Katie Hopkins

With separate forums for other sports, TV and films and General chat you can talk about whatever takes your fancy
User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 30548
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by nikkiboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 pm

And the cost of living has increased because pre WW2 we didn't have 55" TVs, iPhones, mobile contracts, broadband, branded trainers, cars, TV licence, oyster cards and the list goes on and on.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Black Velvet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:24 pm

Have we mentioned that Cameron, after promising that the same Royal Mail wasn't for sale, and his friends made millions off its undervalued shares?

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Black Velvet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm

Ah yes, it's advances in technology that have caused the cost of living to increase! :DDD:

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 30548
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by nikkiboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm

Rout wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:19 pm
nikkiboy wrote:
Rout wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm
Skewball wrote:oppressed??!! :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:

FFS, get a grip. In all of human history there is probably no better time to be alive and probably no better country (plenty on a par of course) to be living in.
Because of technological advances. Nothing to do with the way we are governed. Unless you claim that the plutocracy we live in are responsible for worldwide advances in science.

Take human advancement out of politics and the facts are that the cost of living has increased well beyond wage increases for the average guy. Never before post ww2 has it been harder to get on the property ladder. Much harder to be self employed now than it used to be. Hardly any unions left comparatively speaking.
Biggest load of shite I've ever read, here's a fact for you about home ownership, pre WWII nobody who wasn't gentry, upper or upper middle class owned their own home, nobody, it was unheard of because for one the facility was not there to fund it and two, we were a nation of renters.
Thatcher, that woman you claim hated the working class, made it possible for ordinary people to buy their own house at a reduced rate, this is one move created millions of families who owned their own homes. It created millions of people who suddenly had an asset behind them and a nest egg when the mortgage was paid.
You lament the loss of the same unions that brought the country to their knees in the late 70s, the same unions that forced employers like Royal mail to agree to index linked final salary pensions which put undue burden on current employees and the companies to meet those payments.
That's why I said "post ww2". Do you disagree it was easier to buy a house in the few decades post ww2 than it is now?

And selling off social housing under Thatcher and post governments is a huge part of why the media are constantly reporting on a "housing crisis" in 2020.

The world you aspire to live in is scary nick. If it was up to you we will all be working in amazon warehouses before long. Perhaps that's what it will take.
The normal people, middle and lower class never owned their own homes in the decades after the war. The big change came in the 80s, stop making up facts.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Black Velvet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:27 pm

Think you've quoted the wrong post there mate.

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 30548
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by nikkiboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:27 pm

Black Velvet wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm
Ah yes, it's advances in technology that have caused the cost of living to increase! :DDD:
Your iPhone was free? Broadband free? Laptop free? Mobile contract free?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 30548
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by nikkiboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:28 pm

Black Velvet wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:27 pm
Think you've quoted the wrong post there mate.
Damn you fat fingers!

Sorted.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Black Velvet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:28 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:27 pm
Black Velvet wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:25 pm
Ah yes, it's advances in technology that have caused the cost of living to increase! :DDD:
Your iPhone was free? Broadband free? Laptop free? Mobile contract free?

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Black Velvet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm

To address one of your examples, televisions are -6.54% cheaper in relation to inflation over the last 70 years.

User avatar
Booji Boy
International
Posts: 28442
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Booji Boy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 pm
Rout wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm
Skewball wrote:oppressed??!! :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:

FFS, get a grip. In all of human history there is probably no better time to be alive and probably no better country (plenty on a par of course) to be living in.
Because of technological advances. Nothing to do with the way we are governed. Unless you claim that the plutocracy we live in are responsible for worldwide advances in science.

Take human advancement out of politics and the facts are that the cost of living has increased well beyond wage increases for the average guy. Never before post ww2 has it been harder to get on the property ladder. Much harder to be self employed now than it used to be. Hardly any unions left comparatively speaking.
Biggest load of shite I've ever read, here's a fact for you about home ownership, pre WWII nobody who wasn't gentry, upper or upper middle class owned their own home, nobody, it was unheard of because for one the facility was not there to fund it and two, we were a nation of renters.
Thatcher, that woman you claim hated the working class, made it possible for ordinary people to buy their own house at a reduced rate, this is one move created millions of families who owned their own homes. It created millions of people who suddenly had an asset behind them and a nest egg when the mortgage was paid.
You lament the loss of the same unions that brought the country to their knees in the late 70s, the same unions that forced employers like Royal mail to agree to index linked final salary pensions which put undue burden on current employees and the companies to meet those payments.
I used to think that Thatcher introducing the right to by was a good thing. But in fact it turned out to be a very bad thing. Its the main reason house prices are out of control and far beyond the means of most youngish people today.

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 30548
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by nikkiboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 pm

Black Velvet wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm
To address one of your examples, televisions are -6.54% cheaper in relation to inflation over the last 70 years.
They are indeed but Netflix, amazon prime, NowTV, Sky Sports and Britbox are 100% more expensive.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

User avatar
nikkiboy
International
Posts: 30548
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by nikkiboy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Booji Boy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 pm
nikkiboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 pm
Rout wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm
Skewball wrote:oppressed??!! :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:

FFS, get a grip. In all of human history there is probably no better time to be alive and probably no better country (plenty on a par of course) to be living in.
Because of technological advances. Nothing to do with the way we are governed. Unless you claim that the plutocracy we live in are responsible for worldwide advances in science.

