The Sporting Newsflash Thread

The Cat
International

The Sporting Newsflash Thread

Post by The Cat »

Mark Hughes sacked.From the BBC website:

FOOTBALL - MARK HUGHES SACKED

Queens Park Rangers have sacked manager Mark Hughes with immediate effect, according to the club's Twitter account. Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki will take charge of the club's match against Manchester United.
nikkiboy
International

Re: The Sporting Newsflash Thread

Post by nikkiboy »

I am always amazed when these clubs sack the manager, the manager buys and picks the team (in most cases) which is ratified by the board, now if the team do not perform then that is more a case of overpaid prima donnas more interested in selling socks and perfume than playing football - imo and not necessarily the manager's fault. Of course there are always exceptions but most of the more successful sides have stable management in place - just saying like
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

nikkiboy wrote:I am always amazed when these clubs sack the manager, the manager buys and picks the team (in most cases) which is ratified by the board, now if the team do not perform then that is more a case of overpaid prima donnas more interested in selling socks and perfume than playing football - imo and not necessarily the manager's fault. Of course there are always exceptions but most of the more successful sides have stable management in place - just saying like
You dont follow football much do you?
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

How can you tell?

Seriously I dont watch much but what I have seen you have too many overpaid jessies who fall over a blade of grass and lack some of the basic footballing skills we see in school playgrounds. The problem when mediocre teams pay extortionate amounts of money for not extraordinary players is that they actually belive their own hype and think they are better than they are, they are not and managers pay too much money for these guys who do not deliver.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

Rumours Redknapp was appointed last week - they have been trying to sort out Hughes' compensation package. Heard it was close to £5M. Not bad for doing a poor job!
fling
County Player

Post by fling »

Stubby wrote:Rumours Redknapp was appointed last week - they have been trying to sort out Hughes' compensation package. Heard it was close to £5M. Not bad for doing a poor job!
If he was sacked his compensation package was in the region of £5m which is part of the reason why he was asked to resign last week.

I don't agree that he was doing a bad job but actually he was let down by his players week in week out.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

fling wrote:
Stubby wrote:Rumours Redknapp was appointed last week - they have been trying to sort out Hughes' compensation package. Heard it was close to £5M. Not bad for doing a poor job!
If he was sacked his compensation package was in the region of £5m which is part of the reason why he was asked to resign last week.

I don't agree that he was doing a bad job but actually he was let down by his players week in week out.
When the Manager of any team, be it in a sporting, business or service enviroment has players, employees or associates letting him or her, down week in, week out, trust me the Manager is doing a very bad job. The No. 1 requirement of a top quality Manager is to get the best out of his or her people. The advantage of being a bad football manager, unable to motivate and inspire your team to success is you get a huge payout.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Conor74
Steady Sixties

Post by Conor74 »

The Cat wrote:Mark Hughes sacked.From the BBC website:

FOOTBALL - MARK HUGHES SACKED

Queens Park Rangers have sacked manager Mark Hughes...
Mark Hughes sacked?
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Ben Ainslie has retired from Olympic Sailing - shame that I enjoyed watching his comeback this year from so far behind and the needle involved:

0846:
SAILING

British sailor Ben Ainslie will not bid for a fifth Olympic gold medal at the 2016 Rio Games and will instead focus on his Americas Cup campaign.

Speaking about Team GB repeating their London 2012 success in Rio, Ainslie told BBC Radio 5 live: "It is going to be hard because it was such a special moment competing at a home Olympics. It is hard to get any better than that. One of the biggest things of the summer was the announcement that we wanted to the first team to improve on our results following a home games."
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

1257:
FOOTBALL

West Ham have been confirmed as the preferred bidder for the Olympic Stadium.

"One behalf of West Ham, I feel privileged to have been granted the responsibility to play a key part in delivering a true Games legacy," West Ham vice-chairman Karren Brady said in a statement on the club website.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Col made it to the finals of the Masons arms single league. He also won the prize for the most 180,s in the league stage (3).
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Col wrote:Col made it to the finals of the Masons arms single league. He also won the prize for the most 180,s in the league stage (3).
Does the (3) refer to the number of 180's you hit or the number of people in the singles league? Did you get the bye into the final ? :)
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

WCDPA wrote:
Col wrote:Col made it to the finals of the Masons arms single league. He also won the prize for the most 180,s in the league stage (3).
Does the (3) refer to the number of 180's you hit or the number of people in the singles league? Did you get the bye into the final ? :)
Cheeky auld trout.

I hit three 180,s and I win a tenner for that woohooo.

There were 14 in the league, I finished second.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Nice work Col - have we decided what is happening Friday yet?
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

The Cat wrote:Nice work Col - have we decided what is happening Friday yet?
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Completely forgot and the babysitter is booked for saturday night, which is finals night of the darts league. You are more than welcome to come along to that, I think we are having a couple of other wee knockout comps alongside the semis and final.

Sorry man, totally forgot about this, must of been the excitement of winning a tenner.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Righto - Saturday would probably be better for me anyway - will check I have a babysitter later and get back to you.

Probably best to try changing your points after you've played :)
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

The Cat wrote:Righto - Saturday would probably be better for me anyway - will check I have a babysitter later and get back to you.

Probably best to try changing your points after you've played :)
I could probably pick you up at the train station as well although you will have to get a taxi back. My wife and a couple of other bods will be going. its a good night.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

1327:
TRANSFER LATEST

Sky Italia are reporting that AC Milan have made an official bid for Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli.

The report says that they have offered 24m euros which would be paid in six instalments and that the 22-year-old Italian would get a four-and-a-half year contract.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

1601:
TRANSFER LATEST

Press Association Sport understands a deal has been agreed for Manchester City striker Mario Balotelli to join AC Milan.

The Serie A team have agreed to pay around £20m for the player, with some of the fee being made up by bonuses.

City have so far made no comment on the matter.