Killarney Darts

All your experiences in one place
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Killarney Darts

Post by Ipad180 »

Hi guys, dropping in for my second installment of write-ups as your sponsored player :) My weekend started a day earlier than most - It was Thursday when I headed for in the direction of my homeplace. I needed to get my bits together for the disgusting 3 hour journey the following morning. Sometimes it's easier for us Irish players to travel to England, it doesn't take as long lol.

Myself, my two brothers (one of which who has just qualified for Lakeside might I add) and my dad set off Friday afternoon around 1ish (later than we wanted), my dad is always late :banghead:. We arrived in our apartment in the lovely town of Killarney around 4:30pm. Plenty of time to get settled in and ready for the Irish Masters that night.

Day one - Irish Masters:

We arrive at the venue around 5:15 and kind of realise it's gonna be hard to get a proper chuck with so many people. We're used to 3-4 to a board not 7-10, 308 players.. this was mayhem lol. I warmed up as best I could until the draw was up on the wall. Luckily enough I ended up being first game on board 6 (I think?) versus a young(ish) guy from the county of Waterford - Mark Fehilly. The first couple of legs were scrappy, but I took control and ran out a comfortable 4-1 winner. The Highlight being on a double after 9 darts in the last. (14,20,18,15).

Round 2:

After an awfully long wait I was finally fully into my rhythm and pretty confident of the game ahead v Derek Thornton. I felt extremely comfortable throughout, but just couldn't find that extra gear. I ended up taking the game on a scoreline of 4-2, but seriously annoyed at my performance. A win is a win though and into the semi of the board I went. (20,21,22,16)

Round 3:

Before the game even began I knew what I was going to get playing Mr Dave Ladley (aka Mickey Mansell :IIII:) I think I was more mentally prepared than anything else. I just had that winning feeling. It was a nip and tuck game where both of us missed a few doubles - it could have went either way, but my luck was seemingly in tonight. It always good when you can play into your own pace. You think about naff all when you're on it. A 4-3 win for me and a board final against Gary Anderson awaited :) (not entirely sure of the leg count in this one).

Round 4:

This game went pretty quickly, well bascially because Gary bashed the board a little. I had 2 good chances, one on his throw and one on mine that could have changed the whole game for me, but.. those shots I could not take. Gary checked out 89 and 85 both when I missed darts. Gut wrenching. 4-0 loss.

A pretty decent run with some solid performances. There was a lot to take from it and build on for Saturday's pro tour event. A small bit of food was had and bed by 12.

Day 2: Pro Tour One

8am rise - shower - food - venue.

It was a little easier to manourvre today with the playing sectioned cordoned off to players and one guest only. Practice was going pretty well, confidence was there or there abouts. All in all I felt I had a good day in me. 11:45 the draw was up and ready for the players to view. Maybe I'm being a bit odd here, but I was fully convinced tour card holders couldn't be in a prelim game here? It annoyed me no end when I saw that draw.

First prelim on my board - Padraic Hester v Paddy Meaney. He paid 30 euro, I paid 125 (one tournament). Does the tour card give players any advantage? Anyway...

Paddy Meaney 6-4 Padraic Hester. I have no idea how I lost those 4 legs, but I did. A pretty solid performance that held me in good stead for the first round proper.

Round 1:

Paddy Meaney 6-4 Dave Ladley.

A repeat of last nights board semi final :roll:. Again, I knew what had to be done, I just went about it in the correct way. I had some great legs and some not so great, but overall a pretty good performance. Some highlights being - couple of sub 15 darters, few 180's and a 78 finish to win the match while he sat on a double to break back. I was quite content with that victory and brought confidence into my next game :).

Round 2:

Stuart Kellett 6-0 Paddy Meaney.

To be fair, there wasn't a great deal I could do in this match. My first 4 legs I was sat on a a double after 12-15 darts and got f-all shots. I held my hands up to Stuart at the end for putting in such a great performance (100+ average I was told). I took away a lot of positives about my game today, so all in all I was pretty happy.

My day didn't end there by the way...

Pyrascaf U21 Singles:

Super Show from Meaney!

