Bill Lennard

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Booji Boy
International

Bill Lennard

Post by Booji Boy »

How good was he. Heard someone talking about him tonight and it seemed he was a brilliant player. I had never heard of him until tonight,
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Re: Bill Lennard

Post by Lee Taylor »

Bristow speaks very highly of Billy Leonard.

He was around just as the game went big in the late 70's.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

trotter
International

Post by trotter »

He had a great reputation locally and everybody speaks highly of him...unfortunately his best darts were before the big TV boom of the late 70's....I saw him play on the TV at Jollees and other events but I am reliably informed he was better than he showed in those events...

He used to have a darts shop in Eccles near Manchester , called Bill Lennard Darts funnily enough ...a little place selling darts stuff and trophies and I went in there occasionally...I don't think it's there now though , although I haven't been in that area for about 20 years.
TheFlash
Superleague Player

Bill Lennard

Post by TheFlash »

trotter wrote:He had a great reputation locally and everybody speaks highly of him...unfortunately his best darts were before the big TV boom of the late 70's....I saw him play on the TV at Jollees and other events but I am reliably informed he was better than he showed in those events...

He used to have a darts shop in Eccles near Manchester , called Bill Lennard Darts funnily enough ...a little place selling darts stuff and trophies and I went in there occasionally...I don't think it's there now though , although I haven't been in that area for about 20 years.
Sounds like a bottler who couldn't play in front of the cameras.
Member of the Rune David fan club

Ex-president of the Matt Clarke Fanclub
mc1958
Superleague Player

Post by mc1958 »

Great player back in the 70's - his biggest moment was probably winning the News Of The World title in 1976 beating Leighton Rees

ChunkIOW
Pub Champion

Post by ChunkIOW »

FlashDarts wrote:
trotter wrote:He had a great reputation locally and everybody speaks highly of him...unfortunately his best darts were before the big TV boom of the late 70's....I saw him play on the TV at Jollees and other events but I am reliably informed he was better than he showed in those events...

Sounds like a bottler who couldn't play in front of the cameras.
Come on Flash, how many times have you bottled it in a big game over the years, don't say you never have otherwise you'd be playing today in PC2 and getting ready for the premier league on Thursday!
It's better to be lucky than good!
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

GtotheF
International

Post by GtotheF »

If you won the NotW any year chances are could play a bit.
“In every chalker’s life, a mistake is made that defines who you are and if you can handle your shandies” OzzieB May 2011.

Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

I played Billy Lennard in a 1001 exhibition in the late 70's. It was a double header evening with Tony Ridler. I was a young up and coming player at the time but managed to beat him after he'd wasted a shed load of darts at a double. Later in the evening he sat with me and we chatted darts for quite a while. I only met him the once but I know a top bloke when I meet one. And to answer an earlier quote from someone, you don't win the NOW if you're a bottler!
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

When can we expect Ecky Thump to come along and claim he was a better player than Phil Taylor is? :fishing :fishing
Big Jock Knew
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Hungry Coyote wrote:I played Billy Lennard in a 1001 exhibition in the late 70's. It was a double header evening with Tony Ridler. I was a young up and coming player at the time but managed to beat him after he'd wasted a shed load of darts at a double. Later in the evening he sat with me and we chatted darts for quite a while. I only met him the once but I know a top bloke when I meet one. And to answer an earlier quote from someone, you don't win the NOW if you're a bottler!

I had also the pleasure of meeting Billy a few times,and as coyote says top man,sadly fans of today may lose out on that one to one chit chat with their favourite players,as the size of the sport starts to alienate the fan.
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Welsh Wayne
County Player

Post by Welsh Wayne »

Justin Credible wrote:Image

Crickey where did you get that JC Alan Evans had a similar cover.
Like being a twattt ?? So why no Twattt me, I'm on twattter so just Twatttt me on @Welsh_Wayne
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Welsh Wayne wrote:I had also the pleasure of meeting Billy a few times,and as coyote says top man,sadly fans of today may lose out on that one to one chit chat with their favourite players,as the size of the sport starts to alienate the fan.
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
Justin Credible
On The Naughty Step

Post by Justin Credible »

Welsh Wayne wrote:

from my site in the retro section, there are around 230 covers of darts world.
There are hundreds of other magazine covers, and also retro old pics including this one of evans,, am sure there are a couple of others as well

Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

Ginge wrote:When can we expect Ecky Thump to come along and claim he was a better player than Phil Taylor is? :fishing :fishing
:WWWW: Not this time Ginge :showbum: :showbum:
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

Welsh Wayne wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:Image

He's on the front of that issue, but there isn't an article on him within the issue. :?
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

I have hundreds of Darts Worlds in the loft, used to love it when it dropped through the letterbox.
Hungry Coyote
Pub Champion

Post by Hungry Coyote »

I penned the 'Follow the Dragon' Welsh column in Darts World for many years during the late 80's early 90's.Tony Wood was editor at the time. I hand wrote everything. I must have been mad!!
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Heres a few old pics from exbhos that were carried out in my home town a long time ago.