Keeping Stats of Games Marked

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Deleted User

Re: Keeping Stats of Games Marked

Post by Deleted User »

Adie wrote:Most memorable game Mervyn King vs Prakash Jiwa
That was my most memorable game too - just you were marking it! :DDD: :DDD: Good old Merv!
I was by the railings and he came barrelling past me with a face like thunder!!
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Now up to 1001 legs from 15 events.
Most in one day = 111, Fewest = 20 (floating)
Nine-darters = 0 - but MvG wired D12 for one in Barnsley on 16/9/2012
crispy1978
County Player

Post by crispy1978 »

See below for mine. My highest ranked player not marked has moved from the World number 1 to the World number 2!!
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Missing 8 of the top 32 notably Wade, Newton and Chisnall (although I have played him at an exbo!).

Added Whitlock and Dolan as first timers in Barnsley :-)

I notice in Slymasters's thread on "Both players with averages over 100" in the 'Others' section I've marked 2 of them! Hamilton v MvG (ProTour Semi) and this weekend's first Taylor v Thornton semi.

Privileged!
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Now up to 1538 legs from 21 events.
Most in one day = 123 (Q-School Sunday), Fewest = 20 - Derby 2011 (floating)
Nine-darters = ONE - Kevin McDine, Q-School 21/1/13 (also MvG wired D12 for one in Barnsley on 16/9/2012)

Sorry for the bump. This is where I keep my stats for reference.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

The markers forum is full of incisive stuff like this.
Seeing Gumbo reposting earlier made me remember this shit was here.
TimmyB
County Player

Post by TimmyB »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 am Now up to 1538 legs from 21 events.
Most in one day = 123 (Q-School Sunday), Fewest = 20 - Derby 2011 (floating)
Nine-darters = ONE - Kevin McDine, Q-School 21/1/13 (also MvG wired D12 for one in Barnsley on 16/9/2012)

Sorry for the bump. This is where I keep my stats for reference.
Lovely.
foggy
Superleague Player

Post by foggy »

Surely Mr Andy Walsh must be up there?
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

Jesus look at this post :DDD:
Hungry Coyote wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 am This was my first experience marking on the pro tour and it was as well organised and professional as my old mate Nev had led me to believe. I was slightly apprehensive about being part of the marking team as I hadn’t marked a board at any sort of level for the best part of 15 years. But it was a challenge I was up for.

My first game on Saturday was Paul Nicholson and Johnny Haines. I took up my position at the marking board and felt fine until I had to record the first score. I started to shake and could hardly write down the scores. I truthfully felt more nervous at that point than at any time I’d played this game. And believe me if this tour had been around 25 years ago I’d have been playing in it.

However, after a few legs I calmed down and started to enjoy it. I made a few little errors but managed to correct them before the next throw and everything went ok. Nicholson even thanked me and commented that I did ok. That was a confidence booster for me and basically after that my board went without a hitch and I had a trouble free Saturday. Apart from an aching back, sore feet and a headache from having to concentrate so hard!

Overall I felt the players were respectful and they all offered their hand, win or lose but I had no idea of the troubles that seemed to be going on behind the scenes with the officials.

Having assessed my own performance I felt I was marking the board as a player and not a marker and I needed to change my approach. For example, when the players were throwing their finishing combinations I found I was calculating what was left. This didn’t help me when I had to record what they actually scored. And what I then found I had to do was take away the double they had left themselves with from the score that was on the board leading up to their throw. I was making this far too difficult for myself. I then changed tack and added everything up as a real marker would do. This proved to be the best way forward even though it was an alien concept for someone who’d played the game far more than he’d ever chalked!

Sunday was tougher, much tougher.

I had John Part and Joe Murnan on first game and found they were good to score for. I made one stupid mistake early on when Part went off with 140 and I marked down 461. He had to tell me, which infuriated me but after that I was ok.

Then I found out I had Jelle Klaason on the board and I knew I had my hands full. Wow is this man fast. And not only that he uses 19’s, 18’s and 17’s a lot. He was good to me mind you as he told me quite a few times what he had scored. Up to that game I had prided myself on keeping a neat board but that went to pot as I struggled to keep up with the pace of the game. I found myself willing his opponent Mark Jones to win only to save me from having to mark a second game for the Dutchman but he romped it 6-1. I should be thankful it wasn’t 6-5.

Due the pressure I put myself under I made a few glaring errors in this game. But I managed to correct them in time and I apologised to Klaason as we shook hands. He told me to forget it but I wondered if he would have been as gracious had he lost. My confidence had taken a bit of a knock but I was eager to get the next game started to get myself back on track.

