtube, FB etc? Would be interesting if top stars have at times made very negative remarks about the BDO and are not banned from events. Any players said the BDO are a "waste of space", "hopeless" etc?

I have mentioned before he was using his second language: maybe he meant the BDO is "crap". A lot less negative word than the one used. But if that is worthy of a ban then anyone saying the BDO are crap: they should be banned!

can someone post the clip again or tell me where it is please? I watched it the first time but would like to see if it is really a event banning incident.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Cheers ophion,

It's a difficult one and I do understand where the bdo are coming from but it sets a precedent. Will the bdo now be scouring twitter and Facebook for players who have said the same and banning them from events?

To me the banning of one of their most popular and charismatic players is a bad mistake and the offence has been committed by hundreds of people - some big names, rocky road ahead
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

If the real reason is that he is aiming to go to the PDC but they are using this to 'punish' him that the BDO need to be careful. Wagner could claim that he is being unfairly treated if other players have said the same/similar thing. Btw i also understand the BDO's point: but is a total ban justified?

Has he or his national org made any more comment?

Now back to my 'translation' point. I'm no mug (well i like to think i'm not) and realise he probably knew and meant what he said, with the phrase used. But does no-one else think that Wagner could claim he didn't mean to use such a strong word?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Ophion
Steady Sixties

Post by Ophion »

devosteve wrote:If the real reason is that he is aiming to go to the PDC but they are using this to 'punish' him that the BDO need to be careful. Wagner could claim that he is being unfairly treated if other players have said the same/similar thing. Btw i also understand the BDO's point: but is a total ban justified?

Has he or his national org made any more comment?

Now back to my 'translation' point. I'm no mug (well i like to think i'm not) and realise he probably knew and meant what he said, with the phrase used. But does no-one else think that Wagner could claim he didn't mean to use such a strong word?
British Darts Organisation 16th September 2012

Tournament Director Wayne Williams

ROBERT WAGNER'S PARTICIPATION IN WINMAU WORLD MASTERS

We refer to your letter dated 14th September were you are refusing our entry of Robert Wagner to the Winmau World Masters due to a comment he made at the Scandinavian Tour in Finland August 11th.

First we want to make clear that Wagner's comments entirely stands for his own account. The board of the Norwegian Darts Federation is aware of the video on YouTube and has spoken to Wagner after this incident. He explains that his intention in this interview was to praise the organizers of the tournament which he thought had done a good job. Then he compared to his last appearance at the Winmau which he felt was noisy, crowdy and with too low temperature in the playing area. These views are also shared with other players. Thus he apologizes that his comment "Shite" was interpreted as a characterization of the BDO as such, while he actually wanted to give some critique of last year's playing conditions. Robert Wagner does not speak fluent English, and with limited language skill's he misses the nuances when trying to explain what he means.

Even if we are aware of Wagner’s comments, the Norwegian Darts .
Federation is very surprised by the BDO's refusal of his entry at such a late stage. Robert Wagner won the Norwegian Championship in March and as Norwegian Champion he should be qualified for the Winmau due to earlier agreements. Thus the federation has booked flight and hotel for him in good faith. Even if this incident happened more than one month ago, no indications are given that his entry would be refused. No warnings are either given to Wagner himself, and he has not gotten any chance to explain himself before this disciplinary reaction.

Thus, we feel that refusing an entry because of a thoughtless comment like this is an overreaction. This was a one-time incident and should be treated as so.

If the refusal is kept we also want to know what this implies for Wagner's later potential appearances in other BDO-tournaments. Is this a one-time refusal or is it time limited suspension? If so, for how long is the suspension, is it valid for all BDO-event or only Winmau/Lakeside?

Yours sincerely

Roar Bustebakke

President

Norwegian Darts Federation
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

People mention scouring FB etc . The difference here is that Robert was participating in an event to qualify for the world champs of the PDC , you would naturally expect a field of 400 men and ladies players at the masters would be noisier and more crowded than a field of 60+ in the scandanavian event.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Whatever one thinks of Wagner's comment or the BDO's decision, it's nice to see his national federation sticking up for him.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

WCDPA wrote:People mention scouring FB etc . The difference here is that Robert was participating in an event to qualify for the world champs of the PDC , you would naturally expect a field of 400 men and ladies players at the masters would be noisier and more crowded than a field of 60+ in the scandanavian event.
Doesn't every European player who enters any pdc European tour event do so in order to win oom monies which count towards entry into the pdc world championship, therefore each and every player who has played in any pdc Europe event has tried to get to the pdc world's. Now that means you can exclude any and all European players on the grounds that they have tried to qualify for the pdc worlds.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

But not all players were interviewed on the stage and made the remarks Robert did, with the expecked announcement of the BDO not allowing associate members playing in winmau or lakeside qualifying events, it finally looks as they are being more aggressive in their attitude.
Wyn
Pub Champion

Post by Wyn »

I think it also needs to be said,.......Roar Bustebakke has got to be one of the best names in darts !
chissy
County Player

Post by chissy »

Zeyes wrote:Whatever one thinks of Wagner's comment or the BDO's decision, it's nice to see his national federation sticking up for him.
Agreed, fair play to them. And i agree with Nick, they need to tread carefully or they will set a precedent that they dare not implicate, only recently one of their more senior players has said alot worse and very publically.
Also by denying Wagners entry are they not in breach of the tomlin order or even guilty of restraint of trade?
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

WCDPA wrote:But not all players were interviewed on the stage and made the remarks Robert did, with the expecked announcement of the BDO not allowing associate members playing in winmau or lakeside qualifying events, it finally looks as they are being more aggressive in their attitude.
So I ask you again will the bdo now be banning all people who have bad mouted them?
tapsa
Superleague Player

Post by tapsa »

devosteve wrote:
can someone post the clip again or tell me where it is please? I watched it the first time but would like to see if it is really a event banning incident.

Interviw on about 26:00

It's nice to see organization to back him up. Nevertheless they clearly are not aware of all details of qualifications etc. What about if Robert will qualify to Ally Pally. Would they still have sent him in? Because I wouldn't. To WDF Europe Yes (Robert is not in a team), but BDO Winmau not.

Obviously I hope he doesn't qualify, but Smiley and Jani will... :D