Basgooner - Don’t pick up the soap

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Murphio
International

Re: Basgooner - Don’t pick up the soap

Post by Murphio »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:52 pm
Murphio wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:54 pm This is disgusting. So I want to buy a DVD of the 1992 Embassy and the guy selling it can be jailed? Effing hell. So ok it was copyrighted but who was he denying income? Who else was filling the market? A scandalous arrest, a scandalous case and a scandalous sentence if he goes to prison. No doubt some idiot off here or the other forums grassed him up. Pathetic. Sorry for you troubles Basgooner.
I think it's more to do with him selling at least 10,000 of them.
Who gives an eff? Fair play to him. Fairly sure Richard Branson started out by bootlegging records. If he was selling movies or TV series and denying the artists income then fair enough, you are hitting people in the pocket and you take that risk then you have to pay the price if caught. Buy this is essentially a victimless crime - a niche market which he filled with his own effort.

He broke copyright - so what, no different than millions do everyday uploading stuff to youtube for profit. Maybe the cops should try focusing their efforts on combating crime where there is actually a victim instead of some poor bastard who has gone to the bother of burning Ronnie Baxter v Ted Hankey to DVD and selling it for a few quid.
PT13
Pub Champion

Post by PT13 »

Murphio wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:54 pm This is disgusting. So I want to buy a DVD of the 1992 Embassy and the guy selling it can be jailed? Effing hell. So ok it was copyrighted but who was he denying income? Who else was filling the market? A scandalous arrest, a scandalous case and a scandalous sentence if he goes to prison. No doubt some idiot off here or the other forums grassed him up. Pathetic. Sorry for you troubles Basgooner.
Agreed. It's really sad what's happened, and I do wonder who reported him. He got sentenced to 18 months in jail on 25 April, and the master DVDs and equipment that got seized in the March 2017 raid of his house got forfeited after his conviction. Meanwhile, not one banker in Britain who played a part in crashing the world economy and forcing austerity on billions of people has been jailed. Bourgeois morality laid bare, and it stinks.
thelad1985
Pub Champion

Post by thelad1985 »

i agree lads - i have lakesides on vhs in my collection - but some people dont think shit this stuff might not be showed again - i still dont have lakesides on tape from the 1990s - bas was a help to many people like me - who couldnt get this shit from others - never bought a copied dvd - but no wonder others do -

robson
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

PT13 wrote:
Agreed. It's really sad what's happened, and I do wonder who reported him. He got sentenced to 18 months in jail on 25 April, and the master DVDs and equipment that got seized in the March 2017 raid of his house got forfeited after his conviction. Meanwhile, not one banker in Britain who played a part in crashing the world economy and forcing austerity on billions of people has been jailed. Bourgeois morality laid bare, and it stinks.
Yes, its a mystery as to how he got caught, isnt it? Its not as if he had a website with a huge list of events which he advertised all over forums and social media. Oh, hang on...

Big Jock Knew
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

It’s a sad reflection on our justice system that a man has been jailed for breaking the law and profiting from it with a six figure sum which he paid no income tax on.
I am sickened to the core.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

BlueSpark wrote:It’s a sad reflection on our justice system that a man has been jailed for breaking the law and profiting from it with a six figure sum which he paid no income tax on.
Plus may have ignored letters to stop, who knows?
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:39 am
BlueSpark wrote:It’s a sad reflection on our justice system that a man has been jailed for breaking the law and profiting from it with a six figure sum which he paid no income tax on.
Plus may have ignored letters to stop, who knows?
If so would be the icing on the cake for me. Sickening!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Like I said, he deserves to hang just for his misuse of apostrophes on the website.
Big Jock Knew
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Paddy McGinty wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:33 am Anyway now he's been rumbled there's a gap in the market, anyone want to buy some early behind the scenes Embassy footage?
Why did you delete this post, Smidge?
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 am
Paddy McGinty wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:33 am Anyway now he's been rumbled there's a gap in the market, anyone want to buy some early behind the scenes Embassy footage?
Cause it wasn't funny enough, i will reword it. Thanks for taking notice though it means a lot to me....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
Ginge wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 am
Cause it wasn't funny enough, i will reword it. Thanks for taking notice though it means a lot to me....
You should have said it features never before seen footage of Martin Fitzmaurice racially abusing some Indian men in the players bar.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Murphio wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:22 am
Who gives an eff? Fair play to him. Fairly sure Richard Branson started out by bootlegging records. If he was selling movies or TV series and denying the artists income then fair enough, you are hitting people in the pocket and you take that risk then you have to pay the price if caught. Buy this is essentially a victimless crime - a niche market which he filled with his own effort.

