Sky to lose all Champions League football?

Ginge
International

Sky to lose all Champions League football?

Post by Ginge »

Oh, and ITV as well. Bad news if true

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Re: Sky to lose all Champions League football?

Post by nikkiboy »

And the bad news is?
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Well it's been confirmed. BT have won the lot. And the Europa League.

Bad news for those who have enjoyed CL football on ITV for the past twenty or so years. And bad news for Sky customers who will now have to fork out for a second sub. And I don't even think BT have the capability of showing 8 matches a night on Sky either.
Big Jock Knew
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

"As part of the deal, BT has assured Uefa it will make a wide range of matches free to air."
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Sky dominance is over now and that is great news for the consumer.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The Cat wrote:"As part of the deal, BT has assured Uefa it will make a wide range of matches free to air."
I wonder if they'll tie up with another channel or launch a free to air digital channel
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:Sky dominance is over now and that is great news for the consumer.
It would be if costs to subscribe went down due to competition. Until that happens I shall reserve judgement.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
The Cat wrote:"As part of the deal, BT has assured Uefa it will make a wide range of matches free to air."
I wonder if they'll tie up with another channel or launch a free to air digital channel
They will just take the encryption off their existing channel for the duration of the match.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Make the most of it, I think satellite and cable operators will be a thing of the past, come the future as band width increases you will be able to watch anything you want, when you want via the Google fibre network or Apple TV and the like. I'm convinced this will become the norm in the near future the networks are already in place throughout major cities throughout the states. It's only a matter of time.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Paddy McGinty wrote:Make the most of it, I think satellite and cable operators will be a thing of the past, come the future as band width increases you will be able to watch anything you want, when you want via the Google fibre network or Apple TV and the like. I'm convinced this will become the norm in the near future the networks are already in place throughout major cities throughout the states. It's only a matter of time.
There are no current plans to upgrade Sheffield city exchange to Infinity, for example. All the other exchanges in Sheffield have. Seems odd but must be a reason for it. Too old maybe?
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Make the most of it, I think satellite and cable operators will be a thing of the past, come the future as band width increases you will be able to watch anything you want, when you want via the Google fibre network or Apple TV and the like. I'm convinced this will become the norm in the near future the networks are already in place throughout major cities throughout the states. It's only a matter of time.
There are no current plans to upgrade Sheffield city exchange to Infinity, for example. All the other exchanges in Sheffield have. Seems odd but must be a reason for it. Too old maybe?
A new fibre cab has been installed around a mile from me, I am connected into this, the speed is good, around 9 megs but it would be better if I was closer to the cabinet. Digital technology is moving so fast now, connection speeds may not merely rely on hard wired systems. The ability to watch HQ digital programs in a flexible environment on all platforms will become the future. No need to be plugged into a dish or cable, gone are the constraints.

paDDs :bat:
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The advancement of 4g and the like will make hard wired networks redundant soon and as pads says Google or apple TV on demand and live will ultimately replace digital.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

This is bad news for PDC darts considering Champions League football subscribers will be the same demographic as those who watch darts.

As a result, there now needs to be a concerted effort to get PDC darts on BT Sport. Potentially, if the BDO get there first, it could be a fantastic opportunity for them.

Unlike its predecessors in that channel 'slot', BT have collateral and are still making big profits despite their outlay this season.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

It won't happen overnight Dannyboy, but it will come in time.
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

For me good news is that fibre optic cables are being laid in the village and the work is being completed at an alarming rate. It is going to cost Deutsche Telekom a huge amount of money as over 70% of our village and the surrounding towns and villages are moving away from them to the new optic connections which is not only internet at 100 megs per second upload and download but it also offers phone connections and TV packages. That's not tv on internet that is normal tv, but with such a great internet connection speed I will be able to see a 9 darter thrown before the match has even started :)
Image ImageImage Image
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

I remember reading about this.

BT are offering all the group games as free to air. But after that, you then need to subscribe to watch the rest of the knockout games.

Sky... Bet they're hating it.
Do I know any jokes about Sodium Hypobromite?

NaBrO
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

More time for repeats of the darts :)
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

legend670 wrote:I remember reading about this.

BT are offering all the group games as free to air. But after that, you then need to subscribe to watch the rest of the knockout games.

Where have you read this?

As far as I am aware they will only be showing the odd game here and there for free. Certainly not "all" the group games.
Big Jock Knew
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

Ginge wrote:
legend670 wrote:I remember reading about this.

Where have you read this?

As far as I am aware they will only be showing the odd game here and there for free. Certainly not "all" the group games.
Sorry Ginge, by all I mean "all" that are normally shown on ITV and Sky. I read about it on the BT Sport website and also enquired about it on the phone to BT, they said that what I had asked them was "correct but we cannot give any more details at present"

Make of that what you will.
Do I know any jokes about Sodium Hypobromite?

NaBrO
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Suits me I'm swapping to BT Fibre Broadband soon and will get BT Sports free with it :)