World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

The funniest, wierdest and wildest topics all in one place, preserved for posterity along with classic threads from the BDO and PDC world championships, the Grand Slam of Darts and more
User avatar
Rudy
County Player
Posts: 3535
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:42 am
Location: Zoetermeer, Holland

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Rudy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:25 am

I think Phil was tired indeed. He hardly hit his first double in and his trebles hitting was inferior to Adie's. Still, he should have never lost at 4-2.
But great fightback by Adrian, now do the job tonight and don't think you're already there. You've removed Wade's biggest hurdle, see to it you're a worthy bigger hurdle yourself.

User avatar
Paddy McGinty
International
Posts: 23330
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 am
Contact:

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Paddy McGinty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:51 am

Slymaster wrote:Actually looking at the numbers it seems to me that Ade has to thank Mr Anderson to a certain degree.


What a load of b0ll0cks!!!!!!!


Why try and belittle Ade's excellent achievement last night with statements like that?

Still upset cause your god got beat?

It makes me so angry when I hear rubbish like this ........ the close game with Gary should have been an ideal warm up for the match last night, what better practice could Phil have got?

Regards Paddy

:bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

Gringo
Pub Champion
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:47 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Gringo » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Slymaster wrote:Actually looking at the numbers it seems to me that Ade has to thank Mr Anderson to a certain degree.


What a load of b0ll0cks!!!!!!!


Why try and belittle Ade's excellent achievement last night with statements like that?

Still upset cause your god got beat?

It makes me so angry when I hear rubbish like this ........ the close game with Gary should have been an ideal warm up for the match last night, what better practice could Phil have got?

Regards Paddy

:bat:

Spot on :DDDD:

xtreme rebel
County Player
Posts: 4506
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by xtreme rebel » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:33 pm

slymaster wrote:Good one MAB. :WWWW:

Actually looking at the numbers it seems to me that Ade has to thank Mr Anderson to a certain degree.


Was Anderson helping Lewis chuck in the 17 x 180's last night?

GRAYISALEGEND
County Player
Posts: 2297
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 6:25 pm
Location: Worcestershire
Contact:

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by GRAYISALEGEND » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:10 pm

An incredible darts game

Gutted 4 Barn as Rebel has already pointed out

User avatar
Mr Glass
County Player
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: unbreakable

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Mr Glass » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:27 pm

I would say that Phils match against Gary definately took it out of the Power, as he isn't used to being pushed that hard. This is by no means taking anything away from Adrian as he rose to the challenge set before him and did the business.

If I could make a comparison to tennis;-

Federer used to come through Slams without dropping a set, therefore being fresh (both mentally & physically) when it came to the business end of the tournament. Now that Federer is being tested in the early rounds of majors, he is becoming that bit more fragile and mentally drained in the latter stages of events and opponents are jumping on this chance to defeat him. (same in any sport)

I would say that Adrian (and his manager) would definately have picked up on a chink in Taylors armour whilst watching him being pushed all the way by Anderson, and I would expect that Dellers little pep talks to Adrian in the lead up to their Semi Final battle to have been centered around a plan to hang in there and see if Tayor had the stomach for two epic battles within 24 hours.

Now it will be interesting to see if other players out there will gain extra confidence when facing Phil in the forthcoming GSOD and World Championships.

(or will Phil just hit the practice board harder/change his darts and come back better than ever) :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price

Marching On Together
Steady Sixties
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Marching On Together » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:29 pm

Although it could be said that the Anderson game took its toil on Taylor........that hasn't bothered him in events like the UK Open when you play a Q/F, Semi-Final and Final in one day

Martin Adams Beard
Pub Champion
Posts: 813
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:41 pm
Location: Co.Louth,Ireland
Contact:

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Martin Adams Beard » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Just watchin it now. Taylor played nearly the Whole match with a face like a slapped arse.

Marching On Together
Steady Sixties
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Marching On Together » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:35 pm

Martin Adams Beard wrote:Just watchin it now. Taylor played nearly the Whole match with a face like a slapped arse.


