R.I.P Muhammad Ali

Agent 86
Superleague Player

R.I.P Muhammad Ali

Post by Agent 86 »

Muhammad Ali, widely hailed as the greatest heavyweight boxer in the sport’s history, died late Friday night after being hospitalized in Arizona Thursday with a respiratory issue.

Ali, 74, had suffered from Parkinson’s disease since the 1980s. After a 32-year battle with Parkinson’s disease, Muhammad Ali has passed away at the age of 74.

A great man.
[font=Goudy Stout]The Unicorn 2016 World Matchplay Prediction Game Champion[/font]
The Crusader
International

Re: R.I.P Muhammad Ali

Post by The Crusader »

The term legend can correctly be used to describe that man, R.I.P Champ.
Thinking of one.
THE ONE AND ONLY
On The Naughty Step

Post by THE ONE AND ONLY »

I recall when Ali was brought over from Glasgow to Edinburghs Waterstone bookstore in Princes street in 1993
i seen all the crowds all way along to nearbye frasers at the end of the street and at that time i walked all the way
to the very front not just in front of the rather long queue but right at the door of Waterstones main doorway
and i stood by the side of the main doorway alone awaiting the arrival of the champ.

weird as it was at that time but their was not one doorman on the door in which came to me as a surprise
but any how all the better for me i thought to meet one of my heroes in Muhammad Ali
i had heard just before from asking a guy in the queue as to when Ali would be arriving
and was told approx 5 mins time from now and why i then just walked up the street
and then stood on the main doorway awaiting Ali's arrival

and also noted that on the winding stairway to my right hand side just inside main doorway where i stood
was a large queue also leading all the way up the winding stairway of Waterstones and leading into the main room upstairs

Anyhow as the guy told me 5 mins later approx i then had heard the sound of two police cycles
one on either side of a black cab ( Later heard Ali was brought from Glasgows Waterstones bookstore in a trains carriage
to Edinburghs Waverley station and then black cab the short distance to Princes street store
anyhow once the cab came to a halt outside the store in princes street nxt to a bus stop
that's when the police cycles then left the area

and then Ali along with his two minders came out of the cab and walked towards the main doorway where i stood alone
as Ali was a step just away from main doorway i then stepped out , and patted him on his left hand shoulder nearest me
saying how is the champ ..and he i noted never said anything but smiled as he walked slowly inside
and into the escalator ..and this was when i made my move knowing he was on the way up into the main room
for his autobiography booksigning ..I then looked up the winding stairway to my right and just inside the main door
and then i shouted up loudly > " Excuse me folks , let the make room please and let the Gentleman up please
and lo and behold not one person looked down as they all at the very same time just shifted a step to their right on the stairway over a touch > and i then cooly walked all the way swiftly up the stairs in front of them all and into the main room

Now that's ^^ what i call being cool

Anyhow i walked into the main room upstairs which was a queue on both sides and i walked across and stood with all others
just along a little form the lift ..A minute approx later the lift door opens and Ali walks out
with both his minders again as he got near to myself ..i then stood out patted him on the back of both his hands
and again said " hows the champ" whilst patting him on back of his hands for a few secs in which were even then in 1993
i recall shaking badly through parkinsons as we all know he had sadly

but he looked well facially and build wise in 1993 i recall.. so unlike yrs later seen in pics i seen in newspapers
or on the net sadly as age takes its toll on such

One old woman wearing a headscarf i recall came over to me and asked me shall you take my pic son
she handed me her camera and asked if ok for her to have a pic taken with Ali and guys either side of table
said make it quick as have so many autographs to sign , and don't want all asking as time wouldn't allow for all
she then went around table and pecked Ali on the side of his cheek whilst i then took the pic

My only regret was i never got a pic taken with him at the time as never even asked which annoys me today
but i never bought his autobiography as know all about his career anyhow but looking back i should have as id have then
had that pic with him .

I met also Ken Buchanan ex Scottish lightweight champion of the World when there and although i took
two pics of Ali whilst inside the room upstairs with my own camera i also took one of Buchanan
whom i feel never received the recognition he deserved at the time when he became light weight World champion
after bringing the title back from Puerto Rico ..But i some yrs later managed by accident to bump into Ken Buchanan
when in an Edinburgh bar as he was having a whisky at that time , and i spotted him straight away as i entered
and made a bee-line for him and had pic taken with him which took several people 4 attempts as they were half pissed
and so i got the barman to take my pic with Ken whom was fine about such although getting a bit fed up
with people not able to use my phone lol

He Ken Buchanan was voted best boxer sure it was in 1972 and he wasn't even the champion then
and in the days of Ali , Smokin Joe Frazier , Ken Norton , George Foreman and co
and also is the only Brit to have his name in the New York boxing hall of fame which sais much for him
and not nice i feel in how Scotland never gave Ken Buchanan in my mind the recognition he deserved
Was said when he won the lightweight title that whilst on a bus with his manager his late father
and only a few others that all the crowds outside in Puerto Rico were going wild and waving up towards the bus
and his father said to Ken , this is Puerto Rico Ken , just await until you get to Edinburgh son

Once his plane stopped off in Edinburgh their was no one there hardly at all sadly to greet him.
whereas today it would be seen as a huge accomplishment bringing the title back from foreign lands was tough

Anyhow Ali for me was one of the greatest heavyweights of all time although theres a call for several
but i give him the edge for the louisville lip as he was known ..and talking the talk along with his gift of boxing
for me Ali was the main man ..and for me the most famous Sportsman in the last century

he also spoke his mind in the things he believed in and fought his rights which i admired highly of him
apart from his skills in the ring he fought for his beliefs ..in which i admired much at a time when so many
people stay quiet and for me its people like Ali whom we need in this World as not enough speak out
against oppression and wrong doings in the World ..as much is kept hidden also with corruption in many countries
in the World > but sadly wrongdoings shall always be with us it still is today.

