The People's Supermarket Channel 4 Sundays

nikkiboy
International

The People's Supermarket Channel 4 Sundays

Post by nikkiboy »

Hi All,

As you may well know I am the most anti Supermarket person you will find, I believe that the likes of Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury and Morrisons are systematically destroying not only our communities but our whole way of life.

I heard about this before I saw the 1st episode and was intrigued, basically the idea is that this is a local supermarket which is owned by its customers who work in it for free and then get a discount on their shopping.

What they ask is that you pay £25 to become a member, that entitles you to 10% off of all of your shopping BUT you also have to give 2 hours of your time each month to help out either stacking shelves or working on a till. Now there are obvious pros and cons but in my opinion this is a way forward and I hope it leads to more and more of these local shops opening up around the country.

take a look if you have not yet seen it here on 4OD: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the- ... market/4od

They also have their own web site here: http://www.thepeoplessupermarket.org/

I am also interested in hearing other member's views on the big 4 and what can be done to stop their takeover of the entire food chain, bearing in mind that they already control 75% of it (which is why you will all have noticed the prices going up)
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Re: The People's Supermarket Channel 4 Sundays

Post by Ginge »

Wibble.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Surprised nobody else has commented on this yet..

To be honest some of the stuff he is doing is quite good, I would happily pay cheaper prices for non-straight cucumbers, smaller peppers, potatoes that are too big or small etc.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The Ginger Ninja wrote:Surprised nobody else has commented on this yet..

To be honest some of the stuff he is doing is quite good, I would happily pay cheaper prices for non-straight cucumbers, smaller peppers, potatoes that are too big or small etc.
ah but price is not everything mate, tin foil hat time but unless we do something soon we will have passed the point of no return and the big boys will control the entire food chain which scares me.

For those who say it is good and that this competition between the supermarkets results in lower priceson the shelves, it does not, just look at milk as an example, Tesco and the rest pay some 15p-20p per litre for it and THEY ALL retail it at around the 90p mark. Surely if they were actually being competitive then one of them would reduce their massive margin and sell it cheaper, they do not probably due to some secretive deal between them, although that would be illegal
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

I love supermarkets. I also love wee shops, why cant they all just get along. The mass mobilisation of society in the latter part of the twentieth century pretty much spelled the end of the High Street as we know it. Long gone are the days when you would get your weekly shop on the high street. High Street and town centres need to adapt to this change in consumerism. There are plenty examples out there where High Streets are thriving in spite of Supermarkets.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

mod500 wrote:I love supermarkets. I also love wee shops, why cant they all just get along. The mass mobilisation of society in the latter part of the twentieth century pretty much spelled the end of the High Street as we know it. Long gone are the days when you would get your weekly shop on the high street. High Street and town centres need to adapt to this change in consumerism. There are plenty examples out there where High Streets are thriving in spite of Supermarkets.
impossible Mod, a beast such as a supermarket has to continue to grow or it will die, this is why they have branched into funerals, flowers, insurance and so on, although they do not actually do any of that themselves, they merely farm the work out to a third party and take a cut, thus reducing the value of the product actually purchased. When I owned the florist we did work for flowers direct who had the contract with Tesco and M&S, now what actually happened was Mrs Jones walked into Tesco and ordered a £40 bunch of flowers for Glasgow. Tesco then took around 20% commission and passed it onto Flowers Direct who also took 20% commission of the remaining amount and passed it onto a local florist resulting in the local florist getting around £25.50 for the bunch and making it up and delivering it. Had the customer rang a local florist directly then they would have had a bigger bunch of flowers for less money as 2 others would not have taken a cut just for passing over the details. The same thing happens with insurance.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The Ginger Ninja wrote:Image
you can crow wibble all you like fella, some of us have concerns for the future
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

similar to a form of co-op nikki.

agree with you bout supermarkets....they are there to try your patience, when you eventually get used to finding things, they go and rearrange the whole kip.
Then again what do you expect from people who wear name badges
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Justin Credible wrote:similar to a form of co-op nikki.

agree with you bout supermarkets....they are there to try your patience, when you eventually get used to finding things, they go and rearrange the whole kip.
Then again what do you expect from people who wear name badges
that is so you go down isles that you would not normally go down looking for products.

