1978 BDO World Darts Championship

rabsmith2
Superleague Player

Re: 1978 BDO World Darts Championship

Post by rabsmith2 »

Dr.Eddie Norman MBE wrote:Memories of Alan and Leighton

Reading about these two Welsh players and the scores and comments made, makes me feel privileged that I was manager of both players and travelled with them worldwide over many years.

Exhibitions were carried out between them which were arranged in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Barbados, Bermuda, USA,Fiji, Canada and many South Pacific Islands.

In 1976 Leighton was runner up in the First South Africa Masters to Steve Rollings.

Both players played for the West of England Darts Organisation and along with fellow Wales Superstars Alf Jeffries, David Porter, and Tony Ridler formed the nucleus of The Kings Arms Super-League team in Bristol when available on a Tuesday evening and they still not win the league.

With the West of England Team they both travelled to Russia, Malta, Gibraltar, Spain , Portugal, Sweden , Denmark, Turkey, Germany, Belgium and many other destinations playing in their Open Individual Championships.

Then there was no BDO/WDF tour, they created the tour which many players today graciously follow in their foosteps at what they started so many years ago.

Leighton always drove in his slippers, and after winning the 1978 World Championship, Colt Cars gave him a car, any car in their range, Leighton said he would have a small Colt Galant Estate as anything bigger the boyos in Pontypridd would think he was 'showing off', his favourite journey was as he reached the Wales side of The Severn Bridge, where he could arrive home and fly his beloved pigeons and be back at The United Services Club in Ynynsbwl.

He was a friend of Tom Jones and played darts with him.

Alan as you know played darts against Cassius Clay.

Leighton and Alan as well as great darts players were wonderful people and both were so proud to be Welsh, they smiled as they pulled on their Welsh Red International shirts.

Another great game was in The Indoor League when Alan Evans played Tony Ridler which at the time was billed as one of the greatest ever.

Leighton reached the News Of the World twice never managing to claim the title, losing out to Bill Lennard and Alan Cooper who also played for The West of England and Kings Arms team in Bristol.

Alan of course lost to Brian Netherton in The News Of The World.

Both players were instantly recognised at home and overseas as they walked the high streets or stopped at motorway service stations , strangers came up shook their hands and chatted and both players always had time to stop.

Both did many many charity matches around the UK.

It was a pleasure to have known both players and a sad day for darts and their families when they passed away so early in their lives.

As I say it was a pleasure to have known Alan and Leighton and a greater pleasure to be friend and manager of them for so many years.

http://www.eddie norman darts.com

Thank you
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

Great write up Eddie. I had the privilege of playing under both men and grew to know them well. They were true characters of the game, and very proud Welshmen. I witnessed Evans throw a proper wobbly with BDO officials at the England/Wales international in the early 80s' which was played in a huge leisure centre in Warrington. I think he was Wales captain that day and he was annoyed that his team had been allocated a changing room as a practice area. The boards were set up in the showers! Once he found out that England were camped out in the leisure centre lounge, complete with settees and bar, he threw one of his legendary tantrums and got the situation sorted very quickly. Leighton was also an amazing guy. Not long after he won the WC in 1978 he threw a 21 dart 1001 against me in an exhibition to teach me a lesson. I was just a kid but he'd overheard me telling my mates I was going to beat him. He told me, and the large crowd at the rugby club where we were playing, that there was only one Eric Bristow. He also went on to tell everyone that he was sure we would be playing in the same Wales team one day. He knocked me down one minute and then built me up the next. Lesson learnt. A top man and I've always remembered that.
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Reading about these two Welsh players and the scores and comments made, makes me feel privileged that I was manager of both players and travelled with them worldwide over many years.

Exhibitions were carried out between them which were arranged in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Barbados, Bermuda, USA,Fiji, Canada and many South Pacific Islands.

In 1976 Leighton was runner up in the First South Africa Masters to Steve Rollings.

