5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a major.

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Paddy McGinty
International

Re: 5 reasons why the Premier League should be classed a maj

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Col wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
Col wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:Jesus, how can a competition of hand picked personalities ever be described as a major? The majority of players are picked solely because of their popularity with the crowd.
Any competition where a person's personality is more important than their talent is a complete sham in my opinion, I understand why they do it but only an imbecile would ever refer to it as a major.
You can't even describe it as a exhibition neither as these are at least entertaining, with it's farcical format I can safety say that this is definitely one of my least favourite concoctions in the PDC calendar, absolutely meaningless.

paDDDs
What would you class the Zuiderduin and the Proposed BDO WDT as?
Yes I have no time for the Zuidie jolly, another pathetic competition, I don't care what anyone else thinks but Majors should be about the best people in their field competing together.

paDDs :bat:
And the BDO WDT one?
The criteria seems OK to me, the top players are all there with the opportunity for all up and coming players to prove themselves, and possibly break through. Everyone is there on merit, not personality.

Padds :bat:
Everyone is not there on merit. One or two players will be there at the discretion of the event organisers, which makes a mockery of it having points. By all means call it a major, but dont award it points.

Person spends whole year trying to qualify for lakeside and eventually finds out that the player that pips him to the spot done so as he gained points as a wildcard to the WDT. In what world is that fair?
1 or 2 wild cards are acceptable in a field so large, takes in account a player missing part of the season due to illness etc. I see no problem with that.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Utter horseshit.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

I cant remember any wildcard ever being issued to account for a period of illness.
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Col wrote:Utter horseshit.
No, you trying to compare a comp with almost all it's competitors are hand picked to one where 1 or 2 players receive a wild card is utter horseshit.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
No, you trying to compare a comp with almost all it's competitors are hand picked to one where 1 or 2 players receive a wild card is utter horseshit.
One awards points the other doesnt.

Dress it up however you like, it dont wash with me.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Col wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:
One awards points the other doesnt.

Dress it up however you like, it dont wash with me.
The very reason it doesn't award points should give you a little clue as to it's real importance. It's just a cash cow, the sooner you accept that the better.

paDDs :bat:
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Ginge wrote:I cant remember any wildcard ever being issued to account for a period of illness.
No Bradders they play the old couldn't get a visa card!
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

WCDPA wrote:
Ginge wrote:I cant remember any wildcard ever being issued to account for a period of illness.
Do you think its right to offer points to a comp where wildcards are entered in the competition Paul?
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Col wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Do you think its right to offer points to a comp where wildcards are entered in the competition Paul?
Paul?
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Col wrote:
Col wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Paul?
Yes I do actually if everyone has a chance to enter it, the Blackpool event is completely different to ZM , if you are not seeded or recieve a wildcard you can still enter WDT !
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

WCDPA wrote:
Col wrote:
Col wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Paul?
Yes I do actually if everyone has a chance to enter it, the Blackpool event is completely different to ZM , if you are not seeded or recieve a wildcard you can still enter WDT !
So why not just let the wildcard enter the qualifiers and make it a level playing field for all?, explain that to me please.

I understand why they would want wildcards, to sell tickets and increase the profile. Rest assured they wont be giving a card to Jimmy Smith from Buncles though, but they could well rob him of a space at Lakeside.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

devosteve wrote:Thought I would 'bump' this for JC's sake. he still holds the mistaken view that the Pl is not a major. Remember the 5 reasons:

1. The PDC have declared it to be a major. isn't it their right to decide which PDC events come under this name?

2. It has the LARGEST attendence figures for any event including the WC. Forget the 'quality' of fans, the packed out venues with record crowds must play a part in how we value an event?

3. It has one of the HIGHEST payouts in prize money (2nd after the worlds?). The amount of payout does indicate how an event is ranked, that's why both WC's have the highest rewards.

4. It has the 2nd MOST evenings on TV (just beaten by Ally Pally?). 15 (is it now 16) sessions live on the tele must count for something? great viewing figures as well.

5. Lastly: it is the most DIFFICULT event to qualify for.

Most folks miss out on point 5, they get distracted by the wildcards. You have to get into the top 4 to qualify: no other event has such a high criteria for automayic qualification. This is why Wade has missed out.
Yes STILL, unlike some people i dont change my opinion depending on who wins it.
I suggest you read my first post in this thread

Simply throwing a wad of money into something and hand picking selected players based solely on favoritism while omitting players capable of winning it , does not make it a major.

The number of people on here that buys every single thing the PDC sell is amazing
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I thought I'd better check the PDC rankings before I make this comment, because the way folks are getting upset and the comments made about how this comp isn't a major because it is based on popularity, walk ons and 'characters', I wanted to be sure.

9 out of the 10 folks in the PL are in the top 10 rankings! Only 1 has missed out to be replaced by the number 18. Not entirely a random selection based on crowd favourites is it.

The world numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 18 are in this. pretty good looking 'exbo' if you ask me.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

how can a comp of ten selected favorites be classed as a major when a previous winner and player capable of winning it is omitted ?

This is not the first year either before you claim i am only saying this cos wade aint in.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Justin Credible wrote:how can a comp of ten selected favorites be classed as a major when a previous winner and player capable of winning it is omitted ?

This is not the first year either before you claim i am only saying this cos wade aint in.
Its not up to you or I to decide whether its a major. We can have our opinions but the PDC record books state this is a Major. So they have every right to call James a 7 times major winner.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Col wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:how can a comp of ten selected favorites be classed as a major when a previous winner and player capable of winning it is omitted ?

Its not up to you or I to decide whether its a major. We can have our opinions but the PDC record books state this is a Major. So they have every right to call James a 7 times major winner.

except he aint won 7 majors, he won top comps of which some would be classed as majors.

but no surprise as usual you would think that whatever the pdc say must be true........
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Justin Credible wrote:
Col wrote:

except he aint won 7 majors, he won top comps of which some would be classed as majors.

but no surprise as usual you would think that whatever the pdc say must be true........

In your opinion JC, which is not the rule nor the law.

This misguided belief of yours that I think whatever the PDC say is amusing given my comments in the past two days.
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

iz dat roight ?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

But you are focusing on the one who isn't in rather than the 10 who are in. 9 out of 10 of the top ranked players plus a good player like Ando. It's an extremely strong line up. The players are up against the top players of the PDC (minus Wade) in a league format.

It's not like they have Hankey, Mardle, Manley and Nicholson in because they are 'characters'.

Understand the objections to it being a major (the PDC are always saying the PL is a show to be honest) but it's far more than a glorified Exbo.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
irishdartsfan
Steady Sixties

Post by irishdartsfan »

if it aint ranked , it aint a major , simples