Take human advancement out of politics and the facts are that the cost of living has increased well beyond wage increases for the average guy. Never before post ww2 has it been harder to get on the property ladder. Much harder to be self employed now than it used to be. Hardly any unions left comparatively speaking.
Biggest load of shite I've ever read, here's a fact for you about home ownership, pre WWII nobody who wasn't gentry, upper or upper middle class owned their own home, nobody, it was unheard of because for one the facility was not there to fund it and two, we were a nation of renters.
Thatcher, that woman you claim hated the working class, made it possible for ordinary people to buy their own house at a reduced rate, this is one move created millions of families who owned their own homes. It created millions of people who suddenly had an asset behind them and a nest egg when the mortgage was paid.
You lament the loss of the same unions that brought the country to their knees in the late 70s, the same unions that forced employers like Royal mail to agree to index linked final salary pensions which put undue burden on current employees and the companies to meet those payments.
I used to think that Thatcher introducing the right to by was a good thing. But in fact it turned out to be a very bad thing. Its the main reason house prices are out of control and far beyond the means of most youngish people today.
There should have been a covenant that 50% of the income from each right to buy be put into the building of new homes, they didn't and its biting us on the arse now.
The policy itself was good but they didn't think about the future.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

User avatar
Booji Boy
International
Posts: 28442
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Booji Boy » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:36 pm
Booji Boy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 pm
nikkiboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:14 pm
Rout wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:02 pm
Skewball wrote:oppressed??!! :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:

FFS, get a grip. In all of human history there is probably no better time to be alive and probably no better country (plenty on a par of course) to be living in.
Because of technological advances. Nothing to do with the way we are governed. Unless you claim that the plutocracy we live in are responsible for worldwide advances in science.

Take human advancement out of politics and the facts are that the cost of living has increased well beyond wage increases for the average guy. Never before post ww2 has it been harder to get on the property ladder. Much harder to be self employed now than it used to be. Hardly any unions left comparatively speaking.
Biggest load of shite I've ever read, here's a fact for you about home ownership, pre WWII nobody who wasn't gentry, upper or upper middle class owned their own home, nobody, it was unheard of because for one the facility was not there to fund it and two, we were a nation of renters.
Thatcher, that woman you claim hated the working class, made it possible for ordinary people to buy their own house at a reduced rate, this is one move created millions of families who owned their own homes. It created millions of people who suddenly had an asset behind them and a nest egg when the mortgage was paid.
You lament the loss of the same unions that brought the country to their knees in the late 70s, the same unions that forced employers like Royal mail to agree to index linked final salary pensions which put undue burden on current employees and the companies to meet those payments.
I used to think that Thatcher introducing the right to by was a good thing. But in fact it turned out to be a very bad thing. Its the main reason house prices are out of control and far beyond the means of most youngish people today.
There should have been a covenant that 50% of the income from each right to buy be put into the building of new homes, they didn't and its biting us on the arse now.
The policy itself was good but they didn't think about the future.
The policy was shit because they did not think about the future.

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Black Velvet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:40 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:33 pm
Black Velvet wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:31 pm
To address one of your examples, televisions are -6.54% cheaper in relation to inflation over the last 70 years.
They are indeed but Netflix, amazon prime, NowTV, Sky Sports and Britbox are 100% more expensive.
100% more than nothing is nothing.

Rout
International
Posts: 8260
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 am

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Rout » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:49 pm

When referring to cost of living I am talking about "essentials". Like rent/mortgage, bills and so on. Not luxury extras like netflix ffs.

Wages have doubled, plus a smidge more whilst cost of housing has gone up over five-fold. Therefore much higher rents and mortgage.

The wages refer to the 99% btw. The lucky few at the top have seen their relative salaries explode 20-30 times higher.

Home ownership in 2020 is at its lowest level for well over 30 years now. Private renting at an all time high.

Thehateful180
The Ton Club
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Thehateful180 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 pm

Home ownership has become an obsession in this country. The JAM's (just about managing) spend their best years paying off their mortgage. Then they have to sell up to pay for their care once they get old.

ChrisW
International
Posts: 27981
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Maastricht

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by ChrisW » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Or they are paying a lot less in mortgage repayments that the escalating rent.

Black Velvet
County Player
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 am

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Black Velvet » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:19 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:47 pm
Or they are paying a lot less in mortgage repayments that the escalating rent.
Correct.

Thehateful180
The Ton Club
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 pm

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Thehateful180 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:32 pm

And that is precisely why landlords need to be controlled. For anyone who has worked hard and can comfortably afford a home, then fair play.

The reality for many young couples though is that they are absolutely burdened by a mortgage that becomes an albatross round their necks if they split up. Even if they stay together, they are stretching themselves to breaking point, and one mishap or misfortune can put them down a financial black hole they may never recover from.

User avatar
Paddy McGinty
International
Posts: 24383
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 am
Contact:

Re: Katie Hopkins

Post by Paddy McGinty » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:06 pm

We are all slaves to society and we don't make the rules.....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

Post Reply

Return to “General Non Darts Discussion”