World Cup 2010 Football

jointer
Pub Champion

Re: World Cup 2010 Football

Post by jointer »

Plunged wrote:we lost :-(
At one point I thought we were a little bit better than the Spanish, but then, for no particular reason we lost that...
Also a lot of whistling and yellow cards. Annoying. BBC was a joke btw... they don't seem to like van Bommel very much. Judge had an eye on him at the beginning.

Well I guess Spain deserved it, they had more chances than the Netherlands.
Holland were never better than Spain at any moment
van Bommel is the most horrible dirtiest player i have ever seen
he's shit and just there to kick people
i was delighted that Spain won

Holland have been average all the way through and have had large chunks of luck all the way through
Plunged
Steady Sixties

Post by Plunged »

jointer wrote: Holland were never better than Spain at any moment
he's poo and just there to kick people

Holland have been average all the way through and have had large chunks of luck all the way through
there actually was a moment that Spain could not play their usual quick-passing game while Holland got better in the match. I thought they were better at that point. Can't really recall when it started. I think after the first 15 minutes Holland started to play their game and Spain lost their game a little.

Van Bommel most definately isn't poo. :? :|

And Spain won everything through hard work and never had any luck of course.

Not gonna disagree that Holland has been lucky on a couple of occasions, but they deserved their spot in the final.
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

Plunged wrote:
jointer wrote: Holland were never better than Spain at any moment
he's poo and just there to kick people

there actually was a moment that Spain could not play their usual quick-passing game while Holland got better in the match. I thought they were better at that point. Can't really recall when it started. I think after the first 15 minutes Holland started to play their game and Spain lost their game a little.

Van Bommel most definately isn't poo. :? :|

And Spain won everything through hard work and never had any luck of course.

Not gonna disagree that Holland has been lucky on a couple of occasions, but they deserved their spot in the final.
van bommel just kicks players
or have i missed something ?
Plunged
Steady Sixties

Post by Plunged »

Yes you do. He's a good midfielder and has been for a long time. He's earned a reputation of being a good mid-fielder. You can't earn such a reputation by "just kicking players" lol..
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

Plunged wrote:Yes you do. He's a good midfielder and has been for a long time. He's earned a reputation of being a good mid-fielder. You can't earn such a reputation by "just kicking players" lol..
all he has done in this world cup is foul players
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

Spain have unveiled their strip for the next time they have to play Holland:

Image ImageImage Image
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Plunged wrote:we lost :-(
At one point I thought we were a little bit better than the Spanish, .

At this point?

[youtube][/youtube]
Plunged
Steady Sixties

Post by Plunged »

lol that's just an individual action. As a team we were, at one point, a bit better, or at least equal to the Spanish. They couldn't play their usual quick passing game anymore. Lost the ball more often. Some shots at the goal (Robben really should've scored). But I agree that overall the Spanish were better in the final (but neither team played great), though they needed the game to become 11v10 to finally score their one and only goal.

Kinda sad for Stekelenburg, because he played a great final imo.
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

Plunged wrote:lol that's just an individual action. As a team we were, at one point, a bit better, or at least equal to the Spanish. They couldn't play their usual quick passing game anymore. Lost the ball more often. Some shots at the goal (Robben really should've scored). But I agree that overall the Spanish were better in the final (but neither team played great), though they needed the game to become 11v10 to finally score their one and only goal.

Kinda sad for Stekelenburg, because he played a great final imo.
should have been 11 v 9 for the 2nd half
Spain couldn't play because they were getting kicked all over the place
Plunged
Steady Sixties

Post by Plunged »

The referee whistled all the time, also against Spain. At some points he also was wrong (when he gave yellow to van Bronckhorst for example).
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

jointer wrote: should have been 11 v 9 for the 2nd half
...and then 10 vs 9.

[youtube][/youtube]
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

I normally like the Dutch but in this case they were nothing more than a bunch of hackers, they deserved to lose.

Paddy
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
jointer
Pub Champion

Post by jointer »

slymaster wrote:
jointer wrote: should have been 11 v 9 for the 2nd half
...and then 10 vs 9.

[youtube][/youtube]
van bommel should have been sent off earlier
so that act of retaliation would never have happened
another disgraceful "tackle" on iniesta by van bommel
jameshope
The Ton Club

Post by jameshope »

I think Van Bommel was a tad bit lucky to have stayed on the field
Angela_ZB
Pub Champion

Post by Angela_ZB »

Paddy McGinty wrote:I normally like the Dutch but in this case they were nothing more than a bunch of hackers, they deserved to lose.

Paddy
Agree with you on that one. They said in the analysis that the amount of yellow cards had nothing to do with losing the match....IMO there is a link between the cards and losing the final....they were heated and lost at the same time from the start until the finish of the match. They didn't had a chance because the heads weren't empty and cool enough. But apart from the final...very proud for this achievement ;)
@angelavanhees on twitter, darts is my Christmas present
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Angela_ZB wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:I normally like the Dutch but in this case they were nothing more than a bunch of hackers, they deserved to lose.

Paddy
Agree with you on that one. They said in the analysis that the amount of yellow cards had nothing to do with losing the match....IMO there is a link between the cards and losing the final....they were heated and lost at the same time from the start until the finish of the match. They didn't had a chance because the heads weren't empty and cool enough. But apart from the final...very proud for this achievement ;)
Yes you did well, but discipline is something the Dutch team should work on.

Regards Paddy
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
ST87
Steady Sixties

Post by ST87 »

I know the World Cup finished a week ago but, other than the fact that it would cost £12m to get rid of him, can somebody explain to me why Fabio Capello hasn't been sacked yet?

Forget about the fact that he's an overseas coach - although it's worth pointing out that no foreign manager has won the World Cup, and that none of the top nations wouldn't appoint someone from outside their own country (could you imagine Maradona in charge of Brazi?).

And you can also foget his strong qualifying record - even though Croatia and Ukraine were potentially tricky opponents when the campaign started.

The fact is that Capello's stated aim was the final. It was completely unrealistic - England were 8th in the World and have only gone beyond the quarter-finals in three major tournaments - and the media fell for it hook, line and sinker, but England fell well short of that (and underachieved compared to recent performance and their ranking).

When asked if he made mistakes in the World Cup, Capello said: 'Mistakes? I make no mistakes.'

What a load of baloney! The index, poor squad selections (with injured and out of form players being picked) and a rigid formation which was exposed against top teams (even if was the same system used in qualifying).

I didn't get the arguments that the likes of Adam Johnson and Joe Hart couldn't be used in friendlies prior to the tournament because they were inexperienced. How else are you supposed to get experience? Hart was easily the best English goalie in the Premier League last season whilst Johnson ousted Shaun Wright-Phillips from the Man City team (yet SWP was selected ahead of Johnson!).

Look at the other managers who simarlarly underachieved. Dunga, the Brazil manager, won the Copa America, Confederations Cup and South American World Cup qualifying group (arguably the toughest qualifying segment of the lot). Yet one bad performance against Holland and he was out.

The terms of the England job have changed now. When Steve McLaren was sacked the FA said it was time for a root and branch review. The FA swept those issues under the carpet by appointing Capello and trying to milk the squad for one last tournament. But that squad has failed too many times now. It needs an overhaul, which means a few years in the wilderness and some long-term planning. Capello is not the future.
Further details to be announced shortly.