WORLD GRAND PRIX - DAY TWO

The funniest, wierdest and wildest topics all in one place, preserved for posterity along with classic threads from the BDO and PDC world championships, the Grand Slam of Darts and more
Rout
International

Re: WORLD GRAND PRIX - DAY TWO

Postby Rout » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:52 am

Pauly - you are probably right about the BDO/WDF rule, but id say this country is about the best or one of the best to be, there are certainly plenty of places not to be anyway.

But in the PDC its defo the case when you look at where the Pro tour is based.

The other thing you have to remember, is that 3 of the 4 Irish players drew the top 3 players in the PDC. How can you account for that? They were always on a hiding to nothing. If one or two had got much more favourable draws that would have given the crowd more value. I think its a shame they are going from 3 to 2. The crowds for the opening night have been damp enough and its been nowhere near full allocation, without taking out the local interest more.

If tournies are not individual, they become vunerable. No one wants "just another tournie" - they all have to have their own identity or they will die.
Justin Credible wrote:Jamie Caven is the best darts player in the world

Yes. He actually said this.

WCDPA
International

Postby WCDPA » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:11 am

Pdc is getting so predictable someone needs to close the gap on Taylor or I fear for pdc darts!
Think the mans darts are amazing and has raised the standards of the game!
My buzz about watching Deta is the unpredictable ! I know on her day she will be there or thereabouts but with Taylor the highlight seems to be the draw, that's studied to see who has a chance of playing phil in the final!
As for the Irish boys playing the top 3 is anyone surprised? The big names must get through , if nos 2 and 3 got knocked put 1st round sky wouldn't be able to hype up event! Thank god for the recent BDO converts who look like the only ones who could give phil a game

Gringo
Pub Champion

Postby Gringo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:16 am

WCDPA wrote:As for the Irish boys playing the top 3 is anyone surprised? The big names must get through , if nos 2 and 3 got knocked put 1st round sky wouldn't be able to hype up event! Thank god for the recent BDO converts who look like the only ones who could give phil a game

What? Do you think the draw is fixed??

Rout
International

Postby Rout » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:18 am

WCDPA wrote:Thank god for the recent BDO converts who look like the only ones who could give phil a game

Here here mate. King, Ando and Whitlock being those. And Barney a bit back.

And I am sure the same people who question the quality in the BDO were doing the same 2/3 years ago. If you had told these people Whitlock would be one of taylors top 2/3 rivals 18 months ago they would have slated you. If they are not on telly 8 times a year, they are rubbish at darts, you know!

Gringo
Pub Champion

Postby Gringo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:25 am

Rout wrote:
WCDPA wrote:Thank god for the recent BDO converts who look like the only ones who could give phil a game

And I am sure the same people who question the quality in the BDO were doing the same 2/3 years ago. If you had told these people Whitlock would be one of taylors top 2/3 rivals 18 months ago they would have slated you. If they are not on telly 8 times a year, they are rubbish at darts, you know!

Why do you think these players left the BDO?

Rout
International

Postby Rout » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:41 am

Gringo wrote:
Rout wrote:

I would have thought that was obvious. And also irrelevant. The same people say the same things about the players that are there now. Some will move, some will do well, some will be made to look stupid as a result and pretend they are now twice the player they were in the BDO.

Gringo
Pub Champion

Postby Gringo » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:59 am

Rout wrote:
Gringo wrote:
Rout wrote:

I would have thought that was obvious. And also irrelevant. The same people say the same things about the players that are there now. Some will move, some will do well, some will be made to look stupid as a result and pretend they are now twice the player they were in the BDO.

Why irrelevant? Your banging on how great the BDO is so why did they make the switch?

Maybe these players that move across the divide want to play in better conditions and be respected as the top dart players they are. Im not doubting there isn't a big difference in quality between BDO and PDC darts (apart from Taylor) but where there is a massive difference is, that the PDC provide alot more television appearances for these lads and alot more prize money to be won, as a player myself I dont want to play in a tent or in a hallway adjacent to the toliets (oh wait no thats just what the ladies have to put up with :? )

As a player yourself surely you want to be respected dont you and play in the best conditions possible?

Rout
International

Postby Rout » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:13 am

Gringo wrote:
Rout wrote:
Gringo wrote:
Rout wrote:

Why irrelevant? Your banging on how great the BDO is so why did they make the switch?

Maybe these players that move across the divide want to play in better conditions and be respected as the top dart players they are. Im not doubting there isn't a big difference in quality between BDO and PDC darts (apart from Taylor) but where there is a massive difference is, that the PDC provide alot more television appearances for these lads and alot more prize money to be won, as a player myself I dont want to play in a tent or in a hallway adjacent to the toliets (oh wait no thats just what the ladies have to put up with :? )

As a player yourself surely you want to be respected dont you?

Am I banging on about how great the BDO is? Have a read back through this thread and tell me where I am doing just that. Or am I talk about players as individuals who have recently made the switch? Whats the point I am trying to make do you think? In you head it appears to be that the BDO is a better or equal place to be for the best players. That is just in your head though.

Onto seperate issues you have brought up, not sure why - you mention the women - they could always play on the PDC womens tour - they would be better treated there, no?

And as a player myself, I feel I am and have been respected in every tournie I have entered. And I havent had to sell a kidney to do so, thanks for asking.

O C
Superleague Player

Postby O C » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:14 am

Rout wrote:

I've always thought most people who slate the BDO are slating the organization, not the players. They might have issues with the depth as well, but most recognize there are many players in the BDO who could give the PDC players (Taylor aside) a run for their money. Just my thoughts anyway.

WCDPA
International

Postby WCDPA » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:31 am

From my point of view I don't think I make out how great the BDO are, I feel that people on here and other websites overestimate how good the pdc are! Phil is a one off the rest are good dart players, I liked Dean winstanleys attitude in a recent interview he has stated he has been offered 2 fantastic sponsorships on condition he goes pdc , but wants to win lakeside first a very refreshing attitude in today's money driven game (100k apart) and when Dean goes there will be more on the production line.
Remember even the great phil cut his teeth on holiday camp events.
Think that's why the players who done very well in BDO progress rapidly in pdc they have the competition toughness from the years in 500 strong floor events and seem to handle the pressure better than say lewis.
It must be galling for pdc to know that without BDO there would be no pdc in a few years.
Keep darts divided this way the game will flourish
And hopefully both orgs will keep pushing each other to bigger and better things

ralph cifaretto
Pub Champion

Postby ralph cifaretto » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:55 am

WCDPA wrote:From my point of view I don't think I make out how great the BDO are, I feel that people on here and other websites overestimate how good the pdc are! Phil is a one off the rest are good dart players, I liked Dean winstanleys attitude in a recent interview he has stated he has been offered 2 fantastic sponsorships on condition he goes pdc , but wants to win lakeside first a very refreshing attitude in today's money driven game (100k apart) and when Dean goes there will be more on the production line.
Remember even the great phil cut his teeth on holiday camp events.
Think that's why the players who done very well in BDO progress rapidly in pdc they have the competition toughness from the years in 500 strong floor events and seem to handle the pressure better than say lewis.
It must be galling for pdc to know that without BDO there would be no pdc in a few years.
Keep darts divided this way the game will flourish
And hopefully both orgs will keep pushing each other to bigger and better things

You make a persuasive argument wcdpabc123

O C
Superleague Player

Postby O C » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:04 pm

I agree, the PDC needs the BDO. They might not like how the BDO do things, but any professional sports organization needs a source to develop the professional talent. Just wish there was more cooperation. I think that would benefit both of them. They might push each other being separate, I just think if they pushed together they could take darts even farther.

WCDPA
International

Postby WCDPA » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:08 pm

O C wrote:I agree, the PDC needs the BDO. They might not like how the BDO do things, but any professional sports organization needs a source to develop the professional talent. Just wish there was more cooperation. I think that would benefit both of them. They might push each other being separate, I just think if they pushed together they could take darts even farther.

two big egos in charge it wont happen,words from both sides havent helped , the current losers this time around will be the pdc lads who dont get a tour card, if hearns takeover was successfull there would have been some established events for a 2nd tier tour, now in troubled times they must hope pdc come up with alternative events for them

hang the dj
County Player

Postby hang the dj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:42 pm

WCDPA wrote:
O C wrote:I agree, the PDC needs the BDO. They might not like how the BDO do things, but any professional sports organization needs a source to develop the professional talent. Just wish there was more cooperation. I think that would benefit both of them. They might push each other being separate, I just think if they pushed together they could take darts even farther.

two big egos in charge it wont happen,words from both sides havent helped , the current losers this time around will be the pdc lads who dont get a tour card, if hearns takeover was successfull there would have been some established events for a 2nd tier tour, now in troubled times they must hope pdc come up with alternative events for them

I don't think Barry will care too much about the guys who don't make the tour card

Ginge
International

Postby Ginge » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:43 pm

hang the dj wrote:
WCDPA wrote:

I don't think Barry will care too much about the guys who don't make the tour card

A bit like how the BDO dont give a rats about those that arent the "names".
Wednesday 27th September 2017 - The Day The Earth Stood Still

hang the dj
County Player

Postby hang the dj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Bradders wrote:
hang the dj wrote:
WCDPA wrote:

You mean there are "names" in the BDO?

Apart from Wolfie (which I assume is his real name) I don't know anybody in the BDO

nikkiboy
International

Postby nikkiboy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:03 pm

hang the dj wrote:
Bradders wrote:
hang the dj wrote:
WCDPA wrote:

Apart from Wolfie (which I assume is his real name) I don't know anybody in the BDO

Theres that fella with the bats, the nutty boy, that guy who says "night grandma" a lot, the handsome chap in yellow with sticky out ears and the two fellas who sound like gorillas :D
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO

21st April 2016 7:01am

Rout
International

Postby Rout » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:12 pm

hang the dj wrote:
Bradders wrote:
hang the dj wrote:
WCDPA wrote:

Its not our fault you are thick at sh|t

hang the dj
County Player

Postby hang the dj » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:50 pm

Rout

I'll pull you up for that comment at the next PDC event you attend

nikkiboy
International

Postby nikkiboy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:52 pm

hang the dj wrote:Rout

I'll pull you up for that comment at the next PDC event you attend

:omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:
You may want to rephrase that, Rout will be expecting "favours" and will wear clean(ish) underwear especially
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO

21st April 2016 7:01am

Return to “The Stars Of Darts Archive Section”