Citywest

All your experiences in one place
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Citywest

Post by Ipad180 »

Hi guys, TSoD new sponsored player checking in for his first write up representing this great forum :) although the weekend didn't go the way I wanted it to go, it went a bit better than I first expected. As some of ye may know already, I had a little bit of a dirt bike accident recently - crutches for 2-3 weeks didn't really help the practice routine, but anyway here we go...

Friday Night - European Tour Qualifier:

I had to miss a day of college to attend here (not that I'm complaining) ;) I made the trek up pretty early to get settled in and try to gain some confidence from good preparation. All was going well up until my game then I actually played the game.

RD 1: Paddy Meaney v Steve Maish.

If I'm honest, I was pretty poo in this encounter, I felt nervous for a reason I can't seem to quite understand - I'm never nervous usually? Maybe it was the lack of match practice? Having no serious games since early August is tough when you're just tossed back into the mix.

Steve dominated most of the game, but I still had my shots. I could have been 2-0 up, I had darts in other important legs that just wouldn't seem to pop for me; strange. The match ended 6-1 and a bad loss for me. Fair play to Maishy, though.. He stuck to his game plan and got the job done. Nice guy too. I wished him well and off I went to reflect on a poor performance. Bed by 11pm.

Saturday - Pro Tour 1:

8:30am start. Myself and John Seagrave (friend who I stayed with AND a great youth player) had a few chucks before we set off for the venue about 10ish.. Again, I felt great about the day ahead, plenty of positives flowing, practice was nice and steady starting off - I had it in my head it was just going to be a good day for me...

I was pretty wrong. Obviously. Nothing happened for me. Diving into the details of that horror show isn't really to my taste right now, just know it was the WORST I've ever ever played on tour.

Jamie was solid throughout.

Jamie Lewis 6-0 Paddy Meaney.

The minute this game was over I had to leave the venue for a good 20 odd minutes to cool myself down - I was fuming. Anyway, that was my day over pretty early. We didn't get up to much during the evening - I punished myself with a 4 hour practice if that counts for something? Bed by 12:30.

Sunday - Pro Tour 2:

Another 8:30am start, another hour on the practice board before we hit the venue. Instead of being really ''up for it'' today, I felt more determined and to myself more than anything else. I just wanted to prove something to myself. I didn't practice an awful lot when I got to Citywest, I did spurts of about 10 minutes (It's what felt right). I always go with gut instinct.

The draw was up and who did I get? None other than last years TSoD sponsored player Richie ''The Owl'' Howson. Richie and I are pretty good mates so the match would be played in good spirits :) we were second game up on board 14...

Paddy Meaney 6-5 Richie Howson.

Tbf, my scoring in this game was pretty consistent - again it was my doubles that had me struggling at the ropes. Richie ended up taking a 5-2 lead through playing steady and taking full advantage of my bad ''doubling''. At this point of the game I said to myself ''FIGHT, FIGHT and FIGHT until Richie hits an impossible leg. That's just what I did. I took it leg by leg from then on and gradually clawed my way back into the match. A few 180's and a few nice finishes later, we were tied at 5-5. Richie's throw...

He started 100, I hit back with 140. After 12-15 darts we were sat on 89 (Richie) and 62 (me) respectively. Richie goes big 19, T20 and just about misses the D5 for the match. I compose, step up - 10, 20.. D16 right in the centre. Relief.

We shook hands and he wished me well in my next game. What a quality guy he really is :)

RD 2:

John Part 6-2 Paddy Meaney.

John played like the World Champion he is. I didn't find the scoring range like I did against Richie, It was just 60,58,59,140,60,100,96,99,97 - that was throughout. Add a few 180's in there and that was pretty much it. Highlight on my part? 1 13 darter. My averages are never bad, but they count for f-all if you don't have that W after your name. Right?

I need to sharpen up on my doubles big time before the next event. Lots of prep going in ahead of then. Quite indifferent about the weekend as a whole - positives to be taken from the smallest of things, that could make all the difference next time out :)

The journey home was eventful to say the least - one no show bus and a ranting, raving hash head shouting at everyone.. followed by a stranded person in a public toilet. Fun times haha.

P.S - fair play to the guys who travelled over to be on sport-stat duty. It doesn't go unnoticed :DDDD:

Until next time - be good, people.

Paddy :darts
Proud sponsored player of TSoD.

Follow me on twitter - @iPad180

Deleted User

Re: Citywest

Post by Deleted User »

Good, honest write-up Paddy. I've marked for you in top form so I know what you're capable of when playing well. Keep that focus. :)
Last edited by Deleted User on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Keep up the work meaney. Its there, you just got to bring it to the board at the right time.

Onward!
chissy
County Player

Post by chissy »

Well done Paddy, was good to see you again, keep going mate!!
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy
DamienBhoy
Pub Champion

Post by DamienBhoy »

Well done Paddy I seen you playing at the weekend and thought that come back against Richie was top class
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Good write up Paddy
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

DamienBhoy wrote:Well done Paddy I seen you playing at the weekend and thought that come back against Richie was top class

That the reason you missed Friday night!!!!!!!
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Post by Ipad180 »

Cheers, lads. Until next time :) btw, who's heading over to Killarney? Sportstat? Markers?
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

No markers or Sportstat at Killarney.
DamienBhoy
Pub Champion

Post by DamienBhoy »

Dicie wrote:
DamienBhoy wrote:Well done Paddy I seen you playing at the weekend and thought that come back against Richie was top class

That the reason you missed Friday night!!!!!!!
Sure was Dicie, shame I will miss this week too cause of Killarney.
I love them comps