Wigan Weekender 2

All your experiences in one place
paul_butler
Steady Sixties

Wigan Weekender 2

Post by paul_butler »

Finished work at 10pm Thursday night, was on the night buses for 3.30am to get to Euston for the 5.37 train, arrived into Wigan at 8am on Friday morning, headed into Wetherspoons for a breakfast and then cab to to the venue nice and early, really struggling with lack of sleep so loaded up with Sprite and chocolate.

Draw came out and Dave Chisnall was the seed, and he went on to win the board, beating Steve West in the final, Westy having led 3-1, but from 4-4 Chizzy going 12, 11 to win it, before admitting how knackered he was having flown in from Belfast the night before. Maybe that went to show because of the eight Premier League players on Friday (Taylor and Lewis absent) only MVG made it as far as the quarters I think.

Saturday I drew some jealous looks from other markers as I drew a cracking board, with Adrian Lewis, Jelle Klaasen and Stephen Bunting. Jelle Klaasen beat Carl Sparrow, before a slower game to let me settle in, Jim Walker edging out Mick Todd 6-5, lovely bloke is Jim, this was followed by an easy win for Bunting over Mark Jones. Adrian v Jelle was one of the best games I've ever marked, until the last leg Adie was on a 108 average to Jelle's 99, they dropped 10 points ish each in a ropey last leg, but Adie won 6-5 having trailed since the opening leg. Bunting cruised past Jim Walker to set up a board final with Adrian, and Jackpot came out on top, winning 6-4 in a match that never really hit the heights, Adrian averaging 95 to Stephen's 88.

A very strange last 16 game followed, with a clearly tired Simonn Whitlock playing Adie, Simon winning 6-2 with a 10 points lower average, finishing the game with a superb 158 checkout. The two of them chatted and joked throughout the game, and it was really like a game between mates at the end of a night in the pub than a game with a couple of thousand quid riding on it.

Sunday I was feeling rough with a cold and couldn't stop coughing, so I just wanted to get through my board and then stay away from the rest of the games to not disturb anyone, Richie Burnett beat Mensur Suljovic in the board final.

Highlight of the weekend was definitely the board I had on Saturday, always a pleasure marking for Adie Lewis, top bloke.
fling
County Player

Re: Wigan Weekender 2

Post by fling »

Good write-up but tiredness after flying from Belfast !! That is a pretty poor excuse.
paul_butler
Steady Sixties

Post by paul_butler »

I dunno, playing on the Thursday night, having to fly over very early in the morning, and then being ready for a 12pm start (most players are there by 10am) is a bit of a tiring schedule!
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

paul_butler wrote:I dunno, playing on the Thursday night, having to fly over very early in the morning, and then being ready for a 12pm start (most players are there by 10am) is a bit of a tiring schedule!
I know Scott Gibling posted on Facebook he was at one of the Belfast airports at 5am, flying to Manchester - so definitely an early morning for him - not sure if everyone was on the same flight?
paul_butler
Steady Sixties

Post by paul_butler »

Chizzy mentioned beer at 4am at airport to keep himself awake...
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

paul_butler wrote:Chizzy mentioned beer at 4am at airport to keep himself awake...
Normally has the opposite effect for me - makes me sleepy!!! lol