Graham Dilley - RIP

Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

Graham Dilley - RIP

Post by Bruce Terrett »

Sad to hear that former England Fast Bowler Graham Dilley has passed on aged 52.
WCDPA
International

Re: Graham Dilley - RIP

Post by WCDPA »

Very sad news, one of my best sporting memories was that great innings with botham that turned the ashes series on it's head RIP
avalon
County Player

Re: Graham Dilley - RIP

Post by avalon »

I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing on the weekend of that test match... known as botham`s Ashes, it was only possible because of fantastic support by Dilley.

I don`t know if anyone ever had one or remembers them but I was the very proud owner of a sinclair, pocket sized, black and white TV and on that weekend I was also playing cricket but sat watching this ridiculously small tv screen as Botham was smashing everything around. Then disaster happened, it was my turn to bat, we were not having a good day with the bat as it was far too early for me to be going to the crease as no.9. Anyway, I handed the tv to a teammate and said hold that I won`t be long. How wrong could I have been. I swung the bat at every delivery that came regardless of where or what the ball was doing, I took stupid singles, everything I could do so as to return to the tv as quick as possible.

I was dropped 6 times, I should have been run out at least 3 times with the fielders missing the stumps from no more than a few yards away... I just couldn`t get out ( short of hitting my own wicket which I would never do deliberately ), I had a stand of over 130 with my captain and opening batsman, with me scoring 80 before he got out, I finished the game on 85 n.o missed an awful lot of Bothams innings on that day and my teammates couldn`t understand why I was so pissed off when I had just had my best innings ever.
Image ImageImage Image