59%
Don't know or don't care
27%

Total votes: 56

markymark
County Player

Re: Was the WDT 2017 a success?

Post by markymark »

It seemed to get decent numbers on Facebook, so why did they bother with FrontRunner, other than willy waving?
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Re: RE: Re: Was the WDT 2017 a success?

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Ginge wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
ssjsa wrote:For me, given how well the 2016 WDT went, this was a huge backwards step by comparison.
This

This shouldn't have gone ahead, is costing someone a ton (I still think Sportotal are going to get fekked with the bill) and ended in complete farce. Yes its not the BDOs fault the power went out but it came back and Frontrunner didnt bother showing it, Wayne forgot to do the DFW live scoring so the only people that could see it was the people watching the unilad stream and the 10 people left in the building at the end.

And to top it all off they announce (in a response on twitter of all places) that the winner doesn't get a GSOD place any more.

2016 was such a refreshing event and I ended up watching nearly all of it. This weekend was an embarrassment in comparison and will do more harm than good in the long run. What channel is honestly going to pick up the masters when they ask to see the coverage of the last event they showed on TV.
Still don't understand your Sportotal theory. Do they have a spare few thousand pounds lying around?

Wasn't their event to fund and they hardly went all out to promote it to recoup some money. This is all coming out of the BDO cash reserves IMO.

As an aside someone on the Fanatics said that the promotion was poor because the BDO are still in contract with Frank Warren. Haven't a clue how the two are linked even if it was true.
There is no way on this earth the BDO are going to let anyone see this as a loss in their books because if they know that happens its the end for the board, they are going to do everything they can to hide it or let someone else take the blame.

Spototal have to be seen to be doing something, they cant be forcing people to pay 10k for a BDO event or claim to be getting TV deals and sponsorship and then take a backseat when an event like this fails. It depends on how much they have lost I suppose but if its in the small 10s of thousands I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they run this through Sportotal books in exchange for money in the future or percentage of profits in future events. That way the BDO can go to the meetings and say "this did not cost us a penny".

I have heard an alternative and that is they used all the money C4 gave them for lakeside on this, if thats true they want an emergency board meeting and a vote of no confidence asap.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Addicks Fan wrote:
ssjsa wrote:For me, given how well the 2016 WDT went, this was a huge backwards step by comparison.
Such a shame, because the darts was better
Some great matches disappointed with Ladies final after some very good early rounds and a tense Semi with Deta and Ana , Peter Machin showing darts does exist outside Western Europe .
Just wish they have ladies regionals as well and showcase the field outside of those who can afford all the uk and Europe events .
Skewball
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Was the WDT 2017 a success?

Post by Skewball »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
This

This shouldn't have gone ahead, is costing someone a ton (I still think Sportotal are going to get fekked with the bill) and ended in complete farce. Yes its not the BDOs fault the power went out but it came back and Frontrunner didnt bother showing it, Wayne forgot to do the DFW live scoring so the only people that could see it was the people watching the unilad stream and the 10 people left in the building at the end.

And to top it all off they announce (in a response on twitter of all places) that the winner doesn't get a GSOD place any more.

2016 was such a refreshing event and I ended up watching nearly all of it. This weekend was an embarrassment in comparison and will do more harm than good in the long run. What channel is honestly going to pick up the masters when they ask to see the coverage of the last event they showed on TV.
Still don't understand your Sportotal theory. Do they have a spare few thousand pounds lying around?

Wasn't their event to fund and they hardly went all out to promote it to recoup some money. This is all coming out of the BDO cash reserves IMO.

As an aside someone on the Fanatics said that the promotion was poor because the BDO are still in contract with Frank Warren. Haven't a clue how the two are linked even if it was true.
There is no way on this earth the BDO are going to let anyone see this as a loss in their books because if they know that happens its the end for the board, they are going to do everything they can to hide it or let someone else take the blame.

Spototal have to be seen to be doing something, they cant be forcing people to pay 10k for a BDO event or claim to be getting TV deals and sponsorship and then take a backseat when an event like this fails. It depends on how much they have lost I suppose but if its in the small 10s of thousands I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if they run this through Sportotal books in exchange for money in the future or percentage of profits in future events. That way the BDO can go to the meetings and say "this did not cost us a penny".

