Bit of history, on how I got into the PDC

All your experiences in one place
JeffSmith170
Feather Flights

Post by JeffSmith170 »

Hi Guys/Gals

It was suggested by (cannibal) that I do a write up from a North American perspective about how I got to the point of playing in the PDC.. So here goes :canada

I have been playing darts for as long as I can remember, and have worked very hard to get where I am today. I started off in Canada's NDFC Youth program, having represented my province on 5 occasions at Nationals. I finished 2nd at the Nationals twice, lost the Youth World Masters spot twice. So when the time came to play with the Adults I was fairly seasoned as a player. My first year saw me reach the Canadian Semi Final (TV appearance) at 20 years of age. (16 years ago seems like a 50 now) It then took me nearly 8 years playing NDFC Ranking events before I got my first Ranking Singles title, since then I've won the Majority of the titles I've played in. I've represented Canada on 3 occasions at the Winmau World Masters (& turned down 2 invites). In 2008 I won the National Singles, Pairs, Canadian Open Mixed (all after a 5 year layoff)

My level of play had improved so much during this period (developed confidence) that I found myself wanting something more. I came back to the NDFC in 2008 because the National Champion received an invite to play the PDC World Championship :) Yippie right! Wrong, the PDC changed the format (after I won) to the New North American Order of Merit, and I did not get to compete. Ok back to the drawing board...

It was then I decided, instead of playing Nationals (best I could hope for was another World Masters invite) that I would spend my money and go to the PDC Event in London, ON Canada. I set my goals high, Saturday I played the Prelim had a decent draw won it 6-0... Ok looking good so far, nerves not too bad at all, Round 1 I played 4 x USA National Champion Chris White 6-0 win for me again.. Darts were going great, finishing was great.. Round 2 Jeff Smith vs SnakeBite Peter Wright.. I felt a few nerves in this on but managed to keep my composure through the match, I actually was outplaying Peter and found myself leading 5-4 with the throw. I went up to the board and shot a small score, Peter being the quality player he is One Hundred and Eighty!!!! crap 5-5. Peter then had the throw in the 11th leg, with some power scoring I was sitting on 78 after 9, and missed 40 with my last dart to break and win the set.. Game over.. but I wasn't disappointed, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. I simply thought to myself, i can play with these guys.. Happy Days

On to Day 2

No Prelim, straight to the first round.. I drew a girl and quickly went through 6-0 (hey I've made 400 quid and still going, another couple hundred and I can say I broke even flight,train, hotel incl) Round 2 Uh oh Jeff Smith vs Paul Nicholson (who I believe to be one of the nicest guys on the tour I've met) I scored, and finished extremely well in this match. I managed to take out 81 2 darts, to cruise through with a 6-2 victory. Now I'm just having fun. Round 3 Jeff smith vs Ian White.. I've seen Ian play a couple times and I knew I was about to have a tough game. before I could blink I was down 3 zip.. YIKES Took a glass of water, and got back to work and just a few minutes later i found myself up 4-3 (was on a 9 darter) I then had 3 darts to go up 5-3 and Ian's eyes lit up. and won it and the next. I managed to get back with a clutch break to force the decider.. I had won the bull so my throw in the 11th.. With scores of 100-100-100-97 I was sitting on 104 I look over Ian is on 52.. I hit s17,t17, and just missed the 36. Ian took the 52 on the third dart. Game over..

I had been playing at a PDC level for a few years, but this just confirmed it to me.. Shortly after i was K/O'd Ian came over with a beer, had a good chat with him.. and then Peter, Paul & Simon. They had all complimented my efforts, and suggested I go to Q-School and give it a go. Spoke to John Part about it.. he agreed it's the only way in. So I had the notion to try and get there somehow. Major League Darts then offered to back my plane ticket ($1200.00 Canadian), http://www.playdarts.ca (offered my entry fees).. How could I not go...

So on the plane I go... Barnsley Metrodome here I come. Roll on Q-School.

I met up with good friends Ken MacNeil, and Shaun Narain who were also there from Canada as well as Gary Mawson, it was nice to have a little support at a venue where I knew of many, but none knew me. Day 1 went amazing for me, as I reached the Tour Card match. I played a couple tough sets to get through.. but I then lost to a very decent player in Andy Cornwall (who seized the chances with big finishes).. 9pts I'm happy with that, knowing that was a great start to the 4 day event. Day 2 couple rounds should do it points wise.. Then I draw my good friend Ken, I miss 3 darts at double to go to the decider.. Kenny did not.. out the first round 6-4... I stayed to support Ken until he was out, then decided to head back to the room get some rest and fresh start day 3. Day 3 was another good consistent day, scored well and finished great. Never went to a decider all day and found myself in the Tour Card Final match again against Ross Smith. I was on a roll, and learned from my mistakes in the Day one final. I came out with a 6-2 win ;)

So now I'm registered to play my first PDC Tour event as a Full PDPA member... how cool is that :) Reading England. I am very excited to get back over again.

Sorry for being so winded, but it really does show, persistence and a love for the sport. The possibilities are what you make of them. Dreams do come true..

Thanks for reading

Jeff Smith
chissy
County Player

Re: Bit of history, on how I got into the PDC

Post by chissy »

Thanks for taking the time to write that Jeff, always good to read things from a players perspective. Good luck on the tour!
I'm on Twitter (occasionally) follow me @originalchissy
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Well done Jeff. Acticulately put and an interesting read. All the very best on the tour.

Druid
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Cracking read that Jeff. Very best of luck on the tour.
LondonMan Canada
Brass Darts

Post by LondonMan Canada »

Well done Jeff.Good to hear that hard work pays off.Best of luck on tour
hang the dj
County Player

Post by hang the dj »

Fair play to you Jeff

All the best on your PDC adventure
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

best of luck on the tour to you Jeff.
unob
The Ton Club

Post by unob »

Well done Jeff. It was good meeting you in Barnsley. Look forward to seeing you in Reading.
celticfcbloke
Steady Sixties

Post by celticfcbloke »

Enjoyed your read Jeff, what an adventure. True dedication pays off. Best of luck on your new darting journey!
tweet @celticfcbloke
aswsponge
Brass Darts

Post by aswsponge »

great read jeff , all the best on tour
Dan1987
Pub Champion

Post by Dan1987 »

Good read, best of luck for the tour Jeff
haydenw
Brass Darts

Post by haydenw »

Great read Jeff. Best of luck on the tour!
Darts:22g Madhouse Customs
My Darts Collection: http://s998.photobucket.com/albums/af10 ... ollection/
GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

Good stuff Jeff.

I hope you get to plenty of tournaments - looks as though you could take quite a few scalps this years.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

wildfire39
Feather Flights

Post by wildfire39 »

Enjoyed your post Jeff :) all the best mate on the tour
JeroenvdV
Superleague Player

Post by JeroenvdV »

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Best of luck on the tour... :canada