PC Weekend in Crawley

All your experiences in one place
paul_butler
Steady Sixties

PC Weekend in Crawley

Post by paul_butler »

A contrasting two days in Crawley this time, started with an excellent board on Saturday.

Started off with Wes Newton beating Jason Lovett 6-3 having trailed early on, this was followed by an edgy final leg decider between Arron Monk and Glenn Spearing, Arron winning on double two, then it was the newly crowned Premier League Champion, but rather disappointingly Barney never got going, and from 5-0 down eventually lost 6-3 to Nigel Heydon. The last game was another cracker, Mark Webster edging past Stuart Kellett 6-4. Another surprise came next in the form of Arron whitewashing Wes 6-0, don't think Arron could quite believe his luck as Wes didn't play well, Mark continued his good form beating Nigel 6-4, it seemed a bit "after the Lord Mayor's show" for Nigel after he'd beaten Barney. Mark took the board final 6-2 against Arron, Arron looked as if he'd given up at 4-0 down but to his credit came back and won a couple of legs. A break followed as I waited for other boards to finish, found out that Scott MacKenzie had reached his board final, chuffed to see him doing well, then eventually had the Last 16 game between Webster and Gary Anderson. Webby never got going in this one, and Gary cruised to a 6-0 win. I managed to avoid the rugby score, so went home before the end of the tournament to watch it "as live" - and Wasps won as well so I was pleased.

Sunday's I was allocated Board 6, with Justin Pipe as the seed, and I was slightly concerned as I had found it difficult to stay still when marking slower players before, but I needn't have worried as once the games got going it was like marking any other game, and Justin is genuinely the nicest bloke I've marked for, so that put me at ease as well, even after doing my least favourite task of all, spinning the board before the game. Justin trailed early on to Steve Hine, but some excellent finishing gave him a 6-4 win, I think he hit at least 8 ton plus finishes over the games I marked, including at least two 164 outs. From the slower pace of Justin's opener, to an awesome game played at a very quick pace between Jyhan Artut and Jeff Batham. Had it been best of 5 legs, both would have averaged over 110, as Jyhan hit two 11 darters in the first three legs. Jyhan won 6-5, and I thought if he kept that form up he'd win the board. Next up, Kurt Parry won the battle of the Welshmen with Jamie Lewis, 6-4, in a game where Jamie struggled throughout. The last first round game was Antonio Alcinas v Colin Osborne, Colin played very badly, and Antonio won 6-1 without playing too well himself. Jyhan's form didn't continue into the second round, he threw a lot more erratically, maybe struggling with the slower pace, and Justin cruised to a 6-1 win, again his excellent finishing the difference. Antonio upped his game from the first round to take out Kurt 6-3 and set up the board final with Justin. Yet again, finishing was the difference as Antonio missed some chances and Justin took his, winning 6-3. Not much of a wait for Robert Thornton to finish his board final, and I was ready to do the last 16 game between Robert and Ronnie Baxter. In one of the best games I've ever marked, Robert raced into a 5-1 lead, and after a couple of legs of messing around on doubles where either player could have won, Ronnie even giving a sarcastic "wey hey" after hitting a double, from 5-3 Ronnie kicked into gear, going out in 12, 12, and 10 darts to win 6-5. Robert left 41 after 9 darts in the final leg and didn't get a go, absolutely breathtaking, 180s galore from both players, superb. Left and got the train straight into Victoria in time to see Hibs get relegated on penalties, delightful, came home to do my regular league update, then was up and out early on Monday to run an Open in Twickenham.

Look forward to the next one, which for me will be Crawley in September (football fixtures permitting!)
STEVE M
Pub Champion

rileys UK open qualifiers

Post by STEVE M »

Paul gutted mate, seen it's booked up.didnt realise u needed to pre book,I know there is another one on th 14th but I've prepped u for this one.any chance u can have me In or put me as a reserve ?
2013 PDC World championship prediction competition runner up.
2013 PDC players championship prediction champion.