Certainly didn't seem himself. So wayward darts at times, especially at the end when he had three darts to start off which were all over the place

User avatar
Arthur Daley
Brass Darts
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 7:19 pm
Location: Reading

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Arthur Daley » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Marching On Together wrote:
Certainly didn't seem himself. So wayward darts at times, especially at the end when he had three darts to start off which were all over the place


Taylor certainly didn't seem his usual smiling self - perhaps realising what a tough and important match he had ahead.
Great performance by Lewis, who showed tremendous character to hang in there despite going 4-2 down. A lot of players will have crumbled at 4-2 down after performing so well in the early stages.

Marching On Together - great username!

User avatar
Mr Glass
County Player
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: unbreakable

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Mr Glass » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Marching On Together wrote:Certainly didn't seem himself. So wayward darts at times, especially at the end when he had three darts to start off which were all over the place

As late in the match as that was, it was the first time all night that I truly believed that the great man was beaten.

His darts went in at all angles. :roll:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price

User avatar
Paddy McGinty
International
Posts: 23330
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 am
Contact:

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Paddy McGinty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:11 pm

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:I would say that Phils match against Gary definately took it out of the Power, as he isn't used to being pushed that hard. This is by no means taking anything away from Adrian as he rose to the challenge set before him and did the business.

If I could make a comparison to tennis;-

Federer used to come through Slams without dropping a set, therefore being fresh (both mentally & physically) when it came to the business end of the tournament. Now that Federer is being tested in the early rounds of majors, he is becoming that bit more fragile and mentally drained in the latter stages of events and opponents are jumping on this chance to defeat him. (same in any sport)

I would say that Adrian (and his manager) would definately have picked up on a chink in Taylors armour whilst watching him being pushed all the way by Anderson, and I would expect that Dellers little pep talks to Adrian in the lead up to their Semi Final battle to have been centered around a plan to hang in there and see if Tayor had the stomach for two epic battles within 24 hours.

Now it will be interesting to see if other players out there will gain extra confidence when facing Phil in the forthcoming GSOD and World Championships.

(or will Phil just hit the practice board harder/change his darts and come back better than ever) :)


Absulute rubbish, how can you possibly compare someone playing darts for and hour or two with someone competing in a very physical game like tennis.

With the amount of pratice that Taylor puts in each day I hardly think that playing one match in 24 hours is going to cripple someones ability, after all isn't that what makes PDC players better than their conterparts because of the amount of games they play and the tougher competition they face?

As I said 6 months ago when Taylor played that fantastic match acheiving 2 nine dart finishes........."Taylor has peaked there is only one direction that he can go, I can see him dominating for another couple of years before his form starts to drop away, it's the only natural course for someone that has dominated his sport for such a length of time.

I think during this tournament we are starting to see the chinks in his armour starting to materilise, don't get me wrong he's still the best player but the gap has started to close.

Regards Paddy

:bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

User avatar
Mr Glass
County Player
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: unbreakable

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Mr Glass » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:15 pm

Paddy McGinty wrote:Absulute rubbish, how can you possibly compare someone playing darts for and hour or two with someone competing in a very physical game like tennis.
Regards Paddy
:bat:

So you don't think that darts is mentally draining.???

I play darts (as you do) and I have also played some of the most physical sports out there, and there aren't many games that destroy you mentally as much as darts does.

I never once said that Phil was physically drained Paddy.

Regards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price

ralph cifaretto
Pub Champion
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by ralph cifaretto » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:17 pm

GRAYISALEGEND wrote:An incredible darts game

Gutted 4 Barn as Rebel has already pointed out


Is anybody still talking about Barney being capable of winning a major again?

Barney could be considered: Lazy/Also-ran/Bottle-job/Excuse peddlar (delete as applicable).

'Gutted 4 Barn'. Don't make me laugh. He's done nothing in the last 2+ years for your comment not to be ridiculed.

