The Boxing Thread...

Agent 86
Superleague Player

The Boxing Thread...

Post by Agent 86 »

Unbeaten New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker's elimination bout against Frenchman Carlos Takam will take place in Auckland on May 21 will be held at Vodafone Events Centre in Manukau, Auckland, New Zealand. The winner of the fight will become the IBF's mandatory No.1 challenger & likely fight some hick English boxer who will get smashed over with ease by Parker.
[font=Goudy Stout]The Unicorn 2016 World Matchplay Prediction Game Champion[/font]
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Re: The Boxing Thread...

Post by Agent 86 »

Joseph Parker and Carlos Takam have both declared themselves ready to clear the last hurdle to a shot at a world heavyweight boxing title. The pair step into the ring in Auckland on Saturday, with the winner becoming the mandatory challenger for the IBF belt held by Britain's Anthony Joshua.
The occasion marks a step up for hometown favourite Parker, who is unbeaten over 18 professional fights but faces a French-based Cameroonian opponent boasting strong credentials.
"I have a lot of respect for Carlos and what he has done in his career," Parker said on Wednesday. "He has been in the ring with some big names."
But the fight represents a chance for the 24-year-old to take a huge stride towards his goal of becoming world champion. "I'm not going to let anything stand in the way," he said. "Come Saturday night, we're ready. We're ready to do what we have to and that's to get the victory."
Joseph Parker faces Carlos Takam in his next fight.© Getty Images Joseph Parker faces Carlos Takam in his next fight.
Takam, 35, arrived in New Zealand last week and has sparred with local boxer Junior Fa, who beat Parker in their amateur days.
But Parker played down what special insights Takam might have gained from his rounds with Fa so close to the fight.
"I believe all the hard work has been done with the 12 weeks we had in Vegas and the 12 weeks that he had in Paris," he said.
"Right now, it's just keeping sharp, making sure everything is flowing properly, just eating healthy and getting a lot of good rest."
Takam has a record of 33 wins, two losses and a draw.He said he didn't know much about Parker before he took on the fight but, having done his research, rated the New Zealander as a great young boxer.
But victory over Parker was hugely important for him at this stage of his career.
"He is in my path," Takam said. "I think that with time he is going to be one of the best, probably the next Ali"

That guy is very wise.
[font=Goudy Stout]The Unicorn 2016 World Matchplay Prediction Game Champion[/font]
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

Agent 86 wrote:Unbeaten New Zealand heavyweight Joseph Parker's elimination bout against Frenchman Carlos Takam will take place in Auckland on May 21 will be held at Vodafone Events Centre in Manukau, Auckland, New Zealand. The winner of the fight will become the IBF's mandatory No.1 challenger & likely fight some hick English boxer who will get smashed over with ease by Parker.
Parker is a very good boxer but Joshua would make him look silly IMO. Too much power - not saying that Parker isn't a massive puncher but Joshua wins this within 4 rounds.
Do I know any jokes about Sodium Hypobromite?

NaBrO
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

We will see.
Seems a fairly even match, I'm naturally bias to Parker obviously, but, have found Parker actually has something between his ears, as well as a punch. Parker should out smart Joshua.
THE ONE AND ONLY
On The Naughty Step

Post by THE ONE AND ONLY »

I only recall real boxers and one comes to mind as Ali whom I recall in 1993 as most probably being the only guy from fife

whom has laid a hand on the man as I stood at the entrance of Waterstones bookstore in Princes st Edinburgh
and also just after made my way up the winding stairway just to your right
in from main doorway and into the main room , as he then came from the lift heading to the main table
at the end of the room , where he was taken from just beforehand the Glasgow equivalent to sign autobiographies

ive pics from that very day I took of the one of the Greatest in Ali
and is where also I met the best ever light weight champion of the World
from British shores in Ken Buchanan whom he had the title brought back from Puerto Rico in the early 70s
when at a time the fight game was so much bigger and he Ken never received the recognition he should have

Also met Ken Buchanan some yrs ago in a bar in Leith and a good guy he seemed also .

But not many can say they laid hands on the Greatest in Ali < But I did that very day in 1993 .
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

Parker beats Takam by unanimous decision.

