McCoys Premier League Darts - Week 14 Discussion

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

McCoys Premier League Darts - Week 14 Discussion

Post by spaceman70 »

FIVE players will battle for the final two places in the McCoy's Premier League Darts Play-Offs on Thursday as Newcastle's Metro Radio Arena hosts the final league night of the tournament.

Newcastle will host the climax of the 14 weekly rounds, which have been played throughout the UK and Ireland since February, with the final two places in the semi-finals alongside Phil Taylor and Simon Whitlock at The O2 on offer.

The tightest-ever Play-Off race sees World Champion Adrian Lewis, 2009 Premier League winner James Wade, Dutch favourite Raymond van Barneveld and this year's two newcomers Kevin Painter and Andy Hamilton all still in contention to reach next week's semi-finals.

Lewis knows that a win from his clash with Whitlock would guarantee him a Play-Off place, and Wade faces van Barneveld in another key contest, while the winner of the game between Painter and Hamilton could also sneak into the top four.

"I love pressure and I've always said that I'm a pressure player, so I've a chance to prove that now on Thursday," said Lewis, whose defeat to Painter in Birmingham last week threw the Play-Off race wide open.

"In the last five or six weeks I've beaten Barney, Taylor and Wade, and then I drew with Gary Anderson and lost to Kevin.

"It's been the best Premier League ever and if I don't qualify then it's down to me - but if I can beat Simon this week then I deserve to be in the top four."

Van Barneveld's game with Wade is set to be the night's crucial fixture, with the Dutchman knowing that he is likely to need a victory to win a Play-Off spot.

"It is exciting and I'll be giving it my very best," said van Barneveld. "I'm still in the competition but the leg difference could be important and I'm on -11, compared to -6 for James.

"It's not always easy to play James. He's always good against me and I've got my hands full."

Wade may only need a draw to win his semi-final place, depending on other results, but said: "I don't want to be relying on anybody else, and my aim's to beat Raymond to make sure I'm in the top four.

"It's exciting that everything we've played for in the last three months is coming down to the final league game, and I'm looking forward to playing Raymond."

Painter and Hamilton have both enjoyed strong debut seasons in the Premier League, and the winner of their game in Newcastle could also finish in the top four.

"I need the results to go with me, but if I win in Newcastle then we'll see what happens," said Painter. "I'm loving being in the Premier League and it's an unbelievable experience, and like Andy I'll fight right to the end.

"My form's been good over the last four or five weeks but I think I've left it a bit late. If I'd been in this form a bit earlier in the Premier League I might have been in a better position, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed."

Hamilton picked up an 8-4 win over Whitlock in Birmingham to keep his Play-Off hopes alive, and admitted: "I did my bit last week but both Kevin and I know it's out of our hands.

"I'll keep fighting for every leg, like I've done throughout the season, and we're fighting not just for a Play-Off place but also for positions because neither one of us wants to be remembered for finishing bottom."

That game's loser would stand an outside chance of being relegated to the foot of the table should Gary Anderson, the reigning champion, defeat league leader Phil Taylor in the final game of the evening in Newcastle.

Anderson slipped to the foot of the table following a five-game losing run in the middle of the season, and three draws in his last four matches have not been enough to keep alive his hopes of retaining the title.

"It's obviously disappointing for me that I can't reach the Play-Offs and I want to finish with a win in Newcastle," said Anderson.

"I know how tough it will be playing Phil because he's had a superb year, but my form has been coming back slowly and there have been some good signs in the last couple of weeks."

Taylor has dropped only three points throughout his 13 games so far - all to Lewis - and averaged 116 in defeating Wade 8-1 in Birmingham a week ago.

"I won't be relaxing on Thursday and I want to go into the Play-Offs with another good performance under my belt," said Taylor.

"You can't relax because players breed on confidence, so if you go up there and lose they'll be confident that they'd going to beat you the next time that you play.

"I'm focusing on getting myself right for the Play-Offs and I'm excited about playing Gary because, regardless of his league position, he's a class player."
crazydarter
Pub Champion

Re: McCoys Premier League Darts - Week 14 Discussion

Post by crazydarter »

good luck 2 all 5 players.....roll on 7pm :D
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

Looking forward to tonight - I can't remember previous years last night - but with 5 in the mix this feels like one of the most interesting nights of Premier League darts in a while.
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
GRAYISALEGEND
County Player

Post by GRAYISALEGEND »

Im out tonight refereeing, so have booked half a day off work tomorrow mornng to watch on Sky Repeat at 8am not kowing the results!

COME ON BARNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

If Lewis wins this game I fancy him to beat Taylor in the final.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Strong win for Simon! :DDDD:
Last edited by slymaster on Thu May 10, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

Bye Bye Adie.Down to 4

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Oh dear oh dear, he let a good lead go there, far play to Whitlock for digging in though.
Wyn
Pub Champion

Post by Wyn »

Well done Whitlock !
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

What was the score from Adie Whitlock?
ub40fan
Pub Champion

Post by ub40fan »

8-6 whitlock
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

polarbear70 wrote:What was the score from Adie Whitlock?
Whitlock won 8-6 after being 5-2 down.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Congrats to Mr Hamilton! Great run to qualify for the final 4!! :WWWW: :WWWW:
Rave
Superleague Player

Post by Rave »

GRAYISALEGEND wrote:Im out tonight refereeing, so have booked half a day off work tomorrow mornng to watch on Sky Repeat at 8am not kowing the results!

COME ON BARNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What about tonight at 1:30
The Cat
International

Post by The Cat »

Adie is out then!
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

The Cat wrote:Adie is out then!
Sky will not be happy
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Kevlar
Brass Darts

Post by Kevlar »

Sky won't be happy when Barney goes next
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

nikkiboy wrote:
The Cat wrote:Adie is out then!
Sky will not be happy
They'll be happy enough, overall viewing figures up across the board this year on last. :)
Kevlar
Brass Darts

Post by Kevlar »

Get in Wadey!!!
Rave
Superleague Player

Post by Rave »

YES

Well done to the top 4

:UK :Aus :UK :UK