Q-SCHOOL... STILL PINCHING MYSELF

All your experiences in one place
unob
The Ton Club

Post by unob »

Well I'm sorry it's a little delayed... I started on Thursday and Friday by giving some brief reports but the cold I felt coming on for the previous few days hit me really hard on Saturday night / Sunday and I had no energy to do anything much.

I will recap the first couple of days for those who didn't read it and carry on from there. Here goes...

THURSDAY
Arrived at the venue with an excited buzz and got to practising. My first draw was done and I had a prelim but against someone I didn't know. I started OK but obviously not good enough for my opponent as, at 4-2 up he commented "How the f*** am I losing to this c***?". I must admit this knocked me a little bit and I ended up losing out 6-5. An official overheard the comment and after confirming it with the chalker asked me if I wanted to complain. I said that I didn't as I felt that it would a) look like sour grapes because I lost, and b) I would rather prove him wrong on the dart board.

FRIDAY
Received a bye first up and played an Irish youngster Paul Davison in the second round. I started off playing like the previous day and found myself 2-4 down. I gave myself a little talking to started the next leg with a 180 and it kicked me into life and I came back to win 6-4. I kept my positive head into the next game with John Bowles and, despite a strong opening leg from him, at 3-3 I had genuine chances to be 5-1 in front. The match continued on throw until the tenth leg when, at 5-4 he broke me in 11 and my day was over but I had my first two points on the board.

SATURDAY
Again I received the bye and had to play a good friend Ash Holgate in the second round. For those who don't know Ash, he is actually a decent player but he gave up drinking a few years back and suffers terribly with nerves and lack of confidence which have affected his results. I beat him 6-2 but I didn't enjoy it, as I never do when playing mates. Next up another mate, Peter Evison and history has shown that he always plays well against me (I have always taken this as a compliment) so I knew I was in for a game. It turned out exactly right and it went to the wire. I broke him in 14 to go 1-0 up and then lead 2-0, 3-1, 4-2 and 5-3. He held his throw to go 5-4 and broke me in 13 to level up knowing he threw first in the final leg. He missed for a 15, but I went out in 15 and sneaked it. The board final was against Connie Finnan and I really found my form hitting 140 after 140 and finishing like a dream too. My worst leg was 16 darts and he won his two legs both in 14 on his own throw and this was the point when I knew I was playing well enough to go all the way. Darren Latham had won his board and we now faced each other for a place in the final. He started the first leg with a 180 but I managed to get in front and my power scoring was bullying him into making mistakes and most legs he was putting in a low score at the wrong time (for him at least!) and I was able to capitalise and win 6-1. Unfortunately in the final I was beaten by a slightly better player on the day. Andrew Gilding broke me twice in the 3rd and 7th legs - with a 170 and a 144 finish and if it wasn't for that everything was going to plan on throw. It ended 3-6 but I had the pleasure of being told that my 11 points so far should see me through and that I stood in 6th overnight.

SUNDAY
Wanted to try and get at least another two points today to make it through. I wasn't expecting to win through as I felt dreadful with the cold that had come on overnight and I didn't feel confident I would have the energy to last the distance. As it turned out, my energy reserves lasted even shorter than I had hoped. I came through my first round 6-1, and although most peoples observation was that it was my opponents first leg of the weekend, my observation was that the last four legs were won in 13, 16, 15 and 14 so my form was still there. Unfortunately this did not hold on until the next round. I found myself 1-3 down despite busting D10 twice (hitting D15 first dart two throws running) and busting 25 (hitting T9 the first time, then 9, D16 the next) and found that I just couldn't get my darts up high enough! I took out 120 and 110 to win the next two legs and thought it might give me a kick but unfortunately it only gave my opponent one. I lost 3-6 and was left fretting despite being told that I should be fine to qualify.

Obviously it all worked out OK and I am chuffed to be through to the Pro Tour. I am already making arrangements for Crawley (Benidorm has come a bit too soon for me seeing as the prices have all gone up) and I intend to rattle a few cages early doors and hit the ground running. First aim is the UK Open in Bolton, followed by the World Championships. My dream has always been to play darts on the TV and this is the best opportunity I am going to get so I intend to grab it with both hands.

Thanks to everyone for all your support over the weekend. I must apologise to Spaceman as I saw you chatting with Peter Manley as I went to play my first round but couldn't stop to say hello and then I couldn't find you (I am assuming you were marking for Grubby around that time) as it would have been nice to introduce myself.

