Welsh open 2014

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
WCDPA
International

Re: Welsh open 2014

Post by WCDPA »

Think it will change cupcake! Heard even people in Afghanistan and Iraq picked up WDT ;)
I suppose the proof of the pudding is if Eurosport come back for more, if the product works for them and is affordable they will be back.
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

WCDPA wrote:
Ginge wrote:
The Jolly Man wrote:
WCDPA wrote:Just seen that AB the guy involved with eurosport production said 7miliion people worldwide saw this programme ( only quoting )
Editing a news highlight programme as well, they are looking forward to the challenge of 1200 plus singles entries in a day , to be completed by 8pm .
Deta , Ana and the seeded ladies don't even start until 3pm , ladies have 230+ entries.
If there 7 million viewers fantastic but really cant see it beating the tour de france:

"Eurosport enjoyed a +12.5% increase in average audience figures for its live coverage of the Tour de France this year compared to the 2012 race. Winner Chris Froome's victory on Mount Ventoux produced the channel’s highest live average audience peak with 4.5 million viewers. The Eurosport Group's comprehensive coverage of the 100th edition of the Tour de France was watched by 53 million different European viewers, the best audience reach for the event since 2009".

That 4.5million, admitedally at a worse time of day but still the top stage of the event which has
been highly publicised. Something that has 100years of history and a huge sport across Europe. I really cant see an un advertised darts event, without the history of the tour de france hitting 7 million viewers.
No doubt Paul was talking about the millions of people in Asia who will have stayed up past 3am to watch this fantastic event live :IIII: :IIII: :IIII:

Paul was reporting what the production people said, and although they won't know for sure for a week they are saying it will be near to that figure.
Think they need to stop the comms in it's present form , the atmosphere was amazing at venue , and was absolutely packed , extra tables brought in biggest crowd I've seen at BDO darts and that includes lakeside.
What were those 'Springy' darts all about, that Deta was using?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

WCDPA wrote: I suppose the proof of the pudding is if Eurosport come back for more, if the product works for them and is affordable they will be back.
Anything that they dont have to pay to broadcast is going to be "affordable", darling :D
Big Jock Knew
avalon
County Player

Post by avalon »

I would be amazed if it got more than a 100 or 2 viewers in Germany. First it was on a pay channel, I can`t think of anyone I know in Germany that pays for Eurosport 2, second and probably more important it clashed with the cup final between Bayern and Dortmund which was on a free channel
Image ImageImage Image
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

WCDPA wrote:, extra tables brought in biggest crowd I've seen at BDO darts and that includes lakeside.
Was it possible to turn up on the day as a spectator only ?

And if so how much was it to just watch the darts ?

Also in darting audience terms where does the BDO hold any tournaments that could hold a bigger paying crowd than Lakeside ? That Dutch Open Venue looked like it could hold a few as it speared to be standing only on the TV or was this just a trick of the cameraphone work ?
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Bag Carrier wrote:How does number 1 seed play number 10 seed in the last 8.
Did they use the rankings as of the entry deadline? Only thing I can imagine to explain why the seedings don't match last week's rankings.
slymaster
International

Post by slymaster »

Just had the time to watch the finals. Well -a win is a win (long day)!

Congrats to Anastasia and Mr. Adams!! :DDDD: :DDDD:

Anastasia 5-2 Deta
80.26 vs 74.04
5/11 vs 2/12

Martin Adams 6-2 Gary Robson
84.44 vs 82.91
6/23 vs 2/12

Adams wins his 30th BDO ranking event/first Welsh Open! :CCCCC:
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Gary left his home at 5am to go to Prestatyn!
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Anastasia spoke to her friends and parents today and they seen it on Eurosport in Russia so she is happy her own country and family and friends get to watch it, might ou be a little thing for some but it's big for others when people can see it.
JFT97
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Bag Carrier wrote:Anastasia spoke to her friends and parents today and they seen it on Eurosport in Russia so she is happy her own country and family and friends get to watch it, might ou be a little thing for some but it's big for others when people can see it.
I watched the russian version for a bit. Couldn't find the right stream.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Paul was reporting what the production people said, and although they won't know for sure for a week they are saying it will be near to that figure.
Think they need to stop the comms in it's present form , the atmosphere was amazing at venue , and was absolutely packed , extra tables brought in biggest crowd I've seen at BDO darts and that includes lakeside.[/quote]

What were those 'Springy' darts all about, that Deta was using?[/quote]

Those "Springy" darts are all about the points , they are not spring loaded but Deta's sponsor One80 darts had them made in their Chinese factory.
The points are thin and from a composite of metals that you can bend which gives them the quivers!
The idea is if the points hit the barrel of another dart rather than deflect it bends and the dart runs along the barrel.
Deta got the darts the day before the Yorkshire classic since that day her worst performance has been semi final at the German open and Meunsterland classic her other results have been 5 tournament wins and final of welsh open .
Sundays result of losing finalist was IMO her best result! at one stage Saturday morning wasn't going to go to wales due to neck/shoulder issues ! Heat pads, voltarol , and painkillers enabled her to play and missed 10 darts at doubles against Anastasia .
As long as she creates chances and loses I don't mind it's when she doesn't create chances it's time to pack up.