I have heard an alternative and that is they used all the money C4 gave them for lakeside on this, if thats true they want an emergency board meeting and a vote of no confidence asap.
I really can't see why they would do it. No way. Not after last time with b do events.
Using lakeside money (if they really got a pot of gold from them) is much much more likely.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Was the WDT 2017 a success?

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Skewball wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Ginge wrote:
Zapp Brannigan wrote:
This

I really can't see why they would do it. No way. Not after last time with b do events.
Using lakeside money (if they really got a pot of gold from them) is much much more likely.
Sportotal have to be there for something and like I say there is no way on this earth the BDO will let anyone see this as a loss in their books. Something will have happened if only part of the money (like the TV costs) go through Sportotal.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

They are there to try and get commercial deals and sponsorship. They couldn't on this occasion. Apparently they recommended to cancel.
The best bdo can hope for is to cover some of the looses firing the rest of the year.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Mitchell making pathetic excuses in his local paper yet again. Last time it was the "match wasn't played on a neutral board" excuse....

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/ ... t/?ref=rss
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Ginge wrote:Mitchell making pathetic excuses in his local paper yet again. Last time it was the "match wasn't played on a neutral board" excuse....

Seems fair to me
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:
Ginge wrote:Mitchell making pathetic excuses in his local paper yet again. Last time it was the "match wasn't played on a neutral board" excuse....

Seems fair to me
Mooooooooooo!!
Big Jock Knew
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

Ginge wrote:Nice close result so far. And I even put the "Yes" option first....
Just goes to show the majority on here don't appreciate proper darts......it comes as no surprise to me this forum is tainted with the stench of exhibition darts.....
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

WCDPA wrote:
Addicks Fan wrote:
Such a shame, because the darts was better
Some great matches disappointed with Ladies final after some very good early rounds and a tense Semi with Deta and Ana , Peter Machin showing darts does exist outside Western Europe .
Just wish they have ladies regionals as well and showcase the field outside of those who can afford all the uk and Europe events .
If this tournament was to survive into next year should the BDO not look to combine the two fields? Would certainly provide a lot of extra interest.
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

I thought it was fantastic

but then I started watching it with low expectations

and I wasn't disappointed

;)
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

The Jolly Man wrote:If this tournament was to survive into next year should the BDO not look to combine the two fields? Would certainly provide a lot of extra interest.
How exactly would it do that?
foggy
Superleague Player

Post by foggy »

Did not see any in fact i had no idea it was on until yesterday afternoon, i did also here the coverage was shocking.
ifm
International

Post by ifm »

It depends how you judge success I suppose, from a financial perspective no, from a pure darting perspective (and we are only interested in the darts aren't we?) it was a big success with close exciting games, upsets and the unpredictability making it stand out from the crowd.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"it's the same trolls spouting the same crap every other post.... you have to be some kind of sad act to watch nearly 8 hours of darts a day for 9 days just to post about how crap it is"

Madsocks
Dandy
Steady Sixties

Post by Dandy »

Load of bollix poll result, there shouldn't be more than 5 votes going on active members here.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Dandy wrote:Load of bollix poll result, there shouldn't be more than 5 votes going on active members here.
Back in yer box benny hill :IIII:
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
cobra
Steady Sixties

Post by cobra »

Some good games, shame there was no atmosphere. According to bigworm on real fanatics a couple of days back, poor tickets sales was partially the fault of the 'forums'.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

cobra wrote:Some good games, shame there was no atmosphere. According to bigworm on real fanatics a couple of days back, poor tickets sales was partially the fault of the 'forums'.
Surely the thousands of BDO Fanatics more than made up for Ginge and co
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
cobra wrote:Some good games, shame there was no atmosphere. According to bigworm on real fanatics a couple of days back, poor tickets sales was partially the fault of the 'forums'.
Surely the thousands of BDO Fanatics more than made up for Ginge and co
:D

No no no no me doing my ticket updates put everyone off from going.
Big Jock Knew