Heard a rumour? - Post it here
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Tony O'Shea Interview - Your Questions Answered

Post by spaceman70 »

Thank you to Tony for taking you time to answer our questions. :D

Mod500 asks
How close were you to joining the PDC in January Tony?

Pretty close, but my sponsor is a big BDO man, he wanted me to stay, plus I still want to win the Lakeside.

Muppeteer asks
what changes are u expecting to see with the new board and what time frame are u expecting for change?

The major change we want is more BDO darts on TV! We know it will take time.

Devosteve asks
Tony you seem to be a player who gets along with both darts orgs, ignoring the politics. Do you believe the 2 orgs will come together as 1 org and do you want the 2 orgs to come together?

Don't think it will ever happen, Barry Hearn has a good youth system going now, I think that was the reason he made the offer a couple of years ago.

Fraz asks
Who has been your toughest opponent down the years?

Without a doubt, Mervyn King, he is always a class player, he never knows when he is beaten, I lost to him in the World Masters and the International Darts League finals.

Glen Durrant asks
Is it true you shed a tear when Glen Durrant was selected for England?

We are pals and I was very very pleased when Glen was picked, I think he should have played 12 months ago and after a great World Masters he is showing what a top player he is!!

Stubby asks
Hi tony, what's been you proudest moment in darts so far?

Representing England was my proudest moment, lifting the World Cup in France in 2003 was very special.

Ozzieb asks
From what you have seen, who is the best exhibition player and why?

Alan Evans was a brilliant exhibition player, he always hit plenty of 180's and bull finishes were his specialty, I was a roady for Alan in the 80,s so I saw him up close.

Trotter asks
how important is walk on music to a player? when you walk on to stage in Wolverhampton say and the music stops and the whole crowd are singing Hey Baby for ages it must really pump you up and want to produce great darts...how do you feel when that happens.

Your question is also the answer mate! It really gives you a buzz and gets the crowd on you're side. Wolves is the perfect example.

Spud180 asks
You and a few others had a lot of bounce outs during the world champs, is anything been done to remedy the blade boards which was used? Or new blade boards, as obviously this is a pretty bad thing for all players. Do players have much input on the boards with winmau?
Will we see in your opinion, more bdo darts on tv, whether terrestrial or espn/sky/eurosport for 2012 or the future. Is this one of major issues the new bdo board are trying to sort out.

I think my points are probably too short, but that's how I like them. The boards are pretty good these days. I think ESPN are the future for the BDO, don't think the BBC have the budget for darts.

Dicie asks
When you hit a blip in form, and that throw of yours (natural flowing) doesn’t seem to be working, if any what changes do you make/adjustments.

When this happens, I usually practice with another set of darts. Well, I am type 2, so it is life style that has caused it, of course, I am trying to cut down on alcohol etc., but I am old school and it's hard to change after 30+ years.

Tristan Asks
Tony, what do you feel is the greatest match you've ever played?
You have been in multiple major finals, for example the International Darts League, World Darts Trophy and the Lakeside. Why do you think the major win has eluded you for so long and do you think a major win's still coming your way

Wasn't the best darts I played, but the Hankey 2009 final was the best. I have lost in 5 major finals, but it never really bothers me, there have been better players than me who never even made big finals, but I still think I have a really big win in me.

Damien Darts asks
Was there ever a time during your career that you had thought about giving it all up because things were not going right for you or if you had any other darts related problems? Nerves, Confidence etc.
And if so what advice would you give to a player to learn how to win?

My health would be the only reason I give up a few beers helps with the nerves and confidence comes good form, but learning how to win, I still don't think I have worked that one out!!

Davcol asks
How does it feel to be one of the most popular dart players in the world and an unlikely sex symbol?

Ha Ha sex symbol! Gill say's you should have gone to Specsavers. I think people realise, I am just an ordinary bloke, who likes a beer and a laugh.

Northern exposure asks
1. How many years were you a green keeper and on how many different courses?
2. What was your handicap when you played the game of golf?

Was at Hazel Grove Golf Club in Stockport for 16 years, was my only club, but a great club, they were very good to me with time off for my tournaments. The lowest handicap I played was 10 in a greenkeeper's competition, but I didn't play to that very well, but once had a hole in one at Houldsworth Golf Club.

Noddy69 asks
Who do you believe is the best player in darts at the moment?
How good do you think Christian kist can become?
Martin Adams v Phil taylor what would the score be ?best of 11 sets

Mr. Taylor is still the boss! Young Adrian Lewis has improved so much over the last couple of years and knows how to win now, but his time to be the boss will come, Adams v Taylor Martin is a world class player, but I think Phil would win 6-3.

Rudy asks
Tony, do you think at this mature point in your career you can still turn the "Silver back" into a "Gold front" by winning a biggie?

As Martin Adams and Phil Taylor have both proved, age is not a problem and I think I am improving with age, I am just a slow learner.