Relief mixed with joy in Joseph Parker's camp after surviving the grimmest examination of his career and striding into the upper echelon of world heavyweight boxing. Parker is a mandatory challenger for the IBF world title after beating durable Cameroon opponent Carlos Takam by unanimous decision in their IBF eliminator fight in Auckland last night.

The 24-year-old will probably challenge for the belt within a year, most likely in England against current champion Anthony Joshua, the unbeaten Olympic champion.

Parker is sure to fight again before then but probably not against an opponent as risky as French-based 35-year-old Takam, who proved to be as unrelenting as his reputation had promised. After waltzing through most of his previous 18 professional fights, Parker met a smart, tough opponent who trainer Kevin Barry feared may have done enough to beat his charge.

"I thought it was a 50-50 coming in and I thought it was 50-50 at the end," Barry said. "I was hoping the judges would score for Joe's jab. He displayed a fantastic double jab which won him a lot of the later rounds for us."

"It was great for the New Zealand public just to see how much of a classy, skilful fighter Joseph Parker is." Barry says there is ample room to improve over the next year before any showdown with Joshua (16-0), who took the IBF title off American Charles Martin in April.

Joshua, who must defend it against undefeated American Dominic Breazeale in June, is nevertheless in the sights of Parker's promoter Dean Lonergan. "With this performance he has put Anthony Joshua on notice," Lonergan said. "We are now heading to England to explode the myth that is Anthony Joshua."
THE ONE AND ONLY
On The Naughty Step

No ones heard of these people your on about ^^ muppet ..I can see jealousy is rearing its ugly head again saddo :)
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

THE ONE AND ONLY wrote:No ones heard of these people your on about ^^ muppet ..I can see jealousy is rearing its ugly head again saddo :)
I know who he is on about. So unless you have something interesting to say on this thread then don't bother?

NaBrO
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

Agent 86 wrote:Parker beats Takam by unanimous decision.

Relief mixed with joy in Joseph Parker's camp after surviving the grimmest examination of his career and striding into the upper echelon of world heavyweight boxing. Parker is a mandatory challenger for the IBF world title after beating durable Cameroon opponent Carlos Takam by unanimous decision in their IBF eliminator fight in Auckland last night.

The 24-year-old will probably challenge for the belt within a year, most likely in England against current champion Anthony Joshua, the unbeaten Olympic champion.

Parker is sure to fight again before then but probably not against an opponent as risky as French-based 35-year-old Takam, who proved to be as unrelenting as his reputation had promised. After waltzing through most of his previous 18 professional fights, Parker met a smart, tough opponent who trainer Kevin Barry feared may have done enough to beat his charge.

"I thought it was a 50-50 coming in and I thought it was 50-50 at the end," Barry said. "I was hoping the judges would score for Joe's jab. He displayed a fantastic double jab which won him a lot of the later rounds for us."

"It was great for the New Zealand public just to see how much of a classy, skilful fighter Joseph Parker is." Barry says there is ample room to improve over the next year before any showdown with Joshua (16-0), who took the IBF title off American Charles Martin in April.

Joshua, who must defend it against undefeated American Dominic Breazeale in June, is nevertheless in the sights of Parker's promoter Dean Lonergan. "With this performance he has put Anthony Joshua on notice," Lonergan said. "We are now heading to England to explode the myth that is Anthony Joshua."
I watched the fight in the morning over here - IMO it wasn't that great a fight. Defence was left wide open on both fighters at times and some big shots were landed.

What I don't agree with is people like David Haye and Shannon Briggs fighting these bums with apparently "29" wins on their record (Hayes opponent anyway). These fights aren't going to challenge the likes of Joshua and Parker at the moment. I know Parker is now the mandatory for the IBF and will be after Joshua and so will Haye when/if he beats Briggs. BUT there should be another fight in between. Haye vs Parker. This shouldn't affect Parker's mandatory position BUT will be a stern test for both men. Both claim to be able to beat Joshua - let them fight and see who comes out on top. Haye needs to be pushed beyond 2 rounds (lol) and Parker needs a veteran opponent.

That's what I would like to see anyway.

NaBrO
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

legend670 wrote:
THE ONE AND ONLY wrote:No ones heard of these people your on about ^^ muppet ..I can see jealousy is rearing its ugly head again saddo :)
I know who he is on about. So unless you have something interesting to say on this thread then don't bother?
PS, I'm not saying that meeting Ali isn't interesting. But Agent seems to know a bit about Parker and it is good to have a conversation about something other than darts.

