1988 BDO World Darts Championship

The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

1988 saw a new World Champion crowned when Bob Anderson claimed his only World Championship with a 6 sets to 4 victory over defending champion John Lowe in the final.
Anderson had defeated the USA's Rick Ney in the semi-final, with the other semi throwing up a rematch of the previous year's final with Lowe again defeating Eric Bristow to make yet another final.

Results:

First Round
Russell Stewart 3 V 1 Johnny Deley
Bob Anderson 3 V 1 Bert Vlaardingerbrock
Fred McMullan 3 V 0 Tapani Uitos
Peter Evison 3 V 1 Dave Whitcombe
Rick Ney 3 V 1 Magnus Caris
Chris Johns 3 V 0 Mike Gregory
Dennis Hickling 3 V 2 Robert MacKenzie
Bob Sinnaeve 3 V 2 Horrie Seden
Paul Lim 3 V 0 Stefan Lord
John Lowe 3 V 1 Keith Deller
Paul Reynolds 3 V 0 Lars Erik Karlsson
Cliff Lazarenko 3 V 1 Tony Payne
Alan Evans 3 V 0 Danny MacInnis
Jocky Wilson 3 V 1 Terry O Dea
Ritchie Gardner 3 V 0 Arnie Bunn
Eric Bristow 3 V 1 Ray Farrell

2nd Round
Bob Anderson 3 V 0 Russell Stewart
Peter Evison 3 V 0 Fred McMullan
Rick Ney 3 V 1 Chris Johns
Dennis Hickling 3 V 0 Bob Sinnaeve
John Lowe 3 V 1 Paul Lim
Paul Reynolds 3 V 2 Cliff Lazarenko
Jocky Wilson 3 V 2 Alan Evans
Eric Bristow 3 V 0 Ritchie Gardner

Quarter Final
Bob Anderson 4 V 0 Peter Evison
Rick Ney 4 V 1 Dennis Hickling
John Lowe 4 V 3 Paul Reynolds
Eric Bristow 4 V 2 Jocky Wilson

Semi Final
Bob Anderson 5 V 0 Rick Ney
John Lowe 5 V 2 Eric Bristow

Final
Bob Anderson 6 V 4 John Lowe

Prize fund £71,600
Winners share £16,000
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

[youtube][/youtube]
The Cat
International

Re: 1988 BDO World Darts Championship

Post by The Cat »

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

Cat; I hope you don't mind me jumping on the back of this thread. I posted this on the main forum but it was virtually ignored. Maybe I should have placed it here in tnhe first place.

Just been flicking through a February 1988 edition of Darts World and found an interesting 'Behind the Scenes at Lakeside’ article from their then regular columnist, Wayne Baker.
Included within the article were a number of snippets relevant to today’s broader game and we’ve even discussed some of these on the forum in the past week.
I’ve paraphrased some of them below. I’m sure these will provoke some discussion but please don’t think I’m BDO bashing. First and foremost I’m a dart fan and have a foot in both camps when it comes to support.
Ban on Logos............
Baker led with the fact that the BDO had clamped down on players wearing sponsors logos and names on their shirts during the tournament. This Baker claimed was because players were blatantly breeching the rules.
It seems the biggest offender was Peter Evison and he was ordered to tape up his sponsors name before he took to the stage. It seems this was the third time in three major tournaments that Evison had been warned by the BDO and he was threatened with forfeiting his match. Swedes Lars Karlsson and Magnus Caris also received cover up warnings. Baker claimed that even John Lowe had apparently fallen foul of the embargo having to change his ‘out-lawed’ flights.
Stage set up..........
This year’s World Championships saw a new stage set up in a bright new ‘blush pink’. This suggested Baker was due to players complaining about the royal blue background that had dominated the stage in previous years. The BBC offered a choice of several colours but it was the Embassy that pushed for what Sid Wadell called ‘boudoir pink’. Embassy said it was the colour that best matched their brand.
Player pull out..............
Welsh International, Malcolm ‘Mally Davies’, a close friend of our very own Nikkiboy, had to pull out of this year’s World Championships due to a breaking a thumb in a DIY accident. Australian Terry O’Dea took Mally’s place but went out first round.
Stage Debut [This is my favourite]..........
It seems this year’s championships saw the debut of one of the BDO stalwarts. These are Baker’s words, “Making his debut as M/C at the championships was Roly Poly Martin Fitzmaurice who kept everyone amused with his off-stage jokes and banter.” Bruce Spendley and Fred Williams made up the trio of referees.
Management Teams..........
Baker was also amused at the growing amount of players’ managers that were present at Lakeside in 1987. He said, “Their smartly tailored pinstriped suits and briefcases look so odd in the players bar.”
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Mate jump in all you want it's all good.

I wish I could put up more PDC vids but I was emailed (albeit very politely saying the copyright is reserved which is fair enough).

I was just hoping they wouldn't have minded getting one section here where we could put the results and vids together.
nikkiboy
International

Re: Re: 1988 BDO World Darts Championship

Post by nikkiboy »

The Cat wrote:Mate jump in all you want it's all good.

I wish I could put up more PDC vids but I was emailed (albeit very politely saying the copyright is reserved which is fair enough).

I was just hoping they wouldn't have minded getting one section here where we could put the results and vids together.
Who emailed you cat, pm me mate
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

PM sent mate.
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

This World Championship win was a first for Anderson. It earned him £16,000 but more importantly the ranking points to keep him at World Number One. Anderson hit eight 180's an and a 177 against a spirited John Lowe in the final. The six sets to four victory was won [3-1, 3-0, 0-3, 2-3, 3-0, 3-2, 0-3, 2-3, 3-2 and 3-0]. In the final, Anderson averaged 30.90 per dart [92.70] and Lowe 30.68 [92.04]. Throughout the tournament Anderson was the consistant player and on two occasions came close to the coveted nine dart finish [and the £52,000 jackpot offered for this feat] when he first hit six and then seven consecutive treble 20's.
The highest out of the tournament and a special prize of £1000 went to Alan Evans for a wonderful 164 finish. :welsh
Information obtained and paraphrased from Darts World magazine :DDDD: