Sporting Events you almost see!!

Maverick
Superleague Player

Sporting Events you almost see!!

Post by Maverick »

Thinking back to the Lennox Lewis fight against Evander Holyfield (The Draw) I would have missed it if the dog hadn't of woken me up.

However I do have a history of almost seeing momentous sporting occasions....the most famous is probably when I stayed awake to watch 100M Final in Seoul , in 1988 I think it was, the Infamous Ben Johnson win, I was Fresh as a Daisy when they walked out then next thing I knew the commentator was saying it was a new World Record!! :lol:

So Come on people share with us the ALMOST witnessed sporting events!

:CCCCC:
Robert Mitchell 17th March 1938 - 8th September 2018 Rest in Peace Dad , no more pain xxx
Dicie
International

Re: Sporting Events you almost see!!

Post by Dicie »

Rosslare, irish masters.... Colin LLoyd 9 darter.... Really needed a weeeee....
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Devon Malcolm gets 9 wickets in one day on the sunday at the Oval against South Africa (I think)

Saturday was very dull. I was there.
TROUBLEAGAIN
Superleague Player

Post by TROUBLEAGAIN »

I had the greatest pleasure watching Istabraq winning all 3 of his champion hurdles (98-2000) i cheered him on amongst the masses of Irish fans.

Highlights and particular favourites of mine being the era of 2000-05 when great horses like Flagship uberalles, Moscow flyer, Azertyuitop and Edredon bleu all won the Queen Mother..
Also the great Kauto star match ups with Denman.

i think iv pretty much seen all the great steeplechasers over the past 10-15 years.
TROUBLEAGAIN
Superleague Player

Post by TROUBLEAGAIN »

Skewball wrote:Devon Malcolm gets 9 wickets in one day on the sunday at the Oval against South Africa (I think)

Saturday was very dull. I was there.

I remember watching that on the box-Malcolm was the most frustrating bowler on that day he was unplayable- I think it was after getting some stick batting he came steaming in and blew the South Africans away...
Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass »

Got a cracker.

I flew out to San Francisco to hopefully see baseball superstar Barry Bonds tie and overtake legendary player Babe Ruth on the all time Home run list.

He was sitting on 713 (1 shy of the Babe) as we touched down stateside. We were to miss only one game whilst we were over for our fortnight stay and that was a game across the bay against the Oakland Athletics. Guess what !! He tied the Babe in Oakland as I lay in my hotel room watching Tv.

He then failed to hit another Home run in the few remaining games whilst we were over there. Until he hit number 715 as we were sitting in San Francisco airport waiting to board our flight home. :angry4:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price
Sat Nav
The Ton Club

Post by Sat Nav »

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:He then failed to hit another Home run in the few remaining games whilst we were over there. Until he hit number 715 as we were sitting in San Francisco airport waiting to board our flight home. :angry4:
That is a cracker. I can almost beat it though.

Me and an old school friend went on holiday back in 1981 up to his relatives in Leeds. They were the glory days, holidays in exotic places :). Anyway we were there for two weeks and at the end of the second week the Headingley test match of the Ashes series started. So we decided to go on the Thursday and maybe the Friday. As it turned out his uncle decided to ship us back home on Friday so the only day of the test we saw was the first day which was rain affected and the Aussies made 200-3. It really was a dull day's play.

I guess that you can see where this is heading because the test match is now probably the most famous in English test history. England were forced to follow on but somehow turned the match on its head due to heroics from Ian Botham with the bat and Bob Willis with the ball and won it on the Monday. I sat watching at home and couldn't believe it. I always think what may have been if we had gone up there one week later because then we would have been at the test match every day.
jameshope
The Ton Club

Post by jameshope »

Red Rum's 3rd Grand National victory in 1977 i actually thought Peter O'Sullevan was going to burst into tears when Rummy romped away with the race in the end
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

I was at the bar in the Winter Gardens when Taylor hit his now famous 9 darter against mace. Someone said "Taylor's hit two 180's", we turned around and BANG, a 9 darter, live on tv!!

Happy Day's!!
TROUBLEAGAIN
Superleague Player

Post by TROUBLEAGAIN »

Lee Taylor wrote:I was at the bar in the Winter Gardens when Taylor hit his now famous 9 darter against mace. Someone said "Taylor's hit two 180's", we turned around and BANG, a 9 darter, live on tv!!

Happy Day's!!

I was sitting watching it in a Caravan on the North Wales coast, funny how thats stuck in my memory.
Martin Adams Beard
Pub Champion

Post by Martin Adams Beard »

Dicie wrote:Rosslare, irish masters.... Colin LLoyd 9 darter.... Really needed a weeeee....

Haha. I went to the toilet at the Grand Prix last year and missed Taylor almost getting a 9 darter,just missing the bull.
Paulie Walnuts
Pub Champion

Post by Paulie Walnuts »

Have been at numerous darts events now, both majors and floor tournaments, but have never seen Taylor beaten in the flesh.
So attended last years Players Championship in Dublin and was down at the bar having a good chat with Brendan Dolan looking forward to the Taylor Hamilton semi-final. Up I go anyways to watch it and Hamilton is just after shaking hands with him having beaten him....a real sickener!