Their basic intention when you walk in is to con you, they spray ferimones and fake bread smells around the store to calm you and make you think about bread, in other words a mild form of brainwashing chemicals designed to manipulate you.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

I tended to avoid supermarkets in general before as I was banned from 6 of the 9 dunnes stores in cork, 2 of the tescos,one marks and spencers and one of the roches stores.

I would take no crap of those b@stards while at work
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
Their basic intention when you walk in is to con you, they spray ferimones and fake bread smells around the store to calm you and make you think about bread, in other words a mild form of brainwashing chemicals designed to manipulate you.

Wibble.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The Ginger Ninja wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

Wibble.
Bradders have I said anything that is untrue? Please backup you tin foil hat remark with facts
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Where can I get me some of that bread spray?
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

mod500 wrote:Where can I get me some of that bread spray?

if women wore that instead of the huge amount of perfume,oral sex might happen a lot more for them :lol:
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Justin Credible wrote:

if women wore that instead of the huge amount of perfume,oral sex might happen a lot more for them :lol:
:DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD: :DDD:

I,m not sure if that will get to stay, but I likes it.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Justin Credible wrote:

baps that actually smell like baps!

Come on Bradders where is that proof?
chissy
County Player

Post by chissy »

More of a lynx man myself :D
Our local tesco has a bakery, very nice it is aswell, smells delicious and the bakers are frequently coming out to the front display and topping up the "fresh" bread.
Unfortunately for the unsuspecting shopper there is no bakery just a room of ovens out back with ordinary staff dressed as bakers loading the ovens with frozen pre-baked products and bagging them up. Freshly baked is not freshly made!!! But they are breaking no laws!
As to the "fresh" milk they produce,nope!, its delivered in huge bulk in freezer lorries and defrosted to suit shelf requirements with dated stickers being added after defrosting.
Ignorance is bliss bradders (wibble) its easy to think its all fresh but its not.
I think they adopt the "well it is true in a way" approach to the information that gets to the consumer.
Years ago i worked as quality control for C&J Clarks, a renowned quality British shoe manufacturer, and we "made" expensive mens shoes that retailed around the £60-90 mark. Alot of our sales were off of the back of advertising, a good name for quality, and the fact that alot of our target sales were people that were proud to buy British!!
We imported the uppers from germany, korea, india and china and bought the injection moulded soles from thailand and china, then we "made" them by lasting the upper and attaching the two parts, lacing and putting them in a box that said made in england!!!!
We also did produce and make our own shoes aswell but alot were imported.
Goodness me, i digress, wibble wibble :lol:
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy
chissy
County Player

Post by chissy »

Also while on the evils of the supermarket, how about buy one get one free when the price for the one is more than you would normally pay for two, and £4 each or 3 for £10 when you only want one but it makes you feel compelled to buy the 3 :angry4:
Must admit i am a sucker for it at times, the other week i went in there for a few things and came out with 3 trays of dog food, 3 packs of cat litter, 15 cases of stella (and that wasn't even on offer :DDD: ), and everything else in the trolley was x3 :roll: she'll never let me go shopping again :lol:
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

chissy wrote:Also while on the evils of the supermarket, how about buy one get one free when the price for the one is more than you would normally pay for two, and £4 each or 3 for £10 when you only want one but it makes you feel compelled to buy the 3 :angry4:
Must admit i am a sucker for it at times, the other week i went in there for a few things and came out with 3 trays of dog food, 3 packs of cat litter, 15 cases of stella (and that wasn't even on offer :DDD: ), and everything else in the trolley was x3 :roll: she'll never let me go shopping again :lol:
the single price is artificially inflated in order to create the 3 for 2 or 2 for £3 price point, never forget in Asda a few years ago the missus picking up Richmond sausages ramped up at 2 packs for £3 (£1.65 each) yet sat on the shelf next to then was the standard non offer packs at £1.19 each, believe it or not some of the muppets picked up the "offer" packs - makes you wonder.