Grand slam of darts 2015

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
devosteve
International

Re: Grand slam of darts 2015

Post by devosteve »

Speaking of Adams. When he reuses to accept GSOD invites (I know those invites no longer given to him) I hope folks, after all the talk o principles etc, realise that Adams is not only denying himself the opportunity to play at the GSOD but he is also reducing the number of BDO players by one (if he reaches lakeside final of course).
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

devosteve wrote:Speaking of Adams. When he reuses to accept GSOD invites (I know those invites no longer given to him) I hope folks, after all the talk o principles etc, realise that Adams is not only denying himself the opportunity to play at the GSOD but he is also reducing the number of BDO players by one (if he reaches lakeside final of course).
He is not denying himself or anyone of an opportunity. He is making a decision based on his own principles. Which I have no problem with at all.

Its a strange way to have a dig at someone Devo.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:
devosteve wrote:Speaking of Adams. When he reuses to accept GSOD invites (I know those invites no longer given to him) I hope folks, after all the talk o principles etc, realise that Adams is not only denying himself the opportunity to play at the GSOD but he is also reducing the number of BDO players by one (if he reaches lakeside final of course).
He is not denying himself or anyone of an opportunity. He is making a decision based on his own principles. Which I have no problem with at all.

I think the point Devo is trying to make is that people may moan in 2015 and beyond that there are barely any BDO representatives, but this may be down to one man getting in a qualifying position who will never play in the event.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

and to reply to paddy's comment about the PDC needing new stars to replace the fading existing ones, we need to note that the PDC are no longer JUST dependant on the BDO (as they once were) to have new talent.

There is something called the challenger tour. A youth tour. And also increased and developing relationships with other countries.

the nature of the GSOD has changed because the darting world has changed. Wouldn't be surprised to see a winner of a PDC affiliated event, say, in Asia having a place in the future.
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

Can't really blame Adams for that, It's just an unfortunate outcome if he ever got to the final of Lakeside again.

He can't be expected to lose the semi on purpose just so 2 players can play in the GSoD :D
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:

I think the point Devo is trying to make is that people may moan in 2015 and beyond that there are barely any BDO representatives, but this may be down to one man getting in a qualifying position who will never play in the event.
exactly my point. There are 2 automatic GSOD invites to BDO players. Just highlighting that if Adams turns down a slot, one result is that there would now only 1 being offered
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

devosteve wrote:and to reply to paddy's comment about the PDC needing new stars to replace the fading existing ones, we need to note that the PDC are no longer JUST dependant on the BDO (as they once were) to have new talent.

There is something called the challenger tour. A youth tour. And also increased and developing relationships with other countries.

the nature of the GSOD has changed because the darting world has changed. Wouldn't be surprised to see a winner of a PDC affiliated event, say, in Asia having a place in the future.
How many top 16 players have come from the Challenge and Youth tours to date Devo?
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Stubby wrote:Can't really blame Adams for that, It's just an unfortunate outcome if he ever got to the final of Lakeside again.

He can't be expected to lose the semi on purpose just so 2 players can play in the GSoD :D
Of course you can't blame Adams for putting his own principles above the interests of the BDO (it's good for them to have as many players in the GSOD isn't it), the interests of other players and more importantly the interests of BDO/darts fans. They would love to see Adams at the GSOd, it would make it more interesting but Adams is about Adams imo.

His dealings with his national org, it's leadership and the fact that his national org had there 1st ever TV slot but he didn't want to support it (he is still a massive name to the TV folks) reveals something I think. His choice of course.
Stubby
County Player

Post by Stubby »

devosteve wrote: the nature of the GSOD has changed because the darting world has changed. Wouldn't be surprised to see a winner of a PDC affiliated event, say, in Asia having a place in the future.
The first one had the top South African, and American and Aussie which was good but the quality wasn't there.

If they did that now the quality would be better but would they still take the place of better players?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Paddy McGinty wrote:
devosteve wrote:and to reply to paddy's comment about the PDC needing new stars to replace the fading existing ones, we need to note that the PDC are no longer JUST dependant on the BDO (as they once were) to have new talent.

How many top 16 players have come from the Challenge and Youth tours to date Devo?
We will see in the future.

Now let's look at 'Billy the kid' (Holmes?). Cracking talent. played superb the other week.

Now in the past this is what would could (probably?) have happened; developed within the BDO. Made a breakthrough at lakeside. been given a GSOD invite by reaching his 1st lakeside semi. Likes what the PDC has to offer and make a switch after giving lakeside one more go to become Lakeside champion.

Now this could (probably?) happen: he joins the PDC youth tour and either gets to the youth final and thus is invited to Ally pally and is given a GSOD slot, or he does good there and moves onto the challenger tour and at some point wins a tour card. Thus new talent flows into the PDC not just through 'big name' switchers.

not point scoring Paddy but the darting world has changed. And thus, back to the op, the PDC don't need the GSOD as a 'tempter' for potential switchers as they once clearly did.
Booji Boy
International

Post by Booji Boy »

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:

Thats not Martin Adams fault though is it? Everyone knows he wont play and the reasons why. So saying he is denying himself and others a place at the slam is just a load of nonsense.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Col wrote:
Thats not Martin Adams fault though is it?
Well, it is...
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:

Won't it go to the next in line as you remarked earlier?
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:
Thats not Martin Adams fault though is it?
Well, it is...
Quite right Ginge. He declined TWO invititations to the GSOD and was told, "you've had your chance, you won't get another invite."

Waites did OK out of it. Adams should have gone but it was another of his "noses and faces" moments a la the EDO and he shot himself well and truly on the foot.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

ChrisW wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Col wrote:

Won't it go to the next in line as you remarked earlier?
If Martin Adams is the winner and Player X is the runner up, there is nobody else for it to go "next in line" to. Same for all PDC tourneys, no player outside the finalists is going to get invited prior to the open qualifiers.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

But years ago blokes could pay £400 to join and play tour events and they could draw Phil Taylor

Now they have to pay to enter Q School,
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:But years ago blokes could pay £400 to join and play tour events and they could draw Phil Taylor

Now they have to pay to enter Q School,
Are you on the right thread?
Big Jock Knew
trotter
International

Post by trotter »

If you look down the list of top BDO players now there are none that would create great interest should they switch...none that would be headhunted and none that would create more than a minor ripple on here
That's how things have changed...the PDC have concentrated on their own product..the BDO players know what's on offer and will continue to take it, some with reasonable success, some with not
The Lakeside champion himself still has some clout publicity wise and that player alone would create news on switching like Bunting, but I don't think they would actually be headhunted like in the past
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Id like to see that happen, it will give local tours more cred. The only issue would be the same player qualifying for everything, ie Worlds, GSOD, in Aussies case Sydney Masters. But if GSOD move to a more central part of the season and took tour leaders mid season. It could work. Would be nice having the best from Australia, South Africa, Europe and Scandinavia.
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

Col wrote:BH wont chase any players. He didnt chase Bunting and he was the biggest name in the BDO, Adams aside.
You mean won't chase players anymore.
Arguably Waites and O'Shea have profiles on par with Adams and Bunting.