Daryl Fitton Comments Re Lakeside

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
happyintheuk
The Ton Club

Daryl Fitton Comments Re Lakeside

Post by happyintheuk »

Interesting pre and post match interviews with the Dazzler bemoaning the lack of big tournaments and a little dig re the ticket prices too. Have to say that while I am huge supporter of the BDO he does have a point in that the players only really have the World Championship to aim for and there are no other big tournaments for them. So having thought about what he said -

I was dismayed when I watched the repeat on Eurosport of the Winmau World Masters and the lack of a big crowd and atmosphere. This used to be a huge event with a packed crowd so I was shocked at what I saw.

It's all very well having quite a few open tournaments televised but they do make the BDO an easy target for criticism in that the halls are shabby looking (and when they are not, eg Top of Ghent then they look so sparsely attended), the crowd is made up of the players who don't look overly interested and therefore the atmosphere is almost non-existent. I'm guessing that the Dazzler is hinting that they need tournaments with decent sized "joe public" crowds and then the players would start getting used to playing on a bigger stage, with bigger pressure, resulting in better experience and ability to cope with a bigger occassion.

It is a shame as I think the BDO does a great job at grassroots and bring palyers through, but they are always going to lose those hungry for more because of this lack of "spotlight" events.

Not sure what the solution would be but how about for some of the opens getting the final stages in slightly bigger halls and have tickets open to the public at an affordable price to at least attract a crowd thats a mix of players and others. Six Nations would be a good one for that I reckon.
Paddy McGinty
International

Re: Daryl Fitton Comments Re Lakeside

Post by Paddy McGinty »

They have the "real" Masters to look forward to as well as Lakeside.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Most of the Opens with stage finals already admit audiences for free or a very small price, it's just that nobody's interested in going there most of the time, so you end up with those 99% players + family crowds. I don't think it's possible to change that, to be honest.
Krispy
County Player

Post by Krispy »

I agree when I saw that he seemed very unhappy - for a man who'd just won a game he seemed hardly interested. Just seemed to be having a dig at the current situation. I've not watched all the BDO events this year, but the smaller ones often do appear to be mainly players/friends/family the in crowd, and while they are of course darts fans, are they all buying tickets at full price?
Webmaster and editor/writer of the PDC fansite; Darts, Beers & Cheers!, and Exhibition and Open Tournament database.
Play (terribly) for Stilton Country Club.
Murphio
International

Post by Murphio »

Not enough events on TV.....
Hmm. Sure Ive heard that complaint mentioned somewhere before. Deja vu. When will they ever learn.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

What about the World Trophy? The crowds for that were excellent and a big event live on tv?!
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Paddy McGinty wrote:They have the "real" Masters to look forward to as well as Lakeside.

Not as a Terrestrial TV viewer in the UK anymore they don't.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

I think he has had enough and is off.
spaceman70
Player Sponsor Member
Player Sponsor Member

Post by spaceman70 »

DavidB wrote:What about the World Trophy? The crowds for that were excellent and a big event live on tv?!
Events making a loss don't last.
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

Astonvilla wrote:I think he has had enough and is off.
I don't think he would make an impact in the PDC tbh.
DavidB
International

Post by DavidB »

spaceman70 wrote:
DavidB wrote:What about the World Trophy? The crowds for that were excellent and a big event live on tv?!

On again this year though isn't it???
Ecky Thump
County Player

Post by Ecky Thump »

DavidB wrote:
spaceman70 wrote:

On again this year though isn't it???
well.................... :IIII:
happyintheuk
The Ton Club

Post by happyintheuk »

Zeyes wrote:Most of the Opens with stage finals already admit audiences for free or a very small price, it's just that nobody's interested in going there most of the time, so you end up with those 99% players + family crowds. I don't think it's possible to change that, to be honest.
I didn'tknow that, but is that they just don't try to get more of a crowd in? A little bit of advertising (some posters around town/ad in the local papers) wouldn't go amiss especially for those events that are perceived to be biggies.

They have to find some way of expanding to give the players otherwise you have the whole reason the split came about happening all over again.
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

el_ringo wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:They have the "real" Masters to look forward to as well as Lakeside.

Not as a Terrestrial TV viewer in the UK anymore they don't.
They can still look forward to playing in it.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
TROUBLEAGAIN
Superleague Player

Post by TROUBLEAGAIN »

Motivation or lack of it from Wilson and he can now do what he enjoys practicing.
foggs3355
International

Post by foggs3355 »

things are slightly better than they was with WDT world masters almost shown in full on tv last year it step in right direction

but i do agree with him they need a big event in summer as all there tv event are in 4 moths period then nothing for 8 months if they was bit more spread out more and bdo events can get another event like WDT in summer and with this new finder darts masters start of dec they would have 5 events a year on tv it might keep frew players in bdo
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

foggs3355 wrote:this new finder darts masters start of dec
What, do you expect it to be any different from the Zuiderduin Masters just because it's getting a new title sponsor?
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Dazzler has always stood up and assisted the BDO with ideas of how to move things forward and what is needed as he has been there and done it pretty much over the years.

I guess the becomes a time when you realise when your talking to a brick wall, And unfortunately I think that time has come after having chats with him.

The BDO really should listen to the seasoned players ideas and take them onboard and try and use them, but no they don't.

Be interesting if they attend the PDC dinner as Hearn has said in the papers he invited them.
JFT97
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

Bag Carrier wrote:Dazzler has always stood up and assisted the BDO with ideas of how to move things forward and what is needed as he has been there and done it pretty much over the years.

I guess the becomes a time when you realise when your talking to a brick wall, And unfortunately I think that time has come after having chats with him.

The BDO really should listen to the seasoned players ideas and take them onboard and try and use them, but no they don't.

Be interesting if they attend the PDC dinner as Hearn has said in the papers he invited them.
who's invited? Lakeside qualifiers, top 16, anyone except Wolfie? Are the BDO Events guys at Lakeside this year with anything to say?
Bub
Pub Champion

Post by Bub »

Murphio wrote:Not enough events on TV.....
Hmm. Sure Ive heard that complaint mentioned somewhere before. Deja vu. When will they ever learn.
Lol ! Absolutely correct Murph ! I must be getting old - the circle is almost complete !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk