Sacked from chalking

All the chat about Ladies Darts in one place including details of the Ladies Darts Classic
STEVE M
Pub Champion

Sacked from chalking

Post by STEVE M »

Was in my local recently having a quiet practice when i realised that the womens team were due to play so promply made way and decided to watch.
I was then asked to chalk in which i was quite happy too but then ran into some difficulties,the darts were being sprayed all over the place treble 9,single 17,treble 3 in quick fashion.
Whilst i'm trying to add the scoring up when the player has snatched the darts out the board it was testing plus all legs were 401 and had other players shouting out corrections to previous scores.Total nightmare
I lasted three legs only before one of their regular chalkers took over and made me feel like a plum.
My counting abilities are good but was not prepared to quickly count darts that were going all over the board in irregular numbers.
I'm not knocking womens darts because i know that there are women out there who can play to a high standard but for those of you who think you are good chalkers,try and chalk a womens pub league game for a real test.
moan over
2013 PDC World championship prediction competition runner up.
2013 PDC players championship prediction champion.
nevil22
Pub Champion

Re: Sacked from chalking

Post by nevil22 »

STEVE M wrote:Was in my local recently having a quiet practice when i realised that the womens team were due to play so promply made way and decided to watch.
I was then asked to chalk in which i was quite happy too but then ran into some difficulties,the darts were being sprayed all over the place treble 9,single 17,treble 3 in quick fashion.
Whilst i'm trying to add the scoring up when the player has snatched the darts out the board it was testing plus all legs were 401 and had other players shouting out corrections to previous scores.Total nightmare
I lasted three legs only before one of their regular chalkers took over and made me feel like a plum.
My counting abilities are good but was not prepared to quickly count darts that were going all over the board in irregular numbers.
I'm not knocking womens darts because i know that there are women out there who can play to a high standard but for those of you who think you are good chalkers,try and chalk a womens pub league game for a real test.
moan over
I did this many years ago,never made any mistakes but almost fell asleep through boredom.How long can 1 person look at 2 women throwing for the madhouse :darts
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Agreed Nev. I put my good marking skills down to marking for a season with the local ladies team over 20 yrs ago.
Yes, it could be a double-1 fest, but if you could count there, you could count anywhere.
Plus I was trying to pull one of the girls on the team too which was a good incentive!

PS - Still mark occasionally for the local ladies on a Tuesday (it keeps me on my toes!).....with much the same incentive, but don't tell the wife!!
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

We often play 501 at the brother-in-laws, and I mark with pen and paper when I do it. We get 25, T14, D13 quite frequently! You get used to it - but that's under no pressure of getting it wrong!
ihatepasties
Feather Flights

Post by ihatepasties »

Extremely interesting reading this post. I play and chalk in a local ladies league which last season brought in a rule mid way through when a complaint was put in by an opposing team that I had already chalked up the score before the checker had even managed to count it up. I find it incredible that I could be penalised purely for being able to count and keep the game flowing.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

ihatepasties wrote:Extremely interesting reading this post. I play and chalk in a local ladies league which last season brought in a rule mid way through when a complaint was put in by an opposing team that I had already chalked up the score before the checker had even managed to count it up. I find it incredible that I could be penalised purely for being able to count and keep the game flowing.
Tell me you live near Wigan. :)
Walshiefan
Steady Sixties

Post by Walshiefan »

What do you mean by that. Nothing wrong with living near Wigan.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Walshiefan wrote:What do you mean by that. Nothing wrong with living near Wigan.
I intend to try and cover 22 PDC events with day officials next year, 11 of which are in Wigan. It was a compliment as this guy can obviously mark well.