Seemingly Eurosport highly delighted with welsh open , especially after viewing you tube which was shown to them what the atmosphere was like at venue! Think they realize the folly of using comms from outside studio.
Also would be cheaper from venue itself.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

At the end of the day Eurosport is available in over 50 countries.
Might not be the channel with the biggest viewing figures in general but that is a wide audience for darts.
Roderick Slyme
The Ton Club

Post by Roderick Slyme »

The Crusader wrote:
Roderick Slyme wrote:I really do like all these crowd shots. I have yet to see a single person who isn't obese or has a visage which puts one in mind of chronic inbreeding.

At least you get a few dolly birds at PDC events.
You just insulted me there thanks, spotted many friends and me sis with her hubby.

Sent from my PMP3970B using Tapatalk
Not necessarily, I might have been outside having a bifter when your sister was on.
checkmate
County Player

Post by checkmate »

WCDPA wrote:Paul was reporting what the production people said, and although they won't know for sure for a week they are saying it will be near to that figure.
Think they need to stop the comms in it's present form , the atmosphere was amazing at venue , and was absolutely packed , extra tables brought in biggest crowd I've seen at BDO darts and that includes lakeside.
What were those 'Springy' darts all about, that Deta was using?[/quote]

Those "Springy" darts are all about the points , they are not spring loaded but Deta's sponsor One80 darts had them made in their Chinese factory.
The points are thin and from a composite of metals that you can bend which gives them the quivers!
The idea is if the points hit the barrel of another dart rather than deflect it bends and the dart runs along the barrel.
Deta got the darts the day before the Yorkshire classic since that day her worst performance has been semi final at the German open and Meunsterland classic her other results have been 5 tournament wins and final of welsh open .
Sundays result of losing finalist was IMO her best result! at one stage Saturday morning wasn't going to go to wales due to neck/shoulder issues ! Heat pads, voltarol , and painkillers enabled her to play and missed 10 darts at doubles against Anastasia .
As long as she creates chances and loses I don't mind it's when she doesn't create chances it's time to pack up.

Seemingly Eurosport highly delighted with welsh open , especially after viewing you tube which was shown to them what the atmosphere was like at venue! Think they realize the folly of using comms from outside studio.
Also would be cheaper from venue itself.[/quote]

Paul you speak about the amazing crowd , how many people outwith the thousand odd darts players and there families who were there for the darts actually paid in to watch the darts ? you will only know if the general public will pay to watch bdo darts when it is played in a stand alone venue without a competition attached
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Actually there was no charge for nonresidents either players or fans, there was I would say 20% more people than at other welsh opens.
As long as tv are interested and we can afford it, in time the events will grow and maybe even make a healthy profit. In the meantime will give exposure to the players which can't be a bad thing for them.
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

It looked crap..it looked dated and the sound mix was appalling for a so called major televised event...sorry if that's not the " party line" but it's true and the coverage will do nothing to attract general sport fans , only die hards who seemingly put up with anything these days because it's , hey ho darts on TV
Where have the "proper " productions gone...the early WDT and IDL events were impressive looking events..proper non dated coverage offering good exposure and good prize money...the BDO is light years behind where it was even then...and people were still moaning then !
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

trotter wrote:It looked crap..it looked dated and the sound mix was appalling for a so called major televised event...sorry if that's not the " party line" but it's true and the coverage will do nothing to attract general sport fans , only die hards who seemingly put up with anything these days because it's , hey ho darts on TV
Where have the "proper " productions gone...the early WDT and IDL events were impressive looking events..proper non dated coverage offering good exposure and good prize money...the BDO is light years behind where it was even then...and people were still moaning then !
Sure I posted somewhere something similar along the lines of IDL and WDT
JFT97
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

Bag Carrier wrote:
trotter wrote:It looked crap..it looked dated and the sound mix was appalling for a so called major televised event...sorry if that's not the " party line" but it's true and the coverage will do nothing to attract general sport fans , only die hards who seemingly put up with anything these days because it's , hey ho darts on TV
Sure I posted somewhere something similar along the lines of IDL and WDT

Not seen that , but was talking about things today with a few people and the IDL and WDT were mentioned and we all agreed they were good events and the coverage looked good as well...it's a shame that events like those were lost because yesterday's coverage was a pale shadow of those days
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

I wouldn't think the Eurosport 2 viewers are too esoteric to care for that detail.

Darts on TV is good! There is always room for improvement though. ;)
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

ChrisW wrote:At the end of the day Eurosport is available in over 50 countries.
Might not be the channel with the biggest viewing figures in general but that is a wide audience for darts.
In most of those countries Eurosport 2's potential audience is vastly lower than that of the main channel, though.