Happy BoJo Day!

With separate forums for other sports, TV and films and General chat you can talk about whatever takes your fancy
nikkiboy
International

Re: Happy BoJo Day!

Post by nikkiboy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:35 pm

NvH wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:17 pm
Rout wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:50 pm
Which property do you think pays the most council tax?

A 3-bed semi in Hartlepool on sale for £107k

Or

A 10-bed townhouse on Berkeley Sq, Westminster worth £82.5m
I assume that's in response to my comment on how council tax isn't always fair. But it's an extreme example with an obvious answer. It isn't always as obvious as that, as you well know.

My point is that PEOPLE should be taxed, not property. The Lib Dems idea of a local income tax was a better one. Sometimes you live in a larger house because you inherited it from parents who already paid their stamp duty on the home and their taxes on the income you inherit from them. Why should the money/property be taxed twice?
Also why should a three bed house worth £100k and a three bed house worth £1m have different council tax? Do they not have the same footprint, same number of bins, same lighting, same access to public areas, same access to other public services - which are the whole point of council tax.
I agree that the rich should be taxed at a higher rate, absolutely but to filter that down to council tax and say that just because your house is in Surrey you must pay 10x the council tax of one in Hull is just ludicrous. As said above stamp duty, inheritance tax and others already exist and already tax the Surrey person higher than the Hull person.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

Rout
International

Post by Rout » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm

The 82m townhouse has its bins emptied 7 days a week. Street swept several times a week.

Many tory ministers own properties in this area.

It's absolutely stunning how a small group of privately educated and pampered rich kids have slowly but completely rigged the system in their favour and have managed to get so many of those that they have shafted jumping in front of bullets on their behalf.

NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:36 pm

Rout wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm
The 82m townhouse has its bins emptied 7 days a week. Street swept several times a week.

Many tory ministers own properties in this area.

It's absolutely stunning how a small group of privately educated and pampered rich kids have slowly but completely rigged the system in their favour and have managed to get so many of those that they have shafted jumping in front of bullets on their behalf.
Yep, people are jumping in front of bullets on their behalf...

Your comment is in the same vein as those I saw on social media on election night. That somehow we are stupid (like turkeys voting for Christmas) if we vote Conservative and aren't multi-millionaires. The amount of crying that night was both hilarious and irritating.

I've done just fine under them and I'm not rich. But more pertinently, being called stupid by people who are far less educated than you are is unlikely to garner a friendly response.

Sometimes lefties act as if they have some confidential information that the rest of us aren't privy to. You seem to hint at that in your post, as if you know what these rich people have been doing under our noses, but the rest of us have missed it. I get most of my news from the BBC which is more than credible.

The left might seem educated because they shout the loudest on college campuses about all sorts of subjects on which they are largely ignorant (it doesn't help that they are generally unable to analyse data or keep their emotions in check) but it has been said that empty vessels make the most noise and those who are truly high achievers academically go about their business quietly without making stupid protests.

Some of us go there to learn instead of becoming politically active because some cause is the latest fad or they want to get on TV. Some of us don't identify ourselves with who we voted for in the last election. Some of us aren't stupid enough to be fooled by intersectionality.

As for most of the college complaints, they're laughable. There is no "rape culture" - people aren't going around high-fiving rapists when they come out of prison - not even darts fans will do that when Eccles is unleashed onto an unsuspecting society. There is no "gender pay gap" for the same job (And I got this information from the very same type of university where people were protesting about it because I was there to learn from those more qualified, not children). There are two genders (although you do get intersex people in rural parts of Africa and the Indian Subcontinent, among other places. This is a birth defect of course, and not a brand new gender). This is basic science we learned in high school. Chromosomes and all that. Even people like Navratilova are being demonized by the SJWs and regressive left. Does anyone really want to see a male boxer identify as a woman and start beating the shit out of females in the ring? Would be like some kind of sick reality show "Live from the Thornton/Chris Brown household". Not because he's more skillful but because he has natural physical advantages that will prove too much for even the likes of Katie Taylor.

Feelings became more important than facts for many people. Some of us are just about remaining sane, however ;) Even when we see Bruce Jenner become "woman of the year" because he had his genitalia removed. Despite killing a woman by driving too fast.

Rout
International

Post by Rout » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:58 pm

This is why debating with you is borderline impossible MT. A conversation about the wealth gap and council tax and you go off on a huge tangent about gender politics and trans/sexuality issues.

The fact that left/right even exists at all is intensely frustrating to me. You, me, nick and paddy are all in the same boat and the fact that we are split down the middle is exactly what the executive classes planned and hoped for. Divide and rule - it's a concept as old as time and eternally successful at the expense of the average guy.

It's about to happen in the US. Bernie Sanders may be put forward as democratic candidate because his number one priority is wealth inequality and a huge number of people are learning just how important it is to every issue in society. According to polls he will win against trump right now. But not a chance he will as between now and November the billionaire owned media will tear him a new arsehole and by election day he will be a terrorist loving communist who will rob the ordinary man to pay for freeloaders and open the borders to criminals and rapists. Meanwhile trumps election manifesto involves huge health cuts, boosts in military spending and more tax relief for the wealthy. And that's without it being rigged by Russia like its proven it was last time (wheres our report into Russian interference btw, conveniently suppressed by Fuzzy head before the election and buried away now)

NvH
The Ton Club

Post by NvH » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:47 pm

You go off into tangents yourself, Rout. Especially when I've refuted one of your arguments :P But that's how conversations tend to work, but believe me it's just as frustrating debating with you. It's because we have different ideas about what we want from a government.

I don't like that we are so diametrically opposed here when like you say, we come from similar backgrounds. But that's what has happened.

As for the US, Fox News may love Trump, the Washington Times and the NY Post will support him but do you really think he has that much support in the media? New York Times? CNN? MSNBC? I'm not familiar with every station and news outlet in the US but by their (admittedly very conservative) standards there are a lot of moderate/liberal outlets. Almost all of which oppose Trump.

It's a question of whether they can agree on the right democrat to oppose him. Hillary and her husband are nasty piece of work, and despite Trump being a terrible person and politician, I can understand why she lost. Married to a rapist (yes I know innocent until proven guilty blah blah, but Christopher Hitchens spoke to the victim and found her credible and I'd take his word over the creepy redneck any day of the week).

Bernie Sanders comes across as a decent man, he was screwed over by Hillary last time. I think Elizabeth Warren is also a credible candidate with her championing of consumer rights. They are two good candidates, for sure. Not exactly along my political leanings but closer than Trump.

Unfortunately you get the idiots like AAC who is extremely disingenuous with her statements on immigration ("children separated from their parents when they cross the border illegally") Umm, yeah, that's what tends to happen when a parent commits a crime! So yeah, the Democrats being so divided could make it difficult to win the election despite Trump's poor record so far.

This time you make a few points I can agree with because the US basically leaves people to fend for themselves with no safety net. Huge spending on the military despite already having the most powerful military by a country mile and having the support of many European allies and Japan who also have fairly powerful armed forces. Don't think for a minute that my political position is THAT right wing. My position was originally supportive of those who formed the Change UK group from different parties. Unfortunately moderate politics isn't very popular anymore so it didn't work out and therefore a choice had to be made, which wasn't difficult for me.

You clearly see Johnson as a British Trump, but there is little comparison between their education level and policy. Johnson is a classic well-educated conservative where Trump is a crass opportunist who has no strong political convictions. He just knows how to play to the gallery. Ah well, not much more to say is there?

Return to “General Non Darts Discussion”