Both players played for the West of England Darts Organisation and along with fellow Wales Superstars Alf Jeffries, David Porter, and Tony Ridler formed the nucleus of The Kings Arms Super-League team in Bristol when available on a Tuesday evening and they still not win the league.

With the West of England Team they both travelled to Russia, Malta, Gibraltar, Spain , Portugal, Sweden , Denmark, Turkey, Germany, Belgium and many other destinations playing in their Open Individual Championships.

Then there was no BDO/WDF tour, they created the tour which many players today graciously follow in their foosteps at what they started so many years ago.

Leighton always drove in his slippers, and after winning the 1978 World Championship, Colt Cars gave him a car, any car in their range, Leighton said he would have a small Colt Galant Estate as anything bigger the boyos in Pontypridd would think he was 'showing off', his favourite journey was as he reached the Wales side of The Severn Bridge, where he could arrive home and fly his beloved pigeons and be back at The United Services Club in Ynynsbwl.

Leighton and Alan as well as great darts players were wonderful people and both were so proud to be Welsh, they smiled as they pulled on their Welsh Red International shirts.

Another great game was in The Indoor League when Alan Evans played Tony Ridler which at the time was billed as one of the greatest ever.

Leighton reached the News Of the World twice never managing to claim the title, losing out to Bill Lennard and Alan Cooper who also played for The West of England and Kings Arms team in Bristol.

Both players were instantly recognised at home and overseas as they walked the high streets or stopped at motorway service stations , strangers came up shook their hands and chatted and both players always had time to stop.

It was a pleasure to have known both players and a sad day for darts and their families when they passed away so early in their lives.

As I say it was a pleasure to have known Alan and Leighton and a greater pleasure to be friend and manager of them for so many years.

Tremendous post Eddie , many thanks for those great memories :welsh :welsh
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Hungry Coyote wrote:Great write up Eddie. I had the privilege of playing under both men and grew to know them well. They were true characters of the game, and very proud Welshmen. I witnessed Evans throw a proper wobbly with BDO officials at the England/Wales international in the early 80s' which was played in a huge leisure centre in Warrington. I think he was Wales captain that day and he was annoyed that his team had been allocated a changing room as a practice area. The boards were set up in the showers! Once he found out that England were camped out in the leisure centre lounge, complete with settees and bar, he threw one of his legendary tantrums and got the situation sorted very quickly. Leighton was also an amazing guy. Not long after he won the WC in 1978 he threw a 21 dart 1001 against me in an exhibition to teach me a lesson. I was just a kid but he'd overheard me telling my mates I was going to beat him. He told me, and the large crowd at the rugby club where we were playing, that there was only one Eric Bristow. He also went on to tell everyone that he was sure we would be playing in the same Wales team one day. He knocked me down one minute and then built me up the next. Lesson learnt. A top man and I've always remembered that.

No prouder men when they played for Wales :welsh
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Great post and thanks for sharing that. :DDDD:
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

GtotheF
International

AN IDEA!!!!

Post by GtotheF »

A discussion thread on each of the world championships up until say '92?

Starting with '79?

I would be interested to see the draws and hear peoples anecdotes on some of the maybe lesser known players, who they played for etc, etc.

Just an idea - anyone want to kick off?
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Welsh Wayne
County Player

Re: AN IDEA!!!!

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Great stuff mate . :DDDD:

I went to this believe it or not :CCCCC:

Will do a write up on Sunday off on the lash now then watch wales beat england tomorrow :welsh
Al Capone
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by Al Capone »

1st Round (plsyed at Jollies Night Club Stoke, Feb 2nd - Feb 9th 1979)

Rab Smith (Sco) 2 Conrad Daniels (USA) 1
Doug McCarthy (Eng) 2 Charlie Ellix (Eng) 1
Alan Glazier (Eng) 2 Andy Green (USA) 1
Ceri Morgan (Wal) 2 Barry Atkinson (Aus) 1
Terry O'Dea (Aus) 2 Cliff Lazarenko (Eng) 0
Jim McQuillan (Eir) 2 Murray Smith (Nz) 0
Ronnie Davies (Wal) 2 Tony Sontag 0
Last edited by Al Capone on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------------------------------------
Keep the change ya filthy animal!!
--------------------------------------
-
Al Capone
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by Al Capone »

Seeds entered at the 2nd round stage.

