World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

The funniest, wierdest and wildest topics all in one place, preserved for posterity along with classic threads from the BDO and PDC world championships, the Grand Slam of Darts and more
Mr Glass
County Player

Re: World Grand Prix 2010 - Semi Finals

Post by Mr Glass » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:53 pm

xtreme rebel wrote:Wade hasn't played that well this week. I'd be disgusted if he slips in on the blind side and picks up his 5th Sky major, without beating Taylor in any of them.

You can only beat what's put up against you.

Every 'Major' Win is equal, regardless of who you come up against along the way.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price

Murphio
International

Post by Murphio » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:22 pm

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:
xtreme rebel wrote:Wade hasn't played that well this week. I'd be disgusted if he slips in on the blind side and picks up his 5th Sky major, without beating Taylor in any of them.

Every 'Major' Win is equal, regardless of who you come up against along the way.

Dont agree, to me there is a hollow nature of a victory if you havent beaten Taylor en route. Wade will have won five titles without facing the master in any of them - that is a fortunate stat on his behalf imo.

Azitis
Feather Flights

Post by Azitis » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:38 pm

Murphio wrote:

Dont agree, to me there is a hollow nature of a victory if you havent beaten Taylor en route. Wade will have won five titles without facing the master in any of them - that is a fortunate stat on his behalf imo.

god help all the players when taylor retires! no one will ever be able to say they have won a major, because it will be "hollow". if you dont personally beat "the man" you beat the man who beat the man. quite logical really.

Mr Glass
County Player

Post by Mr Glass » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:42 pm

Murphio wrote:Dont agree, to me there is a hollow nature of a victory if you havent beaten Taylor en route. Wade will have won five titles without facing the master in any of them - that is a fortunate stat on his behalf imo.

But if Wade Wins tonight, he will have beaten a player who played better and beat Phil Taylor.
That's an even better achievement surely??

No such thing as an hollow victory guys.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you know what the scariest thing is? To not know your place in this world, to not know why you're here. Elijah Price

Azitis
Feather Flights

Post by Azitis » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm

yeah, and when liverpool did the double over man utd, then utd won the premiership, it was a "hollow" premiership win!

Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:04 pm

Murphio wrote:Dont agree, to me there is a hollow nature of a victory if you havent beaten Taylor en route. Wade will have won five titles without facing the master in any of them - that is a fortunate stat on his behalf imo.

But if Wade Wins tonight, he will have beaten a player who played better and beat Phil Taylor.
That's an even better achievement surely??

No such thing as an hollow victory guys.

BOF is right,

Paddy
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"

and the Iron Fist
Superleague Player

Post by and the Iron Fist » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:14 pm

xtreme rebel wrote:My gutted for Barney comment was meant in the way that when he seems to reach a major final, he runs into Taylor either along the way or in the final. The last 2 years of this event, the recent WMP. Now for once when Taylor is beaten, Barney turned up with his D game last night and got thumped. Thats just the way it goes.

Wade hasn't played that well this week. I'd be disgusted if he slips in on the blind side and picks up his 5th Sky major, without beating Taylor in any of them.

So you'll be supporting Adie Lewis tonight? First time for everything!

I wouldn't say Wade's majors were 'hollow' but it is better to beat Taylor along the way. Every final Wade has reached when he wasn't playing Taylor he won; every final he has played Taylor in he has lost. He does need to beat him to historically be classed among the great players like Van Barneveld and the olden day stars, in my opinion.
"It seems he thinks he is entitled to say what he likes" - 'Gadffi' Dicie on and the Iron Fist.

trotter
International

Post by trotter » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:20 pm

no such thing as a hollow victory....the record books don't have asterisks against the winner if they haven't beaten the number 1 seed along the way...nobody said Jocky Wilson's Embassy win once was devalued cos Bristow lost first round that year...it takes a special player to win a TV event regardless of opponents though i agree it would be personally special to that player if they did beat Taylor along the way though..
However, how many players have beaten taylor on TV and then won the whole thing....not many....Jenkins, Part , Mardle have done it and then lost so its not easy thats for sure

slymaster
International

Post by slymaster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:53 pm

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Slymaster wrote:Actually looking at the numbers it seems to me that Ade has to thank Mr Anderson to a certain degree.

What a load of b0ll0cks!!!!!!!

Why try and belittle Ade's excellent achievement last night with statements like that?

Still upset cause your god got beat?

It makes me so angry when I hear rubbish like this ........ the close game with Gary should have been an ideal warm up for the match last night, what better practice could Phil have got?

Regards Paddy

:bat:

Nice editing....!

What about:
+++++++++++++
Lewis played superb in set 7 and 8!
Nothing to take away from Mr Lewis. It was a great comeback and a fantastic win for him.
Pressure on Taylor? Ade had the pressure being 2-4 down and 0-2 in set 9.
++++++++++++++

Thats the problem with ferrets like you.
I am able to analyse a game. You -obviously not.
Taylor looked drained as hell. His first dart was terrible.
His scoring was all over the place. T19 just awful.

Taylor is not my god but as a statsmaniac I am in awe.
I enjoyed his match vs Ade. And also admired Ade winning it.

Taylor not giving an interview – me don’t like.

All the best for Ade although I think that Wade will win it.
It was an important win for his career. Kudos to him!

Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:47 pm

slymaster wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Slymaster wrote:Actually looking at the numbers it seems to me that Ade has to thank Mr Anderson to a certain degree.

What a load of b0ll0cks!!!!!!!

Why try and belittle Ade's excellent achievement last night with statements like that?

Still upset cause your god got beat?

It makes me so angry when I hear rubbish like this ........ the close game with Gary should have been an ideal warm up for the match last night, what better practice could Phil have got?

