London v Glamorgan - Season 1983/84

A place for results and questions from years gone by
Bruce Terrett
Superleague Player

London v Glamorgan - Season 1983/84

Post by Bruce Terrett »

Some interesting, and legendary, names in both squads.

spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Re: London v Glamorgan - Season 1983/84

Post by spaceman70 »

One of those guys went on to marry Reg Dwight. :D

and another is the son of god. :)
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Great upload Mr T! :DDDD:
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Love the advert for Tommy's Darts International. Based out of a house in Coleridge Way in those days! (not Coldridge as it says in the ad LOL)

Still going, still based in Crewe and sponsors of Ronnie Baxter!
Danny_1
Brass Darts

Post by Danny_1 »

Great to see the old names of darts.

More of this mister T

This is realy nice.
Great job
Sally
Pub Champion

Post by Sally »

I've copied it to Bob's Facebook page Bruce. Hope you don't mind !

https://www.facebook.com/BobAnderson180
Sally
SHAKIN
Brass Darts

Post by SHAKIN »

Any more old London programmes ?
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

I've got some. I've been promising to dig them out for a while. This is the push I need. Hopefully I'll get them on tomorrow.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Hungry Coyote wrote:I've got some. I've been promising to dig them out for a while. This is the push I need. Hopefully I'll get them on tomorrow.
Oooooer Mrs,. Bring em out martin
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Something I'd didnt know there Tony Ridler played for Glamorgan !!!
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

nikkiboy wrote:
Hungry Coyote wrote:I've got some. I've been promising to dig them out for a while. This is the push I need. Hopefully I'll get them on tomorrow.
Oooooer Mrs,. Bring em out martin
Have spent the last hour up the attic and do you think I can find those blasted programmes?? But I'm not giving up. They're in this house somewhere and I'll find them if it's the last thing I do. But I did find something that would interest no-one other than you my little friend.
The Cardiff Super league team's 1987 season's averages [thanks to our team manager Jenkin 'Dai' Davies] and you're in there!!

Check these names out Nick. Carl Reece, Martin Thomas, Mike Davies, Mal Davies, Dai Furnish, Les Taylor, Ray Greenslade, Barry Ashill, Alan Plant, Andy Flynn, Ron Burch, Gareth Thomas, Nicky Price, Kevin Guy and Andrew Burton.

Top averages in a that nine game season came from Mally Davies who hit two x 35.79 averages [wow!]. I had a 33.40 a 32.67 and a 30.06 [ I hope Paddy reads this!!], Mike Davies had a 33.18, a 32.32 and a 30.36 and Furnish had a 30.27. Quickest legs came from Mally and Mike who both hit 11 darters. Surprisingly we only hit 12 x 180's all season but we did score 406 tons as a team. We had 10 ton plus finishes but it seems the highest was only 118 and that went to Carl who incidentally was the only player undefeated that season. I lost one, Mike lost four and Mally and Furnish both lost three each, which really goes to show how strong that Glamorgan Super League was in the mid 80's.

You snook in there winning two of the four games you played and scored 12 tons. I guess you were still a teenager then?? :headbang:
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

I think i was about 3?

What a side that was, Carl Reece = absolute gentleman as was Ronnie Birch, sadly missed both of them especially Carl who was one of the nicest men I ever met. Les Taylor could have been the best, and I mean it - the guy had balls of steel and I only wish he took it seriously, still remember British open where he entered as E. Bristow and spanked a certain Mr Lazerenko much to the dismay of the crowd who gathered around that board and then wondered who the fek the guy with the sticky out finger was throwing 180's for fun.
I think I'm right in saying a certain Mr Evans joined us the following year :grin: also Clive Strong from London if I remember rightly, what happened to him?
Andy "next time" Flynn :grin:
Little Dai and Mal were without doubt the best players of that time, some of the practice games in the fleurs were just amazing, you could chuck a little as well if I remember :grin:

Dai "Jenkin" Davies (Mal's dad) was also a Glamorgan official and was as strict as they came, dropped me a few times and even dropped Alan Evans, our offence? - we never wore black trousers. I had the upmost respect for him and it was a sad day when he passed on.

Ah nostalgia, it's not what it used to be :grin:
Wyn
Pub Champion

Post by Wyn »

spaceman70 wrote:One of those guys went on to marry Reg Dwight. :D

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way,but............Christ Jones has to be one of the best names EVER.

Many folk say Wales is Gods' country.........but I didnt know HE sent his family to live here !

*Apologies if its a misprint,and his name is Chris :D *
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

Wyn wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:One of those guys went on to marry Reg Dwight. :D

I don't mean this in a disrespectful way,but............Christ Jones has to be one of the best names EVER.

Many folk say Wales is Gods' country.........but I didnt know HE sent his family to live here !

*Apologies if its a misprint,and his name is Chris :D *
It has to be a typo Wyn. It was two years before I joined that squad as I was in the lower divisions with another County. But I don't recall anyone around at that time with that name. However, Chris Johns was about to explode onto the scene around then. But 83/84? I'm not so sure. That was maybe even before his time. I do remember a Chris Jones playing for the Glamorgan women around then though. Maybe the printer mistook it for a bloke's name! But to misprint it as badly as that must have surely been a dismissible offence!!
ps agree Wales is God's Country........ :welsh
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

That will be Chris Johns surely?
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

Welsh Wayne wrote:Something I'd didnt know there Tony Ridler played for Glamorgan !!!
Ridler was one of the best players around at the time and despite having an incredibly awkward throw rarely missed what he threw for. He was a salt of the earth character and you had to take him as you found him, but please or offend he was a true character of the game around that time. I watched him as a kid on TV and in a number of local exhibitions when on the few occasions he travelled down West Wales. I marvelled at his skill and ability and he was one of the players that spurred me on to play the game. Other than Evans probaly the most fiercly patriotic and competitive character I've ever met.
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

nikkiboy wrote:I think i was about 3?

What a side that was, Carl Reece = absolute gentleman as was Ronnie Birch, sadly missed both of them especially Carl who was one of the nicest men I ever met. Les Taylor could have been the best, and I mean it - the guy had balls of steel and I only wish he took it seriously, still remember British open where he entered as E. Bristow and spanked a certain Mr Lazerenko much to the dismay of the crowd who gathered around that board and then wondered who the fek the guy with the sticky out finger was throwing 180's for fun.
I think I'm right in saying a certain Mr Evans joined us the following year :grin: also Clive Strong from London if I remember rightly, what happened to him?
Andy "next time" Flynn :grin:
Little Dai and Mal were without doubt the best players of that time, some of the practice games in the fleurs were just amazing, you could chuck a little as well if I remember :grin:

Dai "Jenkin" Davies (Mal's dad) was also a Glamorgan official and was as strict as they came, dropped me a few times and even dropped Alan Evans, our offence? - we never wore black trousers. I had the upmost respect for him and it was a sad day when he passed on.

Ah nostalgia, it's not what it used to be :grin:

Dai Davies was an incredible guy and was someone I had so much respect for. I ran a Super League team in the 90's built on Dai's ideas and principles [Flynny played for me then too, he hasn't changed!]. But even I would have bottled out of dropping Evans because he didn't turn up in black trousers. Dai took playing for Cardiff to another level. It was so much more than just throwing darts with Dai. He created a standard and solidarity with that team that was defining for the 80's. I think those diciplines made that team what it was. You could never forget he was a retired Colour sergeant!