Polarbear70 asks
How important is Holland to you your income these days? You mentioned in an interview a while back it was tapering off. Is that still the case?

Holland has been quiet for a few years now, maybe with Kist's win at Lakeside things may pick up again.

The crusader asks
Hi Tony, you seem to have a very natural throw so do you do much practise? If so what and how often?

It's just the way I throw, I didn't knowingly copy anybody, but a lot of people like it to Leighton Rees, which is a huge compliment.

Hangthedj asks
Do you think Wolfie was correct in accepting a position on the new BDO Board whilst still being an active player?

It must be very difficult for him trying to do both, but having a player on the board should help all players, whether it affects his form time will tell.

Billyd asks
I met you at the Circus Tavern late last year, when you played Wayne Mardle, you are a top bloke! (I was wearing a Mardle shirt if you can remember :-p)
Obviously at some point, all great careers come to an end; do you have a set year/time you plan to "hang 'em up"? And will you give the PDC a crack before you do so?

I am going to play for as long as possible, would be nice if there was a proper senior tour by the time I finish and before I hang em up, would love to sample the atmosphere at Blackpool and the Premier League!! You never know. Cup Singles in America.

Dondo asks
1) You seem one of the most relaxed players to watch i.e. nothing seems to phase/annoy you. Do you not get annoyed when playing
2) What's your favourite venue to play at

Very rarely, I enjoy the big crowds, it's just that one voice that can get to you sometimes. I love playing at the Lakeside, with the history etc., but for me the civic at Wolverhampton take the beating.
The Crusader
International

Re: Tony O'Shea Interview - Your Questions Answered

Post by The Crusader »

Superb and good that Tony didn't duck answering the big questions.
Thinking of one.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

i don't think it would be possible for ANYBODY to dislike Tony O'Shea would it ?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

trotter wrote:i don't think it would be possible for ANYBODY to dislike Tony O'Shea would it ?
Fandarts doesn't like him.
Big Jock Knew
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Some very good answers in there and as another poster already stated, no biggies swerved.

Sets the tone with his first answer.

Nicest man in darts for sure.
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Absolutely love the bloke! As Trotter said, its impossible for someone to dislike him!
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Great interview with some interesting points. best venue: Playing in the GSOD at Wolves! Good honest answers, not playing any politics. Would love to see him at Blackpool, and as he says: who knows, he might one day come over. Great attitude to both codes, positive about both.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Dan1987
Pub Champion

Post by Dan1987 »

As others have said, good honest answers, didnt duck any questions.

Never got a bad thing to say it seems, would love to see him in the PDC

Hope he wins a biggie either way, top bloke!
noddy69
Superleague Player

Post by noddy69 »

Good interview from tony though he never did answer the question on Kist....2 outta 3 aint bad mind you.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

seems my questions were not asked...............

good interview, but why ask members to contribute questions if the get ignored or not even asked
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Justin Credible wrote:seems my questions were not asked...............

good interview, but why ask members to contribute questions if the get ignored or not even asked
Maybe it wasn't a very good question or maybe it was similar to another asked. What was it?
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

spaceman70 wrote:

Maybe it wasn't a very good question or maybe it was similar to another asked. What was it?
its in the ask tony a question thread...................where else would it be :D
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Justin Credible wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

its in the ask tony a question thread...................where else would it be :D
I asked what it was not where it was. :D
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Justin Credible wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

Your question was answered. Albeit in reply to someone that was not you. I imagine said person is glad of the fact he is not you ;) ;)
fandarts
County Player

Post by fandarts »

mod500 wrote:Some very good answers in there and as another poster already stated, no biggies swerved.

except the question about him hustling harms in the lakeside semi!

Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

fandarts wrote:
mod500 wrote:Some very good answers in there and as another poster already stated, no biggies swerved.

except the question about him hustling harms in the lakeside semi!

maybe someone else asked it for you :D
fandarts
County Player

Post by fandarts »

yeah, the invisible man
The Crusader
International

Post by The Crusader »

FFS, the forum gets an interview with a well known player and the answers shown above were given, it was stated in the original thread that only certain questions would be asked which in my opinion is correct as to not offend the player etc etc. We should be gratefull that TSOD sorted this and thank Tony for agree not moaning about which one's were used if that continues they may struggle to get other's to do a Q&A thing.

Once again cheers TSOD and Tony.
Thinking of one.
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

Great interview. As said, no ducking of answers, and all seems to be very honest and backs up how genuine Tony is. My favourite BDO player, along with Martin Phillips.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

The Crusader wrote:FFS, the forum gets an interview with a well known player and the answers shown above were given, it was stated in the original thread that only certain questions would be asked which in my opinion is correct as to not offend the player etc etc. We should be gratefull that TSOD sorted this and thank Tony for agree not moaning about which one's were used if that continues they may struggle to get other's to do a Q&A thing.

Once again cheers TSOD and Tony.
£10 in the post mate. :D