Ideas and recipes for dinner

With separate forums for other sports, TV and films and General chat you can talk about whatever takes your fancy
nikkiboy
International

Re: Ideas and recipes for dinner

Post by nikkiboy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Paddy McGinty wrote:I will try the kebab dish later this week and let you know how I get on.

what was it like Paddy?

Ham & Mozzarella wraps (pasties)

You will need:
Puff Pastry
Mozzarella Ball or Grated Mozzarella
Sun Dried or Sun Blush Tomatoes
Tomato Puree
Sliced Ham (or bacon)
Salt
Cracked Black Pepper

OK roll out the pastry until it is quite thin, approx 2mm - just thick enough to not break when you lift it up however this is not that important and it can be thicker as you will just have a thicker crust, cut the pastry into squares approx 6" x 4" and lay down so the short side is facing you, i.e. looks like a door.

Drain the tomatoes so they are not sodden but do have a little oil on them and place a generous layer on just the bottom half the pastry making sure that you leave about a half inch of edge around the bottom three edges.

Place about 5 pea sized squeezes of tomato puree evenly on top of the tomato

Add a pinch of salt and some fresh cracked black pepper

Cut the ham in strips about the size of your little finger and lay on top of the tomato and puree

Place sliced mozzarella on top again making sure you stay away from the edges

Brush the edges with beaten egg and pull the empty half of the pastry over the top, push down to seal the edges and further seal by pressing down the edges with a fork, this also creates a nice finish.

With a knife make two holes in the top of the wrap, brush the top with beaten egg, place on greaseproof or silicon paper and bake in a 160 degree oven for about 20 minutes, some cheese or tomato may seep out but that is normal.

Enjoy, you adjust salt, pepper and tomato puree to your own taste
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 pm

The ingredients for the kebabs arrive via sainsburys delivery tonight, I will try them out over the weekend, will they be spicy like real ones from the kebab shop?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

chissy
County Player

Post by chissy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 am

I slow cooked a shoulder of lamb last night, got all the meat off and have set it aside to mince it tonight to have a go at the kebab. Gonna use fresh garlic and onion and might sneak a few fresh chillies in as well.
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy

Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:28 am

chissy wrote:I slow cooked a shoulder of lamb last night, got all the meat off and have set it aside to mince it tonight to have a go at the kebab. Gonna use fresh garlic and onion and might sneak a few fresh chillies in as well.

Did you shag it before you howked the shoulder off. If not, you are not doing it the correct way.

chissy
County Player

Post by chissy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:05 pm

Col wrote:
chissy wrote:I slow cooked a shoulder of lamb last night, got all the meat off and have set it aside to mince it tonight to have a go at the kebab. Gonna use fresh garlic and onion and might sneak a few fresh chillies in as well.

Did you shag it before you howked the shoulder off. If not, you are not doing it the correct way.

Ah thats how they get that unique "salty twang" at our local kebab shop then! :D
I never understood the greek sense of humour, always wondered why they sniggered as they loaded up your meal with garlic mayo and why they always had to go right out the back of the shop for a new batch :IIII: :IIII:
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:08 pm

just remember with already cooked lamb the texture will be totally different, taste should be the same though

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 am

Paddy McGinty wrote:The ingredients for the kebabs arrive via sainsburys delivery tonight, I will try them out over the weekend, will they be spicy like real ones from the kebab shop?

So come on paddy, what did you think?

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:09 am

OK its starting to get colder so today it's French onion soup

You will need:

900g onions
50g butter
2.5 tbsp flour
2.0 litres beef stock
1 glass of white wine
1 tbsp sugar

OK slice the onions and cook in the butter on a pan on a medium heat until they start to caramelise, when they turn brown and sticky add the sugar and stir again.

Stir in the flour and cook for a couple of minutes then add the stock and wine. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 45 minutes, add salt and pepper to your taste and serve with cheese sprinkled on top.

Cheap, easy and delicious.

If you want a richer soup add a glass of brandy and double the butter.

If you are a vegetarian then substitute the beef stock for veggie stock.

Enjoy

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:17 pm

Fun Guy Risotto

250g Fun Guys sliced
350g Arborio Rice
150ml White Wine
1.5 Litres Vegetable Stock (2 stock cubes in Boiling water will do)
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
2 cloves of garlic (or teaspoon of garlic paste)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Knob of butter
1 medium onion

Chop the onion and garlic, place in a large frying pan with the butter and olive oil and fry until the onions are soft, add the sliced Fun Guys and fry for a few minutes more.
Bring the stock to the boil and keep it simmering
Add all of the rice to the pan and stir until it is coated with oil, add some of the stock and stir until it is absorbed, add more stock and again stir until it is absorbed, repeat this until the rice is cooked, fluffy and there is little or no juice in the pan - don't worry if you have stock left over.
Take the pan from the heat, add the chopped parsley and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and stir until mixed then serve immediately.

You can sprinkle some parmeson cheese on top if you like.

If you want chicken risotto just substitute the Fun Guys for cooked chicken, the vegetable stock for chicken stock and add some chopped tarragon.

Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:The ingredients for the kebabs arrive via sainsburys delivery tonight, I will try them out over the weekend, will they be spicy like real ones from the kebab shop?

So come on paddy, what did you think?

Nick, the Sainsbury's truck broke down last week, so they gave us a emergency delivery, unfortunately no meat arrived.

Anyway this week the lamb turned up and tonight I made the dish as you described, it was delicious and I will be making it again, thank you for the recipe and I will try out your next one "Ham & Mozzarella wraps" next week, keep um coming getting fed up of the same old dishes week in week out.

Grateful Regards paDDy
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:41 pm

This strikes me as a 'Bradders' type thread.

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:29 pm

Ive neglected this a little, I blame Christmas and alcohol

Here are a couple of old favourites for you to try

Chicken, Bacon and Pesto

Now this is perfect on either mashed potato, jacket potato or in a baguette and is as tasty as it comes
You will need: (serves 4-6)

500g Chicken breast
16 rashers of bacon
tablespoon of green pesto
2 x tablespoons of butter
2 x tablespoons of Olive Oil (or most oils)

Slice up the chicken into cubes around an inch thick and fry in the butter and oil for about 3 minutes
Slice up the bacon into slices around an inch square also and add to the chicken and fry for a further 5 minutes

At the end of the frying add the tablespoon of pesto and mix, add the entire pan contents to a ceramic ovenproof dish, cover with foil and pop in the oven for around 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked, remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of cooking.

Remove from the oven and you will see a lot of juice in the dish, this is because if you buy bacon or chicken from a supermarket it will have had water artificially added to the meat in order to bulk it out (have you ever noticed that some bacons you fry seem to boil in their own juice? - this is why)
In this instance Infatuated with my own supposed notoriety is a good thing as it will be flavoursome and becomes a great sauce.

Serve over a baked potato or mash and remember to spoon over the buttery juice for flavour - lovely.

If you have made too much don't panic, boil up the sauce and add some flour to thicken, add the meat and use as a pie or pasty filling.

Liver, Bacon, Sausage and tomato casserole

Serves 3-4
12 Pork sausages
12 rashers of bacon
225g lambs liver
2 tins of chopped tomato

The easiest thing you will ever make, use a slow cooker and simply add the raw sausages, chopped liver, tomatoes and bacon and leave to cook on medium/high for about 3 hours or until the sausages are cooked.

**Depending upon the fat content of the sausages used you may have a skin of fat at the top of the casserole, if you do just remove with a spoon or kitchen paper before you serve.

Spoon out and serve with mashed potato, no need to add salt as the bacon will be salty enough

Enjoy

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:10 am

Homemade butter

It is easy to make your own butter - no really it is!

What you will need:

500ml double cream
A bowl
A jug
A hand held electric whisk
Salt (if you want salted butter)

Now however much cream you have it will make about half the volume of butter.

Place cream in the bowl and whisk until very thick, at which point transfer to a jug (add the salt if required) and on the slowest setting whisk again, at some point the colour will start to change to yellow and the mixture will start to separate, keep whisking until you have two distinct parts, liquid and yellow block. Remove the solids from the jug and squeeze with your clean hands until all liquid has been expelled, this is important as the liquid will turn the butter bad very quickly. Once you are satisfied that you have removed all the liquid form the butter into a block or roll, wrap in greaseproof paper and voila you have just made your own butter.

Unsalted for baking and salted for everything else

Enjoy

spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 pm

These are called dolma, they are stuffed vine leaves (from my vine).

Lamb mince, rice, tomatoes, lemon juice, olive oil, mint & seasoning. Yum yum. :)

Member of the Peter Manley Fan Club Member of the Ted Hankey Fan Club

Steve Egerton = Idi Admin

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:27 am

On BBC iplayer now tom kerridges pub grub, a couple of great dishes especially the slow lamb

DavidOwen67
International

Post by DavidOwen67 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:41 am

Bunch of Nancys! :D

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49 am

DavidOwen67 wrote:Bunch of Nancys! :D

Nowt girlie about cooking David, men do it the best

DavidOwen67
International

Post by DavidOwen67 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:55 am

nikkiboy wrote:
DavidOwen67 wrote:Bunch of Nancys! :D

Nowt girlie about cooking David, men do it the best

Pretty sure Captain Rum would have something to say on the subject :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ToNZSkmRg[/youtube]

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:26 pm

OK tonight was Peking ribs

My recipe is as follows

For the sauce:

1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
25ml malt vinegar
50ml white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons spring onions

For the meat use either pork ribs or belly pork

Mix all of the spices and liquid together and hand whisk for about five minutes, chop up the spring onions very fine and mix in, coat the meat and leave to marinate for at least an hour or even better in the fridge overnight.

Place in a roasting pot and roast on about 140 degrees for 2 and a half hours or until cooked.

Belly pork is cheap and delicious

Enjoy

legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:11 am

Dave can you give me the recipe for those vine leave parcels? They look really good!

Tom
Do I know any jokes about Sodium Hypobromite?

NaBrO

Return to “General Non Darts Discussion”