Regards Paddy

Nice editing....!

What about:
+++++++++++++
Lewis played superb in set 7 and 8!
Nothing to take away from Mr Lewis. It was a great comeback and a fantastic win for him.
Pressure on Taylor? Ade had the pressure being 2-4 down and 0-2 in set 9.
++++++++++++++

Thats the problem with ferrets like you.
I am able to analyse a game. You -obviously not.
Taylor looked drained as hell. His first dart was terrible.
His scoring was all over the place. T19 just awful.

Taylor is not my god but as a statsmaniac I am in awe.
I enjoyed his match vs Ade. And also admired Ade winning it.

Taylor not giving an interview – me don’t like.

All the best for Ade although I think that Wade will win it.
It was an important win for his career. Kudos to him!

My original B0ll0cks statement was a reply to your claim that Gary played a part in Phils defeat, now you come back with a post citing satistical evidence which means nothing. I can give you a statement of fact to mull over, Lewis was 4 - 2 down, but fought back to win the match 5 - 4 if Taylor didn't perform to his historical best that's not Ade's problem......after all he can only beat what's put in front of him. Taylor didn't look drained to me but worried, his darts wern't quite as accurate as usual, and the more he tried the poorer they were getting.

Why was Taylor so drained then?...... As I said earlier, before his match with Ade, he had played only one match in the last 72 hrs, hardly a demanding schedule don't you think?

I don't give a fek how you analyse your games but all I can tell you is that Ade played best on the night and hit more set winning doubles than Taylor, and in my book that's all that really counts.

Fond Regards,

Paddy

slymaster
International

Post by slymaster » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Paddy McGinty wrote:
My god you are a tosser!

My original B0ll0cks statement was a reply to your claim that Gary played a part in Phils defeat, now you come back with a post citing satistical evidence which means nothing. I can give you a statement of fact to mull over, Lewis was 4 - 2 down, but fought back to win the match 5 - 4 if Taylor didn't perform to his historical best that's not Ade's problem......after all he can only beat what's put in front of him. Taylor didn't look drained to me but worried, his darts wern't quite as accurate as usual, and the more he tried the poorer they were getting.

Why was Taylor so drained then?...... As I said earlier, before his match with Ade, he had played only one match in the last 72 hrs, hardly a demanding schedule don't you think?

Paddy

Dear Paddy McTwaaty!

Because the match with Anderson did exhaust Taylor a lot. And now I am going to tell you a secret....darts is also a mental game.
For the first time in a while another player stepped up and matched (bettered) Taylor at the highest level.
Now add the fekkin crowd into the mix and voilà.

Just look at the Player Champs final. Taylor lost vs Nichoslon after he played against a fantastic Colin Lloyd.
Taylor 9-7 Lloyd
106,44 vs 100,95

He was lucky at the Euros. Jones played his first major final in the PDC.

Warmest Sympathy
Sly
Last edited by slymaster on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rout
International

Post by Rout » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:25 pm

Disgusted?

Well done

Edited by Admin, no name calling please fellas
Justin Credible wrote:Jamie Caven is the best darts player in the world
Yes. He actually said this.

Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:41 pm

slymaster wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
My god you are a tosser!

Paddy

Dear Paddy McTwaaty!

Because the match with Anderson did exhaust Taylor a lot. And now I am going to tell you a secret....darts is also a mental game.
For the first time in a while another player stepped up and matched (bettered) Taylor at the highest level.
Now add the ferreting crowd into the mix and voilà.

Just look at the Player Champs final. Taylor lost vs Nichoslon after he played against a fantastic Colin Lloyd.
Taylor 9-7 Lloyd
106,44 vs 100,95

He was lucky at the Euros. Jones played his first major final in the PDC.

Warmest Sympathy
Sly

He had one match in 72 hours and he was mentally drained..................sounds to me if Phil can't handle that heavy schedule he should give up darts.

How do you statistically add in the effect the crowd has on a particular player, do you say, add on 10 points for 80 decibels and 15 for 100 decibels, sometimes sly you do talk B0ll0cks, but how you, a self confessed stats man can possibly stand there, and tell me that Gary's game affected the way Phil played 24 hrs later is simply beyound me, what statistical proof have you got..........he looked drained!! :DDD: :DDD:

Rout
International

Post by Rout » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Rout wrote:

Disgusted?

Well done

Didnt see you edit it when someone called Bradders a tosser on the Dave clark thread?? Wonder why that may be?!?

So ill revert that name back to mr Xtreme then for his utterly unreal comment above, if thats allowed.

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:51 pm

I can only edit things if they are reported or if I spot them, I'll have a look at that thread
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:54 pm

Rout wrote:
Rout wrote:

Disgusted?

Well done

Didnt see you edit it when someone called Bradders a tosser on the Dave clark thread?? Wonder why that may be?!?

So ill revert that name back to mr Xtreme then for his utterly unreal comment above, if thats allowed.

To be fair, I think the tosser comment was said in jest by Paddy.

Rout
International

Post by Rout » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 pm

nikkiboy wrote:I can only edit things if they are reported or if I spot them, I'll have a look at that thread

Does "piece of work" qualify as name calling?

:binkybaby: :binkybaby: :D

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Rout wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:I can only edit things if they are reported or if I spot them, I'll have a look at that thread

Id say a compliment mate, its not often that you and work are mentioned in the same sentence
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am

Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:56 pm

Rout wrote:

Only if you put nasty in front of it. ;)

Rout
International

Post by Rout » Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:03 pm

nikkiboy wrote:
Rout wrote:

Id say a compliment mate, its not often that you and work are mentioned in the same sentence

Wahay! You can have that one! Chalk it up!

Return to “The Stars Of Darts Archive Section”