Chill. ;)
ihatepasties
Feather Flights

Post by ihatepasties »

Sorry Spaceman but this GAL don't live in Wigan but you may know the GUY I live with in Coventry
clarky
The Ton Club

Post by clarky »

ihatepasties wrote:Sorry Spaceman but this GAL don't live in Wigan but you may know the GUY I live with in Coventry
What are you trying to say Dave I live with a GAL and not a GUY and yes its true that she is a bloody good marker and was officially warned by the league for marking the scores before the bint behind her could add up the scores
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

clarky wrote:
ihatepasties wrote:Sorry Spaceman but this GAL don't live in Wigan but you may know the GUY I live with in Coventry
What are you trying to say Dave I live with a GAL and not a GUY and yes its true that she is a bloody good marker and was officially warned by the league for marking the scores before the bint behind her could add up the scores
I love a rebel. :D
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

that happened to me as well on a league finals night, I got told off for marking the scores before the caller had added even one dart up - i kid you not
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

nikkiboy wrote:that happened to me as well on a league finals night, I got told off for marking the scores before the caller had added even one dart up - i kid you not
No surprise nothing more than throwing where you're looking. Can be quite a shock when the pro dart doesn't land where it's expected.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

spaceman70 wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:that happened to me as well on a league finals night, I got told off for marking the scores before the caller had added even one dart up - i kid you not
No surprise nothing more than throwing where you're looking. Can be quite a shock when the pro dart doesn't land where it's expected.
My worst one when I am marking is knowing exactly what is left but not having a fekkin clue what was scored
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
STEVE M
Pub Champion

Post by STEVE M »

Thats the problem i have when using electronic scorers,should be banned.
2013 PDC World championship prediction competition runner up.
2013 PDC players championship prediction champion.
Adie
County Player

Post by Adie »

i have marked for ladies leagues. Its the best practice you can get. As someone said if you can mark there you can mark anywhere.

Remember me old saying...... There are three types of marker out there, those who can count and those who can't
Not as mustard as Chissy
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

Normally on league nights I chalk and their "shouter" just looks at the board and smiles, and on away games I'll shout and correct the chalker all night .

Anything difficult and a few of them really do struggle! I've even seen a chalker with his mobile phone using it as a calculator!!
thepleasure
The Ton Club

Post by thepleasure »

i used to mark for the monday ladies league because i was friendly with one of the teams then they brought a rule in that said men couldnt mark in their ladies league. then the week after the rule came in i was at a match where the last game couldnt be played because nobody was willing to mark, i offered but was told that i couldnt. ill never understand that logic.
AFRICA'S FIRST AND ONLY PROTOUR MARKER.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ladies leagues can get like that. My wife was captain of a team a few years back and I attended the AGM with her (none of her team went along as they requested one rep per team).

All members of virtually every other team turned up, bickered and argued with each other all night and voting was carnage - how difficult is 'one vote per team' to understand?
But no - each vote 6 or 7 hands per table went up!!

One rule was introduced reading (something like) - "Non-playing thrower should stand well away from the oche, not breathing down the other players neck"
Meeting took 3 and a half hours, the men's AGM a week earlier had taken 15 mins!!

Having said that the local ladies numbered some real good markers, and still does to this day.
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

I don`t mean to criticise anyone here so I apologise to anyone who fits the comment I am about to make :)

I have seen some very experienced chalkers who constantly make the same mistake and that is they wait until all 3 darts are in the board before adding them up. Add them up one at a time as the darts land that means you only have one dart, the last one thrown, to add to the score of the first 2 which is already in your head before the thrower retrieves them. I appreciate that sometimes the second dart or third aren`t always totally visible so just leave them until the thrower is finished then move quickly to take a look.

Another thing is that people confuse number patterns with being a good chalker. I doubt anyone who plays or watches darts regularly adds up a treble 20 and two single 20`s... you already know it is 100. I doubt anyone here adds up treble 20, treble 19 and double 12 for a 141 finish, you already know, your eyes automatically switch from treble 20 to treble 19 and then to double 12 without thinking about it and if they miss the treble 19 most automatically know the third dart, more times than not, will go towards the treble 10. These are patterns and require no counting, to be a good chalker you need to get away from `patterns` and add up the darts instead, otherwise when a player is on 141 and hits treble 20, single 7 and asks you what is left you have to take time to calculate it.
Image ImageImage Image