Still the cup holders.

devosteve
International

Still the cup holders.

Post by devosteve »

It's 3.01pm. Wigan Athletic are still the holders of the FA Cup! hopefully will bump this as we progress through each round as we defend our trophy and win it for the 2nd time!!

Come on the mighty latics! Wigan really has turned blue.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
devosteve
International

Re: Still the cup holders.

Post by devosteve »

Sweet. Cardiff next.

Win the cup and relegated 2013, win the cup and promoted 2014!

Ps will be interesting if Everton win the cup this year re Martinez!
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

phil davies wrote:We will beat you my friend a welcome distraction from our poor league form.

Big month for us Febuary

Norwitch (h)
Jacks(a) easy three points here
Wigan(h)cup
Fulham(h)
Villa(h)
Phil Davis footie predictions as good as his darts! :)

Wigan Athletic, still the holders of the FA cup: still in the comp. Come on the mighty latics!
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

phil davies wrote:
devosteve wrote:
phil davies wrote:We will beat you my friend a welcome distraction from our poor league form.

Big month for us Febuary

Norwitch (h)
Wigan(h)cup
Fulham(h)
Villa(h)
Phil Davis footie predictions as good as his darts! :)

Wigan Athletic, still the holders of the FA cup: still in the comp. Come on the mighty latics!
We played completely and utterly Shit against you.

not another one these sad people
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Big month for us Febuary

Norwitch (h)
Wigan(h)cup
Fulham(h)
Villa(h)
:DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:

Cardiff scummmmmmm ;) ;)
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Because you use WE, you are not part of the team, you are not on the pitch.

My local which closed recently, was the chelsea supporters club, these sad people would turn up for a match, grown men in their jerseys and talkk how they won or how "we played them off the park".

Never one to hide my feelings i would always ask who this WE they were referring to, again they are not on the pitch, not part of the squad, have no say in anything.

To me its like some sad people looking for a sense of belonging, trying to associate themselves to something in order to make themselves feel part of something which they are not
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

I have travelled to another country to watch west ham up to 8 or 9 times a season in the past, at great expense too, and never used the term 2we" as i am not stupid enough to believe i am ever going to be part of the team, etc.

I support the hammers but this WE thing makes a person look sad
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Justin Credible wrote:I have travelled to another country to watch west ham up to 8 or 9 times a season in the past, at great expense too, and never used the term 2we" as i am not stupid enough to believe i am ever going to be part of the team, etc.

There is no team without the we.

Many times you will hear teams saying we couldnt have done it without the support of the fans. That makes the fans a part of the club.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

phil davies wrote:
Col wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:I have travelled to another country to watch west ham up to 8 or 9 times a season in the past, at great expense too, and never used the term 2we" as i am not stupid enough to believe i am ever going to be part of the team, etc.

There is no team without the we.

Many times you will hear teams saying we couldnt have done it without the support of the fans. That makes the fans a part of the club.
Nail on the head my friend. :DDDD:
Get stuffed you bluebird twatttt ;) ;) ;) ;)
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

phil davies wrote:

What so you always refer to the team as West ham when talking to people about them?

That's more weird IMO.

If I go back to the pub after a game people ask how did Cardiff play today?etc. then I'm not exactly going to say Cardiff played shit.etc. It makes more sense to say we.

you could say they played well/ bad or whatever, this whole WE is like i said some sad way for people to try fill some sense of belonging and fool themselves into thinking they are an actual part and reason why the team performed so well

you are british, you vote in britain, and therefore part of the register, do you say WE when you speak about the government in power ?
I highly doubt it,
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

Justin Credible wrote:
phil davies wrote:

What so you always refer to the team as West ham when talking to people about them?

That's more weird IMO.

If I go back to the pub after a game people ask how did Cardiff play today?etc. then I'm not exactly going to say Cardiff played shit.etc. It makes more sense to say we.

you could say they played well/ bad or whatever, this whole WE is like i said some sad way for people to try fill some sense of belonging and fool themselves into thinking they are an actual part and reason why the team performed so well

you are british, you vote in britain, and therefore part of the register, do you say WE when you speak about the government in power ?
I highly doubt it,

You are really struggling if that is the best example you can come up with. You don`t even know if he supports the government in power.

A fair comparison in your example would have been: You are British and when speaking about Britain to someone who isn`t do you use `we`. The answer is almost certainly yes.
Image ImageImage Image
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

avalon wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:
phil davies wrote:

That's more weird IMO.

I highly doubt it,

You are really struggling if that is the best example you can come up with. You don`t even know if he supports the government in power.

A fair comparison in your example would have been: You are British and when speaking about Britain to someone who isn`t do you use `we`. The answer is almost certainly yes.
Guess that is where I differ from you.

I never use we for a football team, be it local, or international, or my national side, nor do i use the phrase when it comes to government or anything.

The only "WE" in my life is my family, I do not need to say WE for every little thing in my life in order to create some sort of bond where none exists.

What next, muppets who go to the pdc pl nights saying WE the pdc cos they pay money for a ticket and like the pdc and go as often as they can, is that not the same as football, or perhaps pdc fans say WE when refering to the pdc versus bdo in things like the Grand Slam.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

interesting points JC but to be honest when Wigan (I know not me) won the FA cup if someone would have asked "who won the cup" I would have said, "we did". I will make comments like, "I remember when we played at Springfield park with less than 2,000 fans", "I would never have believed we would have been in the top flight" and so on.

Now I don't use we when referring to music or other sports but I think it is just a natural term to use with your nation (we won x amount of medals, we won the world cup in 66) and football is a little different than other sports. Don't know if this is a tribal thing but I may change my support for different darts players (Like / now dislike Taylor, may like and dislike some sports as we move on in life, and even have 'gone off' football itself recently but:

I will always be a Wigan Athletic fan. Might make me sad but I can't help it. It's inside. Maybe difficult to explain to some but many footie fans understand this.

A kid once said to me: "who do you support?" my reply: "Wigan Athletic". Kid, "But they are rubbish". Me: "What's that got to do with it".
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

for me it just seemed so wrong when it initially struck me with people using we.
From a young kid right up to adulthood I could not fully grasp this whole we thing.

Men who never attended an international match in their entire lives, be it rugby, football etc and only saw irish victories as an excuse for a drinking session shouting we won or we did this.
I always thought where does the we come into it.
Likewise with grown men in football jerseys standing in a pub watching a match shouting we won, how, you are not in the team or even in the same country.
As I mentioned earlier, what next, we the pdc, we the government, we men, etc

I never speak for the national team, all men, the pdc or anything but my family in terms of we,
When some person says "that will learn you" or "can you borrow me some money" in that it its wrong and annoying we has a similar effect,. it just strikes me as something some sad lonely empty vessel would say in order to give him some sense of belonging
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Sweet.

If Wigan Athletic win back to back FA Cups: would this be the greatest cup story ever?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

phil davies wrote:
devosteve wrote:Sweet.

If Wigan Athletic win back to back FA Cups: would this be the greatest cup story ever?
Good luck hope you win it.
Watch out Phil: JC might get upset with the, "you win it" bit. But I sure hope We do win it!! :)

Btw Wigan the form team at the moment in the championship.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

phil davies wrote:
devosteve wrote:Sweet.

Good luck hope you win it.

"he" might even get the winner.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Oh well, the dream ends.

Well played Wigan. Now for the play offs! Hopefully!