BDO takeover would have been a waste of money

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
The Jolly Man
County Player

BDO takeover would have been a waste of money

Post by The Jolly Man »

PDC Chairman Barry Hearn admits he is “glad” the BDO declined the lucrative takeover offer he submitted almost a decade ago.

Hearn lodged a buyout offer of £1 million plus a further £1 million to be invested into grass roots darts in late 2009, but BDO county delegates instructed their governing body to reject the bid.

At the time, it was believed the BDO made an annual profit of just £16,000, while the PDC made an estimated £1m profit with a turnover of £9m.

Prize money in PDC events rose to a record £11.7m in 2017, almost five times the sum of 2006, while the 2018/19 World Championship will offer a huge £2.5m prize fund, with £500,000 on offer to the winner.

The BDO World Championship, for which a venue and TV deal are still be confirmed for 2019, offers a total prize fund of £339,000 and Hearn believes its 'professional' title should be removed.

"The sadness for me has always been that the Lakeside is being called the World Professional Darts Championship," said Hearn.

"I think that's disrespectful to punters.

"That's the only reason I tried to buy them really, I just wanted to make sure I owned that title!

"I was hearing some bad stories about last week [World Darts Trophy] that there were only 50 people in the crowd.

"I heard it was eight thousand pounds to the winner. I just don't know what you do.

"I'm just so glad I didn't give them two million quid because it would have been a terrible waste of money."

On Monday, it was announced that the PDC World Championship field is to be expanded from 72 to 96 players, including two guaranteed Ladies qualifiers.

The UK and Rest of the World Ladies' qualifying events, to be held later in the year, are open to all female players and Hearn hopes the opportunity will inspire more women to participate in the sport.

He added: "I still can't believe there's a reason why they're not good enough to be up there.

"The only thing I can come back to is, either lack of dedication on their part or lack of opportunity on our part.

"The critics will say it's an opportunity once a year, we've got the amateur circuit but we can't fast track because we have a system in place in the same way respected tours like golf do.

"There's Q School, and as harsh as it may sound, if you're not good enough, you don't deserve to be there."

Gayl King (2001) and Anastasia Dobromyslova (2009) are the only women to have competed in a PDC World Championship to date, while the PDC's inaugural Women's World Championship was won by Stacy Bromberg in 2010.

The two qualifiers are guaranteed at least £7,500 in prize money, rising to £15,000 if they reach the Second Round.

Currently, the BDO Women's World Champion receives £12,000 and the BDO are yet to confirm whether or not the two successful PDC qualifiers will be elible to compete in the BDO World Chmpionship.

Hearn admits that while the lure of a place at Ally Pally remains a one-off opportunity, he must maintain a level playing field and is unwilling to hand out any wildcards to compete on the main PDC tour.

"They've got to do it on a consistent basis and that's where they seem to have let themselves down," he added.

"Also, the truth is, how much do they want it?

"We find ourselves politically saying: "we should be more helpful" but we rely on women being willing to take that opportunity as well.

"You can't just give them a Tour Card because that's disrespectful to the men and kids that struggle.

"There's a lot of 16-22 year-olds on the Development Tour who could probably hold their own on the main tour already, which is fascinating.

"It has to be a level playing field for everybody and if people rise to the challenge and do it then good luck to them wherever they come from and whatever sex they are."
WCDPA
International

Re: BDO takeover would have been a waste of money

Post by WCDPA »

Sort of answers peoples questions about what he would have done for the BDO “ the only reason I wanted to buy them was to own that title “
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

WCDPA wrote:Sort of answers peoples questions about what he would have done for the BDO “ the only reason I wanted to buy them was to own that title “
Because successful business people never create anything that's of value to others while they primarily act on selfish motives...

Anyway, instead of collecting two million quid for it the BDO has essentially wrecked its world title all on its own for free now.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

"At the time, it was believed the BDO made an annual profit of just £16,000"

Ah, such halcyon days of fiscal probity and sound financial management. You wouldn't have seen them throwing tens of thousands at pointless vanity projects back then.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

I hear man walked on the moon recently.
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Hearn(e) would have killed the bdo before now
UKDA 4 Life
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Why does Brett write Hearne?
TSOD World Grand Prix Prediction winner 2017.

"Who gives a shit" - Borespark about every Darts event since 2021
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Zeyes wrote:
WCDPA wrote:Sort of answers peoples questions about what he would have done for the BDO “ the only reason I wanted to buy them was to own that title “
Because successful business people never create anything that's of value to others while they primarily act on selfish motives...

Anyway, instead of collecting two million quid for it the BDO has essentially wrecked its world title all on its own for free now.

Settle down petal

Its still a world title

Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: BDO takeover would have been a waste of money

Post by Ginge »

oche balboa wrote:Why does Brett write Hearne?
Thank you, Susie Dent.
Big Jock Knew
Moongoose McQueeen
County Player

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: BDO takeover would have been a waste of money

Post by Moongoose McQueeen »

Ginge wrote:
oche balboa wrote:Why does Brett write Hearne?
Thank you, Susie Dente.
Fixede
UKDA 4 Life
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Bradderse

Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Oche are you going to the banke tomorrow? It will annoy DBG if you dont.
Big Jock Knew
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

Oke ie wille goe toe thee banke

el_ringo
County Player

Post by el_ringo »

Bet England would of had a team in the World Cup though
oche balboa
International

Post by oche balboa »

el_ringo wrote:

Bet England would of had a team in the World Cup though
How's that an issue with the BDO

Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

Don't confuse him Oche.
Duterprat
Superleague Player

Post by Duterprat »

oche balboa wrote:Its still a world title
Yeah, just that it will soon be not significantly more relevant than that world title I awarded to myself last weekend.
It has a history to it and that can't be taken away, but in todays form it is for the real darts world title what Star Wars XXX is for the Star Wars franchise :D :D
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

What is it with Sci-Fi fans being fucking weird?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Black Velvet wrote:What is it with Sci-Fi fans being fekkin weird?
And frequenting darts forums.
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

Black Velvet wrote:What is it with Sci-Fi fans being fekkin weird?
I think its time you grew up a bit bud -

Robson