John Lowe (Eng) 2 Doug Mcarthy (Eng) 0
Jocky Wilson (Sco) 2 Jim McQuillian (Eir) 1
Nicky Virachkul (USA) 1 Alan Glazier 2
Tony Brown (Eng) 2 Ceri Morgan (Wal) 0
Leighton Rees (Wal) 2 Tony Clark (Wal) 1
Stefan Lord (Swe) 1 Rab Smith (Sco) 2
Alan Evans (Wal) 2 Ronnie Davies (Wal) 0
Eric Bristow (Eng) 2 Terry O'Dea (Aus) 0
-
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Al Capone wrote:1st Round

Now there's a starter I thought Ronnie Davies was from the N East ???
Al Capone
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by Al Capone »

Q/F's

John Lowe 3 Jocky Wilson 1
Alan Glazier 2 Tony Brown 3
Leighton Rees 3 Rab Smith 0
Alan Evans 3 Eric Bristow 1
-
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Al Capone wrote:Q/F's

John Lowe 3 Jocky Wilson 1
Alan Glazier 2 Tony Brown 3
Leighton Rees 3 Rab Smith 0
Alan Evans 3 Eric Bristow 1

:welsh :DDD: :welsh :CCCCC: :welsh :darts :welsh :DDDC:
Al Capone
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by Al Capone »

Semi's

John Lowe 3 Tony Brown 2
Leighton Rees 3 Alan Evans 1

Final

John Lowe 5 Leighton Rees 0

(3-1, 3-0, 3-0, 3-2, 3-0)
-
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Thanks for the incite Eddie, a very good read.

Paddy
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

First thing that stands out for me is the two American players.

It would seem the Yanks have produced quite a number of decent chuckers over the years?

Al Capone
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by Al Capone »

I think Tony Brown may have thrown a 170 finish at some point during this comp, but i'm not sure exactly at which point.
-
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Im sure Conrad Daniels took Bristow out first round one year.

I knew Conrad's brother Jack ;)
Al Capone
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by Al Capone »

Welsh Wayne wrote:Im sure Conrad Daniels took Bristow out first round one year.

I knew Conrad's brother Jack ;)
He beat Bristow 6:3 the year before with a 78.17 ave (Bristow averaged 72.69)

I think Bristow may have been number one seed that year (1978), but the loss to Daniels dropped him one place to 2nd seed for the '79 championships. (i could be totally wrong of course)
-
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Al Capone wrote:1st Round (plsyed at Jollies Night Club Stoke, Feb 2nd - Feb 9th 1979)

One year dunno if its 1979 but Rab Smith was winning everything, all the big money tournies thats a fact.

Best player of these in my mind would have been a choice between Charlie Ellix & Alan Glazier.

Im sure Ellix and Sontag used to play out of the Sussex Arms in Paddington.

But Charlie was a joy to watch Great player :DDDD:
Al Capone
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by Al Capone »

Welsh Wayne wrote:
Al Capone wrote:1st Round (plsyed at Jollies Night Club Stoke, Feb 2nd - Feb 9th 1979)

One year dunno if its 1979 but Rab Smith was winning everything, all the big money tournies thats a fact.

Best player of these in my mind would have been a choice between Charlie Ellix & Alan Glazier.

Im sure Ellix and Sontag used to play out of the Sussex Arms in Paddington.

But Charlie was a joy to watch Great player :DDDD:

Rab won quite a lot in '77. He won the British Matchplay, the Golden Darts Championships (not sure of the format of this one) and the Pentathlon i think
-