Wigan Write Up

All your experiences in one place
Stubby
County Player

Wigan Write Up

Post by Stubby »

Bit different weekend for a change for us as myself and Daz had our better halves in tow this time around. After years of wanting to know what happens at a pro tour event we thought the bank holiday weekend would be an ideal opportunity.
Arriving at the venue and being signed in at the security desk we do the usual meet and greets with players, officials and other markers that we haven’t seen in all but a week, and wait around for the start of procedures.
Given board one for the weekend the first rounds games were:
Michael van Gerwen Bye
Kevin McDine 6-1 Steve Grubb
Colin Fowler 6-5 Joe Cullen
Connie Finnan 6-2 James Richardson
Steve had a bad day at the office and was unlucky that virtually every dart landed just under the treble wire forcing him to switch and then putting the dart just under the treble 19 wire blocking that as well. Saying that Kevin played well and scored high with his first 9 darts and was able to set up finishes for the win.
As a player from my area, I know Colin has a good reputation of being capable of having a run of games and he should have won the first 4 legs but for doubles missed and found himself 3-1 down. At 5-3 to Joe I thought the game was over but to his credit Colin dug in and got himself into the game and took it to a decider and onto the win. A little harsh on Joe as he did play well.
Connie got the better in this game as his scoring was slightly more consistant than James. There were legs that could’ve gone either way and might’ve changed the course of the match but Connie got the legs.

Second round:
Michael van Gerwen 6-1 Kevin McDine
Colin Fowler 6-5 Connie Finnan
MvG’s first game was a master class in how to play darts, the guy is in a different class to everyone else and it showed in this game from the first few darts. Kevin didn’t play badly and probably should’ve taken another leg but it was always going to be Michael’s match.
Another good close game that originally went Colin’s way, then Connie looked like he was going to grab control but for Colin to dig in again and to win the decider.

Board Final:
Michael van Gerwen 6-1 Colin Fowler
Again this was an incredible game to mark. Colin’s first 9 darts are actually as good as most of the top guys and he was matching Michael, although the score doesn’t reflect this. In the first leg Colin failed to take out 45 and Michael took out a 118 finish, and so this was the pattern of the match.

Whether it is due the speed of the players on the board and because of the bye but I seem to finish a good hour before any of the other boards and had quite a wait til the next game.

Last 16:
Gary Anderson 6-3 Andy Smith
Another good game with two players that like to get on with a game. The first few legs went with darts with Andy keeping himself with the game. At 4-3 Gary got the break to go one leg from the match and Andy wasn’t able to get it back and Gary went on for the win. I think Sportstat had Gary around 95 and Andy around 91, good standard.
I then had another wait as I had been lucky enough to be selected to mark the final, so as that was a while away I had a watch at the other games that was happening.
I know a lot has been said on this but I was genually at the other end of the hall when I heard the arguing after the Hankey / Winstandley game and as they both went outside to the smoking area (somewhere I have never been in the 4 years of marking on the Tour) I can honestly say I don’t know anymore than what I’ve read on here!!
Any way eventually the final comes around and to my surprise no MvG is in it:
Robert Thornton 6-0 Ronny Huybrechts
A blow by blow account of the game is on PDC.tv, but from my point of view it was an honour to mark it with Paul Hinks calling the scores.
One little mishap – I realised halfway through the first leg that I didn’t pick up the board eraser from the table as I walked into the cubicle (D’oh!) As soon as Robert hit the first double I had to quickly run out and grabbed it much to the confusion of Paul Hinks. I’m sure I will be on the bloopers edition of the video at the end of the season!

So Saturday done and after wining and dining back at the digs, we have a reasonably early night to do the same again on Sunday.
Board one again – The first round games were:
Michael van Gerwen (1) Bye
Shaun Griffiths 6-3 Denis Ovens
Vincent van der Voort (32) 6-2 Dave Honey
Darren Johnson 6-2 Richie Howson
The first game wasn’t an inspiring affair, with both players struggling to find something to take control of the game. Eventually Shaun managed to get a break and went onto the win.
The next game was between another local player to me, Dave Honey and Vincent. Knowing Dave is trying to get back to his top form, I was quite shocked when he went 2-1 up and could’ve been 3-0 or 3-1 up! Then Vincent found his range and started to hit 2 trebles virtually every handful to which Dave couldn’t live with.
The next game has been covered in Richie’s write up and by his own admission he didn’t have a good game. Even so he had chances but Darren was able get home.

Second round games:
Michael van Gerwen 6-4 Shaun Griffiths
Vincent van der Voort 6-3 Darren Johnson

Michael got off to a slow start against Shaun, and seem to struggle to find a rythmn. Shaun hung in well and for a brief moment he did have the better darts in the middle of the match, but he just couldn’t get onto terms and Michael closed out of the game.
The next Game, Vincent although not firing on all cylinders was still too much for Darren and was able to get an early lead which Darren tried to come back from but wasn’t able to get the break back.
Board Final:
Michael van Gerwen 6-1 Vincent van der Voort
A prospect that I thought might happen when I saw the draw, and both players as expected went into warp speed, but I got into the game and was able to mark it well but it was made easier by Michael back in full flow rattling off sub 15 dart legs for fun.
Last 16:
Michael van Gerwen 6-1 Colin Lloyd
Peter Wright 6-4 Ian White
Another quick game in which 3 legs on the trot MvG went 180, 131, 174, 16. Needless to say the match was over in a flash. Chatting to Colin afterwards he said that he played Taylor in his peak and he reckons MvG is a better player now than Taylor was!
My last game of the day was a good game where it went against the darts for the first few legs and then with the darts until 5-4 and Ian just fails to score as well as Peter and he takes out the win with Ian sat on 42.
So I’m done for the day and I can just chill waiting for the rest of the action to unfold and yet another MvG victory.
Steveo
Steady Sixties

Re: Wigan Write Up

Post by Steveo »

Good write up Stu.
STEVE M
Pub Champion

Re: Wigan Write Up

Post by STEVE M »

Good write up,forget that ball-sack that was knocking David Owen and the markers write-ups.
Keep them coming,Dartaholics like me need them.
2013 PDC World championship prediction competition runner up.
2013 PDC players championship prediction champion.