Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 41

MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead? Has the time come for the BDO to throw the towel in on the TV events, and do what they do best grassroots darts.
nikkiboy
International

Re: Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead?

Post by nikkiboy »

I voted no because there is still room for the BDO to run two or three showpiece TV events, we have several boxing championships, wrestling and others so the BDO have a chance to monopolise those channels that are not signed up to the PDC as long as they are well produced and of suitable quality.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
ssjsa
International

Re: Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead?

Post by ssjsa »

I have voted no because imo there is a market for BDO darts.

The issue for me is not the product itself, as the recent WDT showed, there are some decent darts players in the organisation, but the Marketing and selling of that product is abysmal.

It has been mentioned before, get some professional people on board who can make a difference. The death knell has not yet been sounded, but unless the Board do something radically different, it may soon.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

I voted yes

They have lost an unreal amount of money in the last 3 years trying to run tournaments and based on the money in the bank they will be bust in 3 years if they carry on putting these events on.

If you cant make money to improve you make money to survive and the BDO needs to take a serious look at how they are going to survive for the next 5 years.
Astonvilla
Superleague Player

Post by Astonvilla »

I voted no. I think they should continue but be more realistic about prize money. The 100k lakeside winners prize needs chopping in half for a start.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

I voted yes because I dont think the product sells they should be able to sell more than a couple of dozen seats anywhere in the country. No point in having TV events that the fans arent willing to buy tickets for and its not just the world trophy they’ve struggled selling tickets for the masters in the past. Plus Lakeside looks so dated people can tell its not the same product as the PDC they dont even look similar to confuse the casual fans.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

So for the people voting yes what do you suggest for the winners of the opens? currently they get to play in the Winmau & Lakeside qualifiers
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

oche balboa wrote:So for the people voting yes what do you suggest for the winners of the opens? currently they get to play in the Winmau & Lakeside qualifiers
They might get more money for winning the regional opens if they scrapped the TVs. Plus then the opens would mean more and darts for all not the top 28 in the table plus qualifiers for lakeside.
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

MancheStar wrote:
oche balboa wrote:So for the people voting yes what do you suggest for the winners of the opens? currently they get to play in the Winmau & Lakeside qualifiers
They might get more money for winning the regional opens if they scrapped the TVs. Plus then the opens would mean more and darts for all not the top 28 in the table plus qualifiers for lakeside.
But the players who are not on PDC pro tour (BDO top players) would win it anyway

Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Is the World Professional Darts Championship still the most watched darts tournament?
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

No - I hope they dont - Business aside - I still enjoy the Masters and World Trophy - It wont happen but I would like ITV to replace some of the PDC exbos with more BDO events - Bit of variety -

Robson
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Oh, Steve!
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Bradders has famously said he wants all BDO darts to be scrapped as well as opens

Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

No way, it would be a travesty if Real darts was no longer available on TV in some form.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

oche balboa wrote:Bradders has famously said he wants all BDO darts to be scrapped as well as opens
Well thats just poor cricket -

Robson
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Well played, Oche.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

surprised yes votes are in front.

Lakeside is far from finished. But agree with Aston villa re cutting that top figure (I mean it's no longer a headline grabber).
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
thelad1985
Pub Champion

Post by thelad1985 »

why stop lakeside. do bdo fans ask for pdc to be stopped. think of it as different flavors of ice cream
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

Paddy McGinty wrote:No way, it would be a travesty if Real darts was no longer available on TV in some form.
What we would all do on forum Wednesday another sporting tradition would be lost .
Paddy McGinty
International

Post by Paddy McGinty »

WCDPA wrote:
Paddy McGinty wrote:No way, it would be a travesty if Real darts was no longer available on TV in some form.
What we would all do on forum Wednesday another sporting tradition would be lost .
Yes this type of event would be gone for good....the experiences, acquaintances and friends met would be thing of the past. The majority of keyboard warriors on here wouldn't understand.... they'd still be OK mind you........ bashing one off in their bedrooms.

Imagine going to PDC PL and trying to make friends......the thugs would more than likely throw a glass of piss over you.
"What a Fecking Catastrophe!!"