Paddy Meaney was in top form in the Pyrascaf Under-21 Open Singles at the 2013 Killareney Darts Festival at the Gleneagle Hotel.
En route to the final Paddy eliminated fellow PDPA members, Sam Hill and Jake Patchett, while in the other half of the draw John Seagrave was in similar form as he defeated fancied players, Dean Finn and James O'Toole.

In an excellent final Meaney defeated Seagrave by four legs to nil.

Results:
Last 16:
Ciaran Teehan 0 - 3 Jake Patchett
Andrew Ryan 3 - 0 Johnny Meaney
Sam Hill 2 - 3 Paddy Meaney
Stephen Lennon 3 - 1 Dean Forde
Luke Cheevers 1 - 3 John Seagrave
Dean Finn 3 - 0 Dale McCarthy
Dean Dunphy 3 - 1 Ryan Delaney
Liam Gallagher 2 - 3 James OToole

Q/finals:
Jake Patchett 3 - 1 Andrew Ryan.
Paddy Meaney 3 - 1 Stephen Lennon.
John Seagrave 3 - 0 Dean Finn.
Dean Dunphy 0 - 3 James O'Toole.

S/finals:
Jake Patchett 0 - 3 Paddy Meaney
John Seagrave 3 - 2 James O'Toole

Final:
Paddy Meaney 4 - 0 John Seagrave.

P.S - had 2 round to win before the last 16, too.

*Taken from the Killarney Darts Festival page*

Overall, a great day. My form seemed to be getting better each weekend away. Back to the apartment, food and bed by 10pm.

Sunday - Pro Tour 2

8 am rise - shower - food - venue. As you can see my routine doesn't really change all that much :roll:

I had a nice practice with a few of the Irish guys - felt good about the day ahead. 11:45 the draw was on the wall. No prelim, but I did get the prize of playing ''Walshie'' Mark Walsh in round 1.

Last game on the board too! :showbum:

Mark Walsh 6-5 Paddy Meaney.

This result devastated me a little, I'm not gonna lie. Having a 5-3 lead and then to miss 4 darts to win it 6-5 is NOT a fun time. As a whole the game was pretty average, I think we both fed off of each other, which is what we shouldn't be doing. SIGH.

We both agreed it was nip and tuck, but the winner was never really clear. Those are chances I really can't afford to miss. I think it's something that will help me next time around. I won't make the same mistake twice.

A long journey home to reflect on my mixed bag.

WIGAN BOOKED!

Anyway, I'm waffling on a little now. I'll leave it at that for this installment.

Hope ye enjoy
Paddy.
Proud sponsored player of TSoD.

Follow me on twitter - @iPad180

Dicie
International

Re: Killarney Darts

Post by Dicie »

Well done sir.

Keep up the good work.

(You owe me a fiver)
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

what ?
ten quid ?

you will never get that 20 quid of him
Dicie
International

Post by Dicie »

Justin Credible wrote:what ?
ten quid ?

you will never get that 20 quid of him

As usual, myself and Mr Meaney had a little chat Saturday after play.
Whilst doing a few bets for sundays pro tour I liked what he said, so I threw a fiver on him for some craic. . .

I want a fekkin refund
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

you be better off spending it on crack
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Great write up Paddy.
Are you planning on taking the trip to Lakeside to watch your brother?
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Post by Ipad180 »

polarbear70 wrote:Great write up Paddy.
Are you planning on taking the trip to Lakeside to watch your brother?
Cheers, mate. At this moment in time I am, but that could change depending on how much college work I have to get through. Here's hoping! :-)
dudley1975
Superleague Player

Post by dudley1975 »

Good write up Paddy and a few good results. Congrats to your brother too btw.

Hoping to get to both Ally Pally and Lakeside this year so if I happen to do Lakeside same night as you, I'll shout you a beer!

Duds
Social Media:

Twitter - @DudleyHD

Facebook - Darrell Freeland
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

dudley1975 wrote:Good write up Paddy and a few good results. Congrats to your brother too btw.

Hoping to get to both Ally Pally and Lakeside this year so if I happen to do Lakeside same night as you, I'll shout you a beer!

Duds
"YOU A BEER"

People will look.
Ipad180
Steady Sixties

Post by Ipad180 »

dudley1975 wrote:Good write up Paddy and a few good results. Congrats to your brother too btw.

Duds
Sounds like a plan, Duds! :-)