User avatar
Mr Glass
County Player
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: unbreakable

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Mr Glass » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:20 pm

ralph cifaretto wrote:'Gutted 4 Barn'. Don't make me laugh. He's done nothing in the last 2+ years for your comment not to be ridiculed.

I also don't understand these 'gutted' for Barn comments.

Is there a train of thought with the Barney fans that if his game against Wade last night was played after the Lewis/Taylor match, that Barney would have come out all guns firing against James as he knew he wouldn't have to face the man he has given up all hope of ever beating again in the Final.?

hmmmmmmm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price

User avatar
Paddy McGinty
International
Posts: 23330
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 11:01 am
Contact:

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Paddy McGinty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:37 pm

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Absulute rubbish, how can you possibly compare someone playing darts for and hour or two with someone competing in a very physical game like tennis.
Regards Paddy
:bat:

So you don't think that darts is mentally draining.???

I play darts (as you do) and I have also played some of the most physical sports out there, and there aren't many games that destroy you mentally as much as darts does.

I never once said that Phil was physically drained Paddy.

Regards.


To a degree, yes I do, but tennis is not a good comparison with darts. Taylor has played difficult games in the past and sometimes many games a day, he had a full 24 hrs to relax and recouperate, can't people except that Phil didn't play as well as usual and stop inventing these stupid excuses for why he was beaten? ...........after all he's not a machine!!

Give credit where credits due.....the 17 x 180's that Ade hit may have had an affect on the outcome of the match, don't you think??

Paddy

:bat:
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

User avatar
Mr Glass
County Player
Posts: 3699
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: unbreakable

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Mr Glass » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Paddy McGinty wrote:To a degree, yes I do, but tennis is not a good comparison with darts. Taylor has played difficult games in the past and sometimes many games a day, he had a full 24 hrs to relax and recouperate, can't people except that Phil didn't play as well as usual and stop inventing these stupid excuses for why he was beaten? ...........after all he's not a machine!!
Give credit where credits due.....the 17 x 180's that Ade hit may have had an affect on the outcome of the match, don't you think??
Paddy
:bat:

Yes, tennis wasn't the best comparison I could have made I agree.

I'm not making excuses as to why Taylor was beaten Paddy. I'm basically just trying to say that Lewis must have gained great belief from watching Taylor rattled the night before, hence why he went out there and owned that stage and took the game to Taylor (17 180's and all).

If Taylor had swept Anderson aside 4-0 the night before, then maybe (just maybe), Adrian might have not had so much belief that he could finally beat Taylor in a Major.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price

mancdart
The Ton Club
Posts: 346
Joined: Sat May 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by mancdart » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:55 pm

I think the Anderson fans/hangers on need to show some class here. Lewis was 4-2 down against Taylor and beat him 5-4 off his own back. was it 17 x 180s? Yeah, it was.

xtreme rebel
County Player
Posts: 4506
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by xtreme rebel » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:04 pm

My gutted for Barney comment was meant in the way that when he seems to reach a major final, he runs into Taylor either along the way or in the final. The last 2 years of this event, the recent WMP. Now for once when Taylor is beaten, Barney turned up with his D game last night and got thumped. Thats just the way it goes.

Wade hasn't played that well this week. I'd be disgusted if he slips in on the blind side and picks up his 5th Sky major, without beating Taylor in any of them.

robot
Superleague Player
Posts: 1647
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:56 pm

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by robot » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:11 pm

mancdart wrote:I think the Anderson fans/hangers on need to show some class here. Lewis was 4-2 down against Taylor and beat him 5-4 off his own back. was it 17 x 180s? Yeah, it was.


Anderson fan here but don't give him any credit for Lewis beating Taylor last night. Taylor historically has had more stamina beyond any other player, but last nights final few sets were a combination of his level dropping, Ade's rising and I believe the younger guy's hunger and energy levels played their part.
2010 TSOD Grand Slam of Darts Prediction Competition - Overall Winner

Post Reply

Return to “The Stars Of Darts Archive Section”