Thanks again,
John Scott
Wyn
Pub Champion

Re: Q-SCHOOL... STILL PINCHING MYSELF

Post by Wyn »

A cracking write-up,enjoyed reading it :D
You've fully deserved and earned your tour card,and I hope you have a fantastic season. :DDDD: :DDDD:
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

As it happens John, I asked Scott Gibling a couple of times to point you out to me but got sidetracked. :D

I'm sure I will catch up with you in Crawley. :)
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Well done mr Scott been a while since our days in the hammersmith league! Shamed to say I didn't think you would do it but am glad to be proved wrong!
So now will say I will think you will struggle on tour ! Hopefully you will prove me very wrong .
Good luck for the season from both of us .
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

Well done John

All the best on the tour

p.s. how did the guy that beat you on the opening day end up doing?
ub40fan
Pub Champion

Post by ub40fan »

watched a few of your games,well done mate :DDDD: :DDDD: :DDDD:
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Well done bud best of luck for the coming season!
Grubby
Superleague Player

Post by Grubby »

T'was good to catch up again mate. The beauty of the Q school is that with a lot of entrants, double last years, meaning less points were needed for a card. That dream run on Saturday sorted you out a treat. I watched you play a bit of one game and you were very solid, forcing a player into mistakes.
Well done Jon!!!
follow me on twitter @grubby1968!!!
unob
The Ton Club

Post by unob »

spaceman70 wrote:As it happens John, I asked Scott Gibling a couple of times to point you out to me but got sidetracked. :D

I'm sure I will catch up with you in Crawley. :)
Scott came up to me on the practice board and said someone was asking after me but couldn't remember who it was!!!!!
unob
The Ton Club

Post by unob »

hang the dj wrote:Well done John

All the best on the tour

Two points - joint 83rd :-)
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

unob wrote:
hang the dj wrote:Well done John

All the best on the tour

Two points - joint 83rd :-)
You had the last laugh then :D
unob
The Ton Club

Post by unob »

Grubby wrote:T'was good to catch up again mate. The beauty of the Q school is that with a lot of entrants, double last years, meaning less points were needed for a card. That dream run on Saturday sorted you out a treat. I watched you play a bit of one game and you were very solid, forcing a player into mistakes.
Well done Jon!!!
Cheers Steve. It was good to play with the big boys again and looking forward to the tour. Well done to you too. Hope the elbow heals up and good luck for the next two years.
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Well done John.

Look forward to following your progress on the ProTour.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

Before I went and looked who you played on day one I had a feeling it would be that player.

I've come across him a few times at superleague and I've never known someone who doesn't deserve the talent he has.

He through a dart in anger and it narrowly missed the chalkers hand, biggest twat I've seen on the oche!

But as you've said you got the last laugh and has a place on the tour.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Stubby wrote:Before I went and looked who you played on day one I had a feeling it would be that player.

I've come across him a few times at superleague and I've never known someone who doesn't deserve the talent he has.

He through a dart in anger and it narrowly missed the chalkers hand, biggest spanner I've seen on the oche!

But as you've said you got the last laugh and has a place on the tour.
What a complete c0ck.
The Voice
Steady Sixties

Post by The Voice »

Well done mate. have a great time on tour and I'll see you at Barnsley again in March.

All the best mate.

Andy Firth

Follow me on Twitter @bdopdcmc
RH180
Feather Flights

Post by RH180 »

Well Done John Well Deserved Played awesome through out Mate

Rees Hall
unob
The Ton Club

Post by unob »

RH180 wrote:Well Done John Well Deserved Played awesome through out Mate

Rees Hall
Thanks mate. Really appreciated your support on the Saturday along with Phil, Luke and the others. You really spurred me on.
ace
Feather Flights

Post by ace »

well done mate
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

These Stupid "shouldn't be losing to this person" quotes seemed to be coming out a lot over Q school

Friend of a friend I was watching on the Friday was playing someone who went on to win a tour card (and did rather well last weekend). He was winning against said player and he started acting up with all the "shouldn't be losing to this guy" "im embarrassing myself" shit. Ended up losing against the friend of a friend, shook his hand and walked off without saying a word.

The broad official said to the guy "apologise or face not coming back this weekend" so he came and apologised to him but its stupid. Too many big headed people there thinking their the next big thing. Kudos to the board official on my mates occasion and this.

Congratulations on the tour card!