Seeding wrong??

ChunkIOW
Pub Champion

Seeding wrong??

Post by ChunkIOW »

Any one got much interest in tennis? I used to follow quite a bit but now just as and when, I am completely not understanding the seeding at Wimbledon this year!...

I know they work ranking the seeded players slightly differently at Wimbledon than they usual do on the tour and other majors but the implementation of the actual draw and who plays who, I.E Seed one would usually play Seed 32, then 16, then 8, then 4. But that's not what they've done this year??

For example, Ladies Draw round 3,

Seed 1 vrs Seed 25 - surely this should be Seed 1 vrs Seed 32??
13 v 20 - 13 & 19
9 v 24 - this ones right
11 v 19 - 11 & 22
10 v 23 - this ones right
6 v 30 - 6 & 27
And so on, men's the same as well, looks all over the place. Which in my mind makes the seeding completely wrong and a waste of time?

Anyone got any ideas?
It's better to be lucky than good!
Ginge
International

Re: Seeding wrong??

Post by Ginge »

No, it certainly isnt "wrong", seeding isnt done like that in tennis. It's more random but still has a pattern.

Seed 1 is at the top of the draw
Seed 2 is at the bottom.
Seeds 3/4 are drawn randomly, one to each half but in the opposite quarter to seeds 1 and 2
Seeds 5/6/7/8 are drawn randomly, one to each quarter but in the opposite eighth to seeds 1,2,3 and 4
Seeds 9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16 are drawn randomly, one in each eighth but in the opposite sixteenth to seeds 1-8
Finally, seeds 17-32 are drawn randomly, one to each sixteenth.

Therefore seed #1 could play any of seeds 17 through 32 in the Last 32.

Snooker operates in exactly the same way (outside of the Crucible) with 16 seeds. All tennis events operate in this way.

Hope this helps.

IMO, darts should work the same way, the number of times over the years I have seen Hamilton land in the same part of the draw as Taylor and just despaired I can probably count into double figures! Dunno how it is a "waste of time", a #1 seed is still getting rewarded with an easier draw than, say, a #8 seed. It stops the same match-ups happening all of the time.
Big Jock Knew
ChunkIOW
Pub Champion

Re: Seeding wrong??

Post by ChunkIOW »

Ah, cheers Ginge, very insightful as always!

Ok, that makes sense now, I just assumed most seedings in most sports ran 1-32 2-31 etc.

Shame, but looks like I'm going to have to agree with you again, this certainly does make more sense if over a season or two the rankings don't change that much.
It's better to be lucky than good!