Anyhow Muhammad Ali is the only famous person whom i have a pic off above my bedroom wall
and how i felt for him although when i heard the news of his death really never came as a shock
as i expected such anytime ..and think he lived longer than i expected he would after seeing pics last cple yrs.

But ive still the 2 pics of Ali i took in 1993 when he was upstairs in waterstones bookstore in Edinburgh
and also still have the negatives of such in the house which i can sincerely say i reckon im the only fifer to have layed a hand
on the Champ >whom is an icon Ali in Sport and for me the most recognized face in sport from the past as sais 100 yrs

RIP Muhammad Ali ..
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

I don't mind admitting I shed a tear over this yesterday, it reminded me of when I was a kid. The whole family used to drag our mattresses down from our bedrooms to the front room to watch him fight late at night.

Inevitably it didn't last very long. :)
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

For me this fight against Cleveland Williams showed Ali at his best.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

ssjsa wrote:For me this fight against Cleveland Williams showed Ali at his best.

A thing of beauty. Think Ali got hit twice.

He would have pissed Strictly Come Dancing. :)
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

whitefeather1.jpg
whitefeather1.jpg (18.66 KiB) Viewed 3641 times
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
THE ONE AND ONLY
On The Naughty Step

A reckon his toughest fight was the one v Joe Frazier when he won on points
and both men were done by the end of the 15 round contest known as The Thrilla in Manilla.

Ali also was said to be hardly able to stand when he slumped down into his corner at the end of a grueling fight
with his main rival . So recall listening on the old style radio in them days when fights between them were not on tv
not live anyhow as was live on the radio them days I recall.

Some of his fights were a farce like the one mentioned v Cleveland Williams whom shouldn't have been in same ring.
same goes for Brian London another shouldn't have been in the same ring as Ali .

Henry Cooper many talk about as he put Ali down with his famous left hook
and again for me Cooper was too easily cut in which was a hindrance to him in some fights

Joe Bugner was pretty good and he went the distance v Ali in the mid 70s
and only lost on points I recall , when not much was in it > but the British public really I feel never took to Bugner .

But Ali fought at a time when there was tough competition unlike today with also his fights v Ken Norton
Norton I recall once broke Ali's jaw and won that fight although Ali in the return won easily v Norton

Most three id say famous fights was of Ali 1/ His fight with Sonny Liston when he won when Liston was then seen as unbeatable and much controversy afterwards when Liston stayed until the count was out
some thought this was a fight which gangsters had a say in .

Also the Fight known as the rumble in the jungle with George Foreman
in which many thought Ali would lose ..but he came through in the end ..as he had foreman punch himself to a standstill
and then Ali went to town on him.

Other well known fight was the fight v Frazier known as The Thrilla in Manilla
where both men fought to a standstill in a tough 15 round affair where Ali just won on points .
Frazier won v Ali in one of the earlier fights and Ali in another after fighting in 3 different bouts
Ali 2 v Frazier 1

But he Ali fought in any country in the World and v many top opponents and only time I recall seeing him well beat
was when he shouldn't have then been in the ring ever again when he fought v larry Holmes as Holmes waved the ref to stop
the fight at the time I recall and Holmes himself was a top act in the ring .

Ali I feel took some hefty punches to the head when past his best ..as then never had the reflexes he once had
and this probs had an effect on him later in life ..and as we all know he was diagnosed with parkinsons sadly later

Some top class boxers/fighters as Ali for me was both a boxer and fighter ..but get some guys whom don't know when
to throw the gloves in and call it a day when over the hill

Ali was one of several guys whom shouldn't have went back in the ring when past his best

But Ali shall always remain one of the best heavyweights that ever lived .
Many others whom are older and recall top names shall say Joe Louis whom was a man whom could knock you out
with a jab alone ..others may well say Rocky Marciano whom was undefeated in all his fights
so many at a time even before Ali's days when the fight game was toughest and you want to go back to the days
of the bare knuckle times way back and them days long back were tougher still

Nowadays fights are 12 rounds and ref shall stop a fight for less in which is the right way
as it wasn't nice seeing a guy you know is beat and going on only to take more punishment and as Ali took
in his later yrs isn't good I feel for the brain and there may in time come a time when headguards are the way to go ?

Drs and such im sure have spoken about such although many want to keep it as it is
and again this is controversial .

As said sad to hear of Ali's death and this is an update of his funeral arrangements in the below link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36454395
legend670
Pub Champion

Post by legend670 »

ssjsa wrote:For me this fight against Cleveland Williams showed Ali at his best.

Love watching this. The way he moved around the ring was a thing of beauty.

He will be sorely missed.
Do I know any jokes about Sodium Hypobromite?

NaBrO
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: R.I.P Muhammad Ali

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:Image
:D
Big Jock Knew
THE ONE AND ONLY
On The Naughty Step

Music in a way spoils this video for me > but one of Alis toughest fights
where he himself even slumped to his chair in the corner at the end after bell.

He admits Joe Frazier was his toughest fights .