Don't call him a saddo when, in actual fact he knows what he's on about.

NaBrO
THE ONE AND ONLY
On The Naughty Step

All im saying is todays boxers aint in the same league as back in the 70s era for instance check out your now champions

in each weight division , and compare with each times and there is no contest , as way back them days

the competition was much more tougher , and more so talent them days in the game
and in times also when it was 15 rounds they went ..todays heavy weight division is the weakest of all eras.

I seen both eras back them days and today , and so know what was the tougher eras

and as said theres no comparison at all , as them champs today your talking about would never have been close
to being champs in them days . As simple as because theyre all fat puddings and slow
they telegraph their punches <- Meaning you can see their punches coming and easy to avoid
then a quick one two and theyre on their fat arses and out for the count :box:
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

I don't know if I agree with you. In some areas yes, others not at all.

I think the Heavyweight division is ok. Deontay Wilder since he has won the belt - has gone a lot more defensive. He used to be happy throwing massive shots about and takings risks, but not now. He is happy to do what he has to do to hold onto the strap. But I get that, and would probably do the same thing in fairness.

Those fights on the Haye card weren't fights at all (bar one good fight I saw). It was a ridiculous night of "boxing" and I'm glad I watched it to see just how bad it was.

Of course the Heavyweight division was better years ago. You don't know to say that because everyone know it. It's a money game now, more so than back then. It was stagnant for a while but has picked up again recently, just hope it stays exciting for a while.

NaBrO
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

New Zealand has only ever produced heavy weights, must be something in the water. We only see the boxing on Sky pay to view, so we don't see much. You're right Parker came up against a good fighter the other night, first time he's been past 4 rounds in his pro fights, but he showed he could last the distance, even picking it up in the 8th. Hey, he's only 24 years old, he's the one to watch. All the others are on the downhill slide, Parkers on the up, and his trainer Kevin Barry, is no mug.c
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

Kiwi boxer Joseph Parker is one step closer to a heavyweight world title after cruising past Ukrainian Alexander Dimitrenko by knock out in Auckland last night. Parker, 24, went into the bout as favourite against his towering foe and did not disappoint, landing flurry after flurry of quick punches to leave Dimitrenko gasping for air. He then proceeded to finish him off early in the third round with a right body blow to the flank. A left hook to the body put Dimitrenko on the canvas within two minutes, causing the 201cm Ukrainian to play defensive as the first round drew to a close.
Dimitrenko came out with venom in the second round, throwing a number of left-handed punches, before Parker knocked him to the ground again with a right overhand followed by body blows. In the third round, Parker hit Dimitrenko with a right body blow to the flank that left the Ukrainian writhing in agony and screaming like a stuck pig and forcing referee Marlon Wright to call time on the fight. Dimitrenko was rushed to hospital suspected as having multiple broken ribs and internal injuries.
The Auckland-born Parker, who now carries an enviable career record of 21-0
Parker will now continue on towards an IBF title bout in November or March against Anthony Joshua, who he is expected to also put in hospital. :bath
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Agent 86 wrote:Kiwi boxer Joseph Parker is one step closer to a heavyweight world title after cruising past Ukrainian Alexander Dimitrenko by knock out in Auckland last night. Parker, 24, went into the bout as favourite against his towering foe and did not disappoint, landing flurry after flurry of quick punches to leave Dimitrenko gasping for air. He then proceeded to finish him off early in the third round with a right body blow to the flank. A left hook to the body put Dimitrenko on the canvas within two minutes, causing the 201cm Ukrainian to play defensive as the first round drew to a close.
Dimitrenko came out with venom in the second round, throwing a number of left-handed punches, before Parker knocked him to the ground again with a right overhand followed by body blows. In the third round, Parker hit Dimitrenko with a right body blow to the flank that left the Ukrainian writhing in agony and screaming like a stuck pig and forcing referee Marlon Wright to call time on the fight. Dimitrenko was rushed to hospital suspected as having multiple broken ribs and internal injuries.
Parker will now continue on towards an IBF title bout in November or March against Anthony Joshua, who he is expected to also put in hospital. :bath
AJ vs Parker, for me is similar to the Antipodean expectation, that was there for Lennox Lewis vs David Tua, way back in 2000. Whilst Tua was vaunted as a big hitter who would cause Lennox massive problems, this was not the case, as Lennox toyed with him for 12 rounds, winning a very one sided contest, with a unanimous decision on the judge's scorecards. Parker will get beat, equally as comfortably, with AJ not needing the scorecard to confirm his win.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

