Darts World - Articles

A place for results and questions from years gone by
Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

Darts World - Articles

Post by Bruce Terrett »

Thought this might be of interest, it's from the August 1988 issue of Darts World, with Sean Palfrey on the cover (He'd just won the British Teenage Championship).
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Re: Darts World - Articles

Post by spaceman70 »

I read about this moment in both Phil's and Eric's autobiographies.

I also have a copy of this Darts World edition. :)
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

See the size of the trebles in the picture......Wow
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Dicie wrote:See the size of the trebles in the picture......Wow
Almost as big as the staples. ;)
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

spaceman70 wrote:

Iv an eclipse champions choice up at the moment, and the trebles look more inviting shall we say on that than they do on the board phil has there :D
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Dicie wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

Iv an eclipse champions choice up at the moment, and the trebles look more inviting shall we say on that than they do on the board phil has there :D
Cheapskates even spun the board, look where Nodor is. :D
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

spaceman70 wrote:
Dicie wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

Cheapskates even spun the board, look where Nodor is. :D

Looks like Wayne has been let loose on it aswell, the white segment 9 now (was 5) looks well tested!!!
Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

Post by Bruce Terrett »

spaceman70 wrote:I also have a copy of this Darts World edition. :)
Dave, why does that not surprise me? (BTW can I have a chat with you about your Darts Worlds.........?!)
Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

Post by Bruce Terrett »

Thought this may be of interest for Somerset v Avon Men's B. For Gloucestershire, Alan Wiggett still plays local league as does Brian Hawkins, and Steve O'Toole plays for Teague's Bar in Gloucester. Also I think that Andrew Davies (Pembroke Men's A) is the PDC Official of the same name?
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Martin furber...........

Any relation to our poor pig farmer
nikkiboy
International

Re: Re: Darts World - Articles

Post by nikkiboy »

Dicie wrote:Martin furber...........

Any relation to our poor pig farmer
Probably father, uncle and 2nd cousin :D
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Bruce Terrett wrote:Thought this may be of interest for Somerset v Avon Men's B. For Gloucestershire, Alan Wiggett still plays local league as does Brian Hawkins, and Steve O'Toole plays for Teague's Bar in Gloucester. Also I think that Andrew Davies (Pembroke Men's A) is the PDC Official of the same name?
Stevie Brown's Dad Mark playing for West of England, and also Dubby in the B's.
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Grubby too!
Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

Post by Bruce Terrett »

Grubby and Dubby were the reason I put this up. Also Jeff Williams!
Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

Post by Bruce Terrett »

This one is from the 1st December 1984 issue of Tiger comic!
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

Bruce Terrett wrote:Grubby and Dubby were the reason I put this up. Also Jeff Williams!
Remember this game sooooo well. I played with 5 or 6 of the WOE players on various nights during the week, even though I played for Somerset.To say I got a bit of ribbing would be an understament. Merv Dix had just won a big open AND won the anchor game for Pinker's team in a national knockout!
It was Dubby's WOE DEBUT, as it was Steve Withey's.
Jeff Williams, George Lewis etc etc etc legends of Bristol Darts and the tragic Johnny Lavis, the best player I ever saw in Bristol until his diabetes claimed his eyesight.........
follow me on twitter @grubby1968!!!
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

Bruce Terrett wrote:Thought this may be of interest for Somerset v Avon Men's B. For Gloucestershire, Alan Wiggett still plays local league as does Brian Hawkins, and Steve O'Toole plays for Teague's Bar in Gloucester. Also I think that Andrew Davies (Pembroke Men's A) is the PDC Official of the same name?

I bet the Top Cue Club in Gloucester had record beer sales that weekend with the visit of Pembrokeshire!
So much darting talent has played for this side over the years. If Mackie Hawkins could assemble them all in one team it would be worthy of the Prem! The likes of Eric Burden, Paul James, Marshal James, Gareth Picton, Martin Thomas, Billy Edwards, Robert Hughes, Graham Leader, Roy Taylor, John Anthony and more recently Jamie Lewis [from whom I've heard a lot but never actually seen play] as well as many, many more........ And then there's former Women's World Master Ann Thomas, who was one of the most lovely, unnasuming ladies in the women's game in the 80's. :welsh

Steve O'Toole was always good for a bit of banter from what I remember of this Gloucester side too. O'Toole had a huge personality. The PDC crowds of today would have loved this guy with his stage antics. :D
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Hungry Coyote wrote:

I bet the Top Cue Club in Gloucester had record beer sales that weekend with the visit of Pembrokeshire!
So much darting talent has played for this side over the years. If Mackie Hawkins could assemble them all in one team it would be worthy of the Prem! The likes of Eric Burden, Paul James, Marshal James, Gareth Picton, Martin Thomas, Billy Edwards, Robert Hughes, Graham Leader, Roy Taylor, John Anthony and more recently Jamie Lewis [from whom I've heard a lot but never actually seen play] as well as many, many more........ And then there's former Women's World Master Ann Thomas, who was one of the most lovely, unnasuming ladies in the women's game in the 80's. :welsh

Steve O'Toole was always good for a bit of banter from what I remember of this Gloucester side too. O'Toole had a huge personality. The PDC crowds of today would have loved this guy with his stage antics. :D

Hes top notch boyo, has agreat future ahead off him i hope, starting off with QS this week. :welsh
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

Post by Bruce Terrett »

Hungry Coyote wrote:Steve O'Toole was always good for a bit of banter from what I remember of this Gloucester side too. O'Toole had a huge personality. The PDC crowds of today would have loved this guy with his stage antics. :D
I think Steve still plays in the Gloucester Monday Night League.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

One of my fav Darts World articles..