Caven and Tabern were up next for me and it had got to 4-4 with no incident at all when it went pair shaped. Three throws in and Tabern threw a 20, a treble 5 and what I thought another treble 5. I marked 50 off his score which left him on something like 206. Caven then threw 57 and I’d marked it up when Tabern informed me he’d scored 95 on his previous throw. I said I thought he’d hit two treble fives but he insisted it was a treble five and a treble 20. I asked Caven if he’d seen it. Caven said no as he was walking back at the time. I didn’t think for a minute that Tabern would cheat. I’ve never met him before but the times I’d seem him on TV he always gave me the impression he was a nice guy so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I asked him if he was asking me to change the score. He shrugged his shoulders. I asked Caven if he minded if I changed the score, he said he didn’t mind. Then Tabern said leave it as 50. This puzzled me. Either it was 95 or it wasn’t. I figured we’d held the game up far too long at this point so left it at 50. Tabern had a whinge under his breath, which needled me, after all I’d given him the choice to change it and we continued the game. However, this had a big bearing on the match as instead of being on a finish Tabern was back in the 200’s. Cavern, ever the pro took complete control and killed the game off 6-4.

Both players shook my hand but I could tell Tabern was annoyed, and maybe rightfully so, but I could only call it as I saw it and I thought it was two treble fives. Simple as. One of the PDC officials came over, Dave Ahmet would know who he was, he chalked the Huybrechts/Whitlock quarter final, and was very supportive. He told me to forget it and be thankful it happened to two of the nicest guys on the circuit. But it spoilt my day for a while and I couldn't shift it from my mind. I did feel for Tabern. I don’t want to cause any player to miss out on hard earned money. If any of you guys know Tabern then pass on my apologies again.

But I learned. From that moment on I called every single score to each player, not too loud just loud enough for them to correct me if I was wrong.

Then I had Klaason back on in a second round clash with John Part and I started to sweat more than a blind lesbian in a fishmongers! But again things were working out. Klaason was basically telling me what he scored and Part has such a methodical throw I seemed to have all the time in the world. Then Part starts hitting some World Champion type form. He started finding 180’s like crazy. Klaason had no answer and his throwing become more erratic. He started speeding up, yes speeding up! And as his darts were going more awry he ceased telling me what he’d scored and replaced it with some very interesting Anglo Saxon expletives [I wonder where he's picked that up from?]. Needless to say Part walked it and I've nothing against Klaason but a very relieved marker breathed a sigh of relief.

But the highlight of the weekend for me came in the board final when I had the privilege of marking Part and Caven. Both players had a sprinkling of 180’s and it was a pretty even game until it exploded in the sixth leg with Part leading 3-2. The former World Champion went on to hit consecutive 180’s in each of the final three legs to take the match 6-2. Even Caven, who I incidentally found to be a really nice guy, was shocked by Part’s power scoring.

All in all it was an amazing experience and if my work allows me I’d like to be a regular marker on this tour. Because after last weekend, any thoughts I’d harboured about playing this game at the top level again have been well and truly quashed!
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

BlueSpark wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:33 pm Jesus look at this post :DDD:
Hungry Coyote wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:10 am This was my first experience marking on the pro tour and it was as well organised and professional as my old mate Nev had led me to believe. I was slightly apprehensive about being part of the marking team as I hadn’t marked a board at any sort of level for the best part of 15 years. But it was a challenge I was up for.

My first game on Saturday was Paul Nicholson and Johnny Haines. I took up my position at the marking board and felt fine until I had to record the first score. I started to shake and could hardly write down the scores. I truthfully felt more nervous at that point than at any time I’d played this game. And believe me if this tour had been around 25 years ago I’d have been playing in it.

However, after a few legs I calmed down and started to enjoy it. I made a few little errors but managed to correct them before the next throw and everything went ok. Nicholson even thanked me and commented that I did ok. That was a confidence booster for me and basically after that my board went without a hitch and I had a trouble free Saturday. Apart from an aching back, sore feet and a headache from having to concentrate so hard!

Overall I felt the players were respectful and they all offered their hand, win or lose but I had no idea of the troubles that seemed to be going on behind the scenes with the officials.

Having assessed my own performance I felt I was marking the board as a player and not a marker and I needed to change my approach. For example, when the players were throwing their finishing combinations I found I was calculating what was left. This didn’t help me when I had to record what they actually scored. And what I then found I had to do was take away the double they had left themselves with from the score that was on the board leading up to their throw. I was making this far too difficult for myself. I then changed tack and added everything up as a real marker would do. This proved to be the best way forward even though it was an alien concept for someone who’d played the game far more than he’d ever chalked!

Sunday was tougher, much tougher.

I had John Part and Joe Murnan on first game and found they were good to score for. I made one stupid mistake early on when Part went off with 140 and I marked down 461. He had to tell me, which infuriated me but after that I was ok.