ssjsa wrote:
Agent 86 wrote:Kiwi boxer Joseph Parker is one step closer to a heavyweight world title after cruising past Ukrainian Alexander Dimitrenko by knock out in Auckland last night. Parker, 24, went into the bout as favourite against his towering foe and did not disappoint, landing flurry after flurry of quick punches to leave Dimitrenko gasping for air. He then proceeded to finish him off early in the third round with a right body blow to the flank. A left hook to the body put Dimitrenko on the canvas within two minutes, causing the 201cm Ukrainian to play defensive as the first round drew to a close.
AJ vs Parker, for me is similar to the Antipodean expectation, that was there for Lennox Lewis vs David Tua, way back in 2000. Whilst Tua was vaunted as a big hitter who would cause Lennox massive problems, this was not the case, as Lennox toyed with him for 12 rounds, winning a very one sided contest, with a unanimous decision on the judge's scorecards. Parker will get beat, equally as comfortably, with AJ not needing the scorecard to confirm his win.
Joshua's showboat style of boxing will not save him from Parkers workman like punch. When Parker hits someone, they know it.
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

New Zealand boxer Joseph Parker will fight Mexican Andy Ruiz for the WBO world heavyweight title in Auckland in December.
The WBO title was vacated by Briton Tyson Fury earlier this month after revelations he was suffering from depression and drug addiction. WBO gave the order for Parker and Ruiz to fight during its convention in San Juan, in Puerto Rico. The bout is likely to be on 10 December.
Ruiz, 27, is unbeaten over 29 fights with 19 knockouts while Parker, 24, has an unbeaten run over 21 fights with 18 knockouts.
Parker is expected to kick Ruiz arse.
Agent 86
Superleague Player

Post by Agent 86 »

Joseph Parker has created history, winning the WBO Heavyweight boxing title for New Zealand.
Parker handed out an arse kicking to defeat Andy Ruiz Jr by majority decision (114-114, 115-113 x 2) in front of a raucous crowd at Auckland’s Vector Arena.
After starting slowly – as he often does – Parker found his rhythm and range in the fourth and fifth round, with Ruiz finishing strongly in the final two frames of the fight.
A gracious Ruiz thanked the New Zealand crowd and said he hoped they could rematch in the future.
Bigger fights, with considerably larger pay-checks, on the world stage await for Parker, with matches against Anthony Joshua orDeontay Wilder both a possibility. Joshua fights in the UK overnight.
The first round went to Ruiz, who established his lighting jab and beat Parker to the punch.
Parker went to the body in the second with some success but Ruiz came back strong in the last minute of the round, getting inside and rocking the hometown favourite.
The third was more of the same as a much more relaxed Ruiz landed more andParker seemed hesitant to let his hands fly.
The fourth was Parker’s best, landing a few nice jabs and finding a home for some heavier shots as well.
Parker found a rhythm in the fifth, still backing up but finding a range for his jab as Ruiz seemed to slow slightly.
Ruiz tired in sixth but kept advancing, forcing Parker backwards.
Although Ruiz wasn’t the punching bag many fans are used to seeing Parker fight, he showed considerable redness on both eyes in the seventh.
Parker cut Ruiz in the seventh, but still didn’t stop walking forward.
The eighth and ninth could have gone either way with Ruiz visibly slowing, but Parker still unwilling to let his hand go.
The Kiwi hadRuiz in trouble in the 10th, the crowd smelling a stoppage, but Ruiz – who has never been knocked out – stayed strong in the middle of the ring.
Ruiz found a second wind (at least) in the 11th and went to work with some dirty boxing on the inside.
The Mexican’s resurgence continued in the 12th and final round, landing every time Parker initiated.
But in the end Parker was the aggressor and the Judges saw it that way too.
Joshua will be trebling in his boots now, knowing an arse kicking is on its way to see him, who has a World Title round his waist.