WHY?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Knowledge
The Ton Club

WHY?

Post by The Knowledge »

Serious Question folks.

Why have the general public and more so the BDO stalwart fans turned their back on the BDO, their competitions and its players?
You can all have my word now, it's never been our intention to take over the BDO, we have no intention of taking over the BDO,
Ginge
International

Re: RE: WHY?

Post by Ginge »

The Knowledge wrote:Serious Question folks.

Why have the general public and more so the BDO stalwart fans turned their back on the BDO, their competitions and its players?
Is it because Paul Hogan hasn't been invited to the Grand Slam?
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Re: WHY?

Post by ChrisW »

Is it James Wade?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Serious question folks, why is the knowledge the angriest man on forums. :)
Is it
A: He is a tosspot
B: He is a wonker
C: He is one of the above
el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

I don't think the BDO stalwarts have abandoned the BDO

The BDO fan base is people who play darts and there are an immense number of people who play super league or county.

If you had counties folding due to be unable to raise sides then I think you coudl say their support is dying but is any county struggling for a side ?

As for fans who watch its just a case of people only want to see the top end and big names and its a pure fact of life those are now the PDC players.

If you ever had the case where all the top PDC names played county then its certain that county crowds would go back to the point they were in the 70's.

To be fair even the Opens still attract fair sized numbers of players in the UK and i think even if these were 50 quid prize opens the same numbers would still go along cos 95% of people who enter a BDO Open do so without any thought of what they might win.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

ChrisW wrote:Serious question folks, why is the knowledge the angriest man on forums. :)
Is it
A: He is a tosspot
B: He is a wonker
C: He is one of the above
Or even all of the above
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

el_ringo wrote:I don't think the BDO stalwarts have abandoned the BDO

The BDO fan base is people who play darts and there are an immense number of people who play super league or county.

If you had counties folding due to be unable to raise sides then I think you coudl say their support is dying but is any county struggling for a side ?

As for fans who watch its just a case of people only want to see the top end and big names and its a pure fact of life those are now the PDC players.

If you ever had the case where all the top PDC names played county then its certain that county crowds would go back to the point they were in the 70's.

To be fair even the Opens still attract fair sized numbers of players in the UK and i think even if these were 50 quid prize opens the same numbers would still go along cos 95% of people who enter a BDO Open do so without any thought of what they might win.

Some counties are struggling even the mighty Lancashire struggled to get a side for the rearranged game at Devon this weekend , didn't help that they had 46 registered players at Challenge Tour , the only date Devon could accomadate Lancashire for this rearranged game (snow) was a bank holiday that was also CT
Lee Taylor
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Lee Taylor »

Looking at the local County sides in this neck of the woods, I think it’s fair to say County darts no longer carries the interest/kudos that it once did.

When I played it was an absolute honour, and the pride I felt pulling on that County shirt was something words can’t describe.

I think the Challenge Tour and/or local comps seem to be the more attractive draw for up and coming local players these days.

From what I see locally, the same guys are playing County that were playing 20 years ago.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Why are competition entries higher if they’ve been abandoned?
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Black Velvet wrote:Why are competition entries higher if they’ve been abandoned?
Good point.

Now if entries at comps are on the up and (has I have read elsewhere) county numbers are on the down (or as Lee has said, the same players playing county as 20 yrs ago ) then that is interesting.

more folk playing darts yet that not transferred onto the county scene. If correct, a bit of a concern.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Just another example of The “Knowledge” not really knowing what he’s talking about.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Not a surprise
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021