Then I found out I had Jelle Klaason on the board and I knew I had my hands full. Wow is this man fast. And not only that he uses 19’s, 18’s and 17’s a lot. He was good to me mind you as he told me quite a few times what he had scored. Up to that game I had prided myself on keeping a neat board but that went to pot as I struggled to keep up with the pace of the game. I found myself willing his opponent Mark Jones to win only to save me from having to mark a second game for the Dutchman but he romped it 6-1. I should be thankful it wasn’t 6-5.

Due the pressure I put myself under I made a few glaring errors in this game. But I managed to correct them in time and I apologised to Klaason as we shook hands. He told me to forget it but I wondered if he would have been as gracious had he lost. My confidence had taken a bit of a knock but I was eager to get the next game started to get myself back on track.

Caven and Tabern were up next for me and it had got to 4-4 with no incident at all when it went pair shaped. Three throws in and Tabern threw a 20, a treble 5 and what I thought another treble 5. I marked 50 off his score which left him on something like 206. Caven then threw 57 and I’d marked it up when Tabern informed me he’d scored 95 on his previous throw. I said I thought he’d hit two treble fives but he insisted it was a treble five and a treble 20. I asked Caven if he’d seen it. Caven said no as he was walking back at the time. I didn’t think for a minute that Tabern would cheat. I’ve never met him before but the times I’d seem him on TV he always gave me the impression he was a nice guy so I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I asked him if he was asking me to change the score. He shrugged his shoulders. I asked Caven if he minded if I changed the score, he said he didn’t mind. Then Tabern said leave it as 50. This puzzled me. Either it was 95 or it wasn’t. I figured we’d held the game up far too long at this point so left it at 50. Tabern had a whinge under his breath, which needled me, after all I’d given him the choice to change it and we continued the game. However, this had a big bearing on the match as instead of being on a finish Tabern was back in the 200’s. Cavern, ever the pro took complete control and killed the game off 6-4.

Both players shook my hand but I could tell Tabern was annoyed, and maybe rightfully so, but I could only call it as I saw it and I thought it was two treble fives. Simple as. One of the PDC officials came over, Dave Ahmet would know who he was, he chalked the Huybrechts/Whitlock quarter final, and was very supportive. He told me to forget it and be thankful it happened to two of the nicest guys on the circuit. But it spoilt my day for a while and I couldn't shift it from my mind. I did feel for Tabern. I don’t want to cause any player to miss out on hard earned money. If any of you guys know Tabern then pass on my apologies again.

But I learned. From that moment on I called every single score to each player, not too loud just loud enough for them to correct me if I was wrong.

Then I had Klaason back on in a second round clash with John Part and I started to sweat more than a blind lesbian in a fishmongers! But again things were working out. Klaason was basically telling me what he scored and Part has such a methodical throw I seemed to have all the time in the world. Then Part starts hitting some World Champion type form. He started finding 180’s like crazy. Klaason had no answer and his throwing become more erratic. He started speeding up, yes speeding up! And as his darts were going more awry he ceased telling me what he’d scored and replaced it with some very interesting Anglo Saxon expletives [I wonder where he's picked that up from?]. Needless to say Part walked it and I've nothing against Klaason but a very relieved marker breathed a sigh of relief.

But the highlight of the weekend for me came in the board final when I had the privilege of marking Part and Caven. Both players had a sprinkling of 180’s and it was a pretty even game until it exploded in the sixth leg with Part leading 3-2. The former World Champion went on to hit consecutive 180’s in each of the final three legs to take the match 6-2. Even Caven, who I incidentally found to be a really nice guy, was shocked by Part’s power scoring.

All in all it was an amazing experience and if my work allows me I’d like to be a regular marker on this tour. Because after last weekend, any thoughts I’d harboured about playing this game at the top level again have been well and truly quashed!
Top man Martin, former Welsh International and county & superleague team mate of mine.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Yes Martin and his young un were good guys.....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Martin is a good lad, More so then Borespark
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
nevil22
Pub Champion

Post by nevil22 »

I grew up with Martin & spent 100’s of hours playing darts with him & his son Mark
Tuppy Glossop
Feather Flights

Post by Tuppy Glossop »

nevil22 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 am I grew up with Martin & spent 100’s of hours playing darts with him & his son Mark
Can I be your friend?
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

nevil22 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 am I grew up with Martin & spent 100’s of hours playing darts with him & his son Mark
Nevil the serial idiot is posting again

Tuppy Glossop
Feather Flights

Post by Tuppy Glossop »

oche balboa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 pm
Can I be your friend?
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Only if you are mates with Ginge

Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Tuppy Glossop wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:02 pm
Can I be your friend?
I thought Plenty Of Fish was your site of choice when looking for new friends, Robson.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Can I be your friend?
Hi Robson

Edit - feck you, Buzz
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

DavidOwen67 wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:33 am
Can I be your friend?
Hi Robson

Edit - feck you, Buzz
:grin: