Jose Mourhino true to form

avalon
County Player

Jose Mourhino true to form

Post by avalon »

I have never understood why the self proclaimed `special one` is considered by anyone at all to be something special.

If you look at his managerial skills they basically consist of.... take over a team on the verge of winning something anyway.... keep them there for a couple of years and then invariable that team starts falling away again and then he leaves before things get too bad.

Chelsea..... under the management of ranieri they went up to second in the premier league. the new owner in this time, Abramovitch, then fires him and employs Mourhino, gives him pretty much as much money as he wants and he wins the PL in the same season that Man UTd and Arsenal have their worst start for years, under Ranieri Chelsea would probably still have won the PL but that we will never know. Ranieri got the backbone of the team together. They win a second year, with an unbelievable amount of money spent on players, and then the problems start.... 12 points from a possible 21.... unable to keep the team at the top, other clubs sussing out his tactics, players getting older but not being replaced by the right people etc etc.... he leaves.

He goes to Italy where he takes over Inter. who had won the Serie A title for tthe previous 3 years... he makes it 4.... but Inter were already dominating.... he keeps them there but just as he realises there is only one way to go... downhill he leaves to take over Real Madrid. The following season Inter are struggling.

Real Madrid, having finished runners up to Barcelona the year before the special one takes his team to runners up spot again before taking the title in his second year... his third year is now underway.... and as with other clubs the results are not happening with Real Madrid currently in 10th place with 4 points from 4 games. He is in his 3rd year... expect him to go sometime over the next few months.

In my opinion.... give Mourhino a great club and he will keep them there for a couple of years before they start struggling and going downhill.... and then he leaves. A three year period is the maximum a team will get.

IMHO he will never be a special one until he takes a club that isn`t at the top, gets them there and keeps them there.
Image ImageImage Image
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Re: Jose Mourhino true to form

Post by Ipad180 »

What about Porto? He took that team from virtually nowhere and won the Champions league.
Proud sponsored player of TSoD.

Follow me on twitter - @iPad180

avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

Porto had finished in second place the two seasons before he took charge, he took them over around half way through the season and they finished 3rd.... got them to first and then moved to chelsea. The season he left they finished 2nd. Getting to first suggest he did well but when you think Porto have not been outside of the top 3 in the portugese league in the last 13 seasons, winning it 8 times... hardly took them from nowhere, imo anyway.
Image ImageImage Image
Dan1987
Pub Champion

Post by Dan1987 »

I like Mourinho, his press conferences and interviews are a great watch, but I do kind of agree with you there Avalon.
Whilst not too much should be taken away from his achievements, he is definitely a 'short-term' manager IMO. He isn't one of these managers that will build for the future, invest in youth and is more about getting results quickly at all costs. He is very good at it, but being a United fan this is one of the reasons why I personally wouldn't want him to replace SAF.
Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

Post by Bruce Terrett »

Without him we wouldn't have had

[youtube][/youtube]

which was/is very funny IMHO!
Dan1987
Pub Champion

Post by Dan1987 »

Jose Mourinho true to form;

Extra special, a former United man getting the winner against City!