He broke copyright - so what, no different than millions do everyday uploading stuff to youtube for profit. Maybe the cops should try focusing their efforts on combating crime where there is actually a victim instead of some poor bastard who has gone to the bother of burning Ronnie Baxter v Ted Hankey to DVD and selling it for a few quid.
Branson started with a legal record shop. Sport is no different to a TV series, he is denying the sportpeople income indirectly via TV rights etc. You can't protect actors and not sportspeople.
Nothing he was doing was niche, he did loads of sports and also very very uptodate - not just 'historical interest' stuff.
He was also denying us Tax - he was earning a lot of money and not paying tax.
If you load something to Youtube and its copyrighted you don't get any income, its grabbed by the bots that crawl youtube and identify the correct licence holder.
The Police have to focus some effort on tax and copywrite fraud otherwise everyone would do it more.
He went to the effort of burning thousands and thousands of DVD's, both new and old.

sorry mate, I don't think you could be more wrong on this one, it was a pretty big operation he was running and in full site. Not much police effort would have been needed on this one. Easy win.
Wookiee
Pub Champion

Post by Wookiee »

Bang to rights, zero sympathy. He was a proper precious ferret as well.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Wookiee wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:50 am Bang to rights, zero sympathy. He was a proper precious ferret as well.
Come on, you know the rules by now, anyone involved in darts is a "salt of the earth" type and must be defended at all costs.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Skewball wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:39 am

Branson started with a legal record shop. Sport is no different to a TV series, he is denying the sportpeople income indirectly via TV rights etc. You can't protect actors and not sportspeople.
Nothing he was doing was niche, he did loads of sports and also very very uptodate - not just 'historical interest' stuff.
If you load something to Youtube and its copyrighted you don't get any income, its grabbed by the bots that crawl youtube and identify the correct licence holder.
The Police have to focus some effort on tax and copywrite fraud otherwise everyone would do it more.
He went to the effort of burning thousands and thousands of DVD's, both new and old.

sorry mate, I don't think you could be more wrong on this one, it was a pretty big operation he was running and in full site. Not much police effort would have been needed on this one. Easy win.
Hard to disagree with him getting caught and punished but prison? Come on Skewy even you must look at that and see that there are people who commit physical assualt who get less time.
He broke the law and being made to pay the monies back along with community service would in my opinion have been a better punishment.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Does he still play county darts? Least he will be out for the new season, every cloud and all that.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

nikkiboy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:22 am
Skewball wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:39 am

Hard to disagree with him getting caught and punished but prison? Come on Skewy even you must look at that and see that there are people who commit physical assualt who get less time.
He broke the law and being made to pay the monies back along with community service would in my opinion have been a better punishment.
the scale of the operation gets him that long in jail. What you get time for assault in neither here or there, that's a separate issue. Whataboutism is no form of argument.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Anyway, why has my signature been deleted? Not my fault if people were not up at 2am to watch it, more fool them.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Ginge wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:27 am Anyway, why has my signature been deleted? Not my fault if people were not up at 2am to watch it, more fool them.
!! a spoiler!

right, I'm off here for the day then. No one is spoiling my evening!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

How is it a spoiler if its already been broadcast in this country? :WWWW:
Big Jock Knew