Hype Hype and more Hype!

nikkiboy
International

Hype Hype and more Hype!

Post by nikkiboy »

As a Welshman who lives in England when sporting events like the world cup comes around it is amazing to me the amount of hype that the papers and TV give the poor England team.

Take yesterday as an example, trying to combine a speech from Churchill when this country was fighting for its very existance with a picture of Wayne Rooney is just ridiculous, it a football game for gods sake!

The England football team have not performed well so far but one wonders if the pressure from the media has anything to do with this?

For the last few months we have been constantly told that England are going to win, no doubts, yet any neutral observers would have said that they were at best a semi final team. The problem as I see it is that the more people are brainwashed by the media then the more they start to believe in what that media are telling them, examples:

1.England are going to win the world cup - well on this showing they will br lucky to make it out of the group and need to buck their ideas up to progress

2.Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Sainsburys are the cheapest places to buy your groceries and they have all rolled back their prices - well if all the prices are being constantly rolled back then how come your shopping bills are still increasing?

I think the media must take responsibility for their feeding frenzy, if you tell people that it is so enough times then ultimately they start to believe it. This extra responsibity on the player's shoulders and the extra expectation on those of the supporters is contributing to the poor performance.

Of course they may go on and win the damn thing, who knows but all I am asking for is a little realistic perspective from those with the power to change mindsets, you are supposed to print the news and not manipulate it, just give it a rest and let the players relax and just play.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Paddy McGinty
International

Re: Hype Hype and more Hype!

Post by Paddy McGinty »

nikkiboy wrote:As a Welshman who lives in England when sporting events like the world cup comes around it is amazing to me the amount of hype that the papers and TV give the poor England team.

Take yesterday as an example, trying to combine a speech from Churchill when this country was fighting for its very existance with a picture of Wayne Rooney is just ridiculous, it a football game for gods sake!

The England football team have not performed well so far but one wonders if the pressure from the media has anything to do with this?

For the last few months we have been constantly told that England are going to win, no doubts, yet any neutral observers would have said that they were at best a semi final team. The problem as I see it is that the more people are brainwashed by the media then the more they start to believe in what that media are telling them, examples:

1.England are going to win the world cup - well on this showing they will br lucky to make it out of the group and need to buck their ideas up to progress

2.Tesco, Asda, Morrisons and Sainsburys are the cheapest places to buy your groceries and they have all rolled back their prices - well if all the prices are being constantly rolled back then how come your shopping bills are still increasing?

I think the media must take responsibility for their feeding frenzy, if you tell people that it is so enough times then ultimately they start to believe it. This extra responsibility on the player's shoulders and the extra expectation on those of the supporters is contributing to the poor performance.

Of course they may go on and win the damn thing, who knows but all I am asking for is a little realistic perspective from those with the power to change mindsets, you are supposed to print the news and not manipulate it, just give it a rest and let the players relax and just play.
I agree with what you say some what, but I think the fans themselves must take some responsibility for there overinflated expectations. The majority of them are quite knowledgeable about the game, so why do they year after year, consider England to have a realistic chance of winning the World cup.
What do they base their assumptions on? Past Record?

The whole of the English Premiership is riddled with foreigners, if equally good homegrown talent could be found don't you think that managers would snap them up.

The Premiership may be arguably the best league in the World, but I'm afraid this is not down to it's English contingent of players and managers, the supporters should realise this, how many more embarrassing games must they watch before this finally sinks in?

By acting in this overconfident and pretentious way they are quickly becoming the laughing stock of the footballing World.
Get Real!
:bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

Paddy McGinty wrote: I agree with what you say some what, but I think the fans themselves must take some responsibility for there overinflated expectations. The majority of them are quite knowledgeable about the game, so why do they year after year, consider England to have a realistic chance of winning the World cup.
Surely supporters of most of the teams in the World Cup have hopes that their team has a realistic chance of Winning the World Cup !!!

I by no means believe that we are the favourites to Win it this year and I can honestly say that I have not met a single England fan who considers ourselves to be the favourites. Most would predict maybe a Quarter Final or Semi Final appearence being our best chance with hopes and fingers croseed with a bit of luck we can go further.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote: I agree with what you say some what, but I think the fans themselves must take some responsibility for there overinflated expectations. The majority of them are quite knowledgeable about the game, so why do they year after year, consider England to have a realistic chance of winning the World cup.
Surely supporters of most of the teams in the World Cup have hopes that their team has a realistic chance of Winning the World Cup !!!

I by no means believe that we are the favourites to Win it this year and I can honestly say that I have not met a single England fan who considers ourselves to be the favourites. Most would predict maybe a Quarter Final or Semi Final appearence being our best chance with hopes and fingers croseed with a bit of luck we can go further.
A good point Frankie, but my English mates are still convinced that the likes of Rooney, Gerrard etc are the best players in the world, after watching their recent performances I'm affraid that maybe they are not quite as good as my freinds would think, and i wish they would try to except this instead of blaming it on the media, manager etc.
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:

A good point Frankie, but my English mates are still convinced that the likes of Rooney, Gerrard etc are the best players in the world, after watching their recent performances I'm affraid that maybe they are not quite as good as my freinds would think, and i wish they would try to except this instead of blaming it on the media, manager etc.
it wasn't good was it paddy :D
seems strange that they could still win the group after playing so bad
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

jointer wrote:
The words chickens and hatched come to mind here Jointer, I hope they do get a result against Slovenia but it will not be the walkover some are expecting
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

nikkiboy wrote:
jointer wrote:
The words chickens and hatched come to mind here Jointer, I hope they do get a result against Slovenia but it will not be the walkover some are expecting
I'm certainly not expecting it
im not counting my chickens,i said they "could" win the group ;)
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

jointer wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
jointer wrote:
You sound like you are starting to except what I told you right from the start. Well done Jointer........... my job is nearly done.
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
jointer wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
jointer wrote:
You sound like you are starting to except what I told you right from the start. Well done Jointer........... my job is nearly done.
no my friend,i felt like this since it started
i didn't need anybody to tell me :D
were still in it by the way ;)
Pruttel
Brass Darts

Post by Pruttel »

Holland first team to qualify for next round :headbang:

Luckily for us Phil Taylor is not playing in the English squad
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

jointer wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
jointer wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
jointer wrote:
no my friend,i felt like this since it started
i didn't need anybody to tell me :D
were still in it by the way ;)
Yes you are still in it and I wish you all the luck for Wednesday. :bat:
jameshope
The Ton Club

Post by jameshope »

I think myself England have pinned their hopes on Rooney and it hasn't worked in the first two games to me Rooney dosen't look fully fit whereas Heskey is labouring why not go in for the Slovenia game with the Tottenham front two of Crouch & Defoe
TROUBLEAGAIN
Superleague Player

Post by TROUBLEAGAIN »

jameshope wrote:I think myself England have pinned their hopes on Rooney and it hasn't worked in the first two games to me Rooney dosen't look fully fit whereas Heskey is labouring why not go in for the Slovenia game with the Tottenham front two of Crouch & Defoe
Cant do any worse than Rooney and Ivanhoe...
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

What is going to happen to Terry when England are knocked out. I can see him becoming public enemy numero uno ;)
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

mod500 wrote:What is going to happen to Terry when England are knocked out. I can see him becoming public enemy numero uno ;)
A good point, they may be home on Thursday...... I think he deserves all he gets, he should of kept his big mouth shut and not ran to the media, what a dork.