Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead?

Yes
71%
No
29%

Total votes: 41

Ginge
International

Re: Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead?

Post by Ginge »

Surely its not a case of "if", but "when", the product in its current form it far too difficult for a major multinational corporation like Amazon to ignore and will surely be a huge subscription driver.

Stop laughing at the back, there.
Big Jock Knew
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Re: Should the BDO scrap all TV events and concentrate on all the large opens instead?

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

nikkiboy wrote:
devosteve wrote:
Ginge wrote:Amazon, bloody hell :D
I have it on good authority! of course, it was on the news re amazon! Again I am not always certain if folks are genuine in fanatic land re their ideas or clever spoofs.
Stranger things have happened, have you seen some of the shite that gets made by Amazon and Netflix?
Definately worth a phone call/fax/carrier pigeon
An unintenional pun or a crafty pun. ;-)

Would the WDT have got more people in had it not been on TV. The reason I thought for TV was the usual sell out of live events(football,tennis,snooker and such)

I think if they used Social media more you would not have the need for TV in smaller events, good updating and maybe live tweeting would yield more fans.
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:Would the WDT have got more people in had it not been on TV.
I doubt it. Might have been worse if the event wasn't even a "TV major". Though if they were lucky, I guess the loss on ticket sales revenue would be compensated by the money they save by not paying for TV coverage...
Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:I think if they used Social media more you would not have the need for TV in smaller events, good updating and maybe live tweeting would yield more fans.
Smaller events? It's the third-biggest on the BDO calendar, and one can make the case that they've been pushing it more than the World Masters in recent years, which just seems to trundle along for tradition's sake. (As sad as that is; I continue to maintain that the Masters is the only one of the three big events which actually still has a reason to exist.)

Anyway, social media doesn't "yield" fans, it just satisfies those who are already at least broadly interested in something. The medium's reach as an advertising tool towards the general population is vastly overrated when it comes to niche products. Aside from that: The BDO doesn't just need more fans, it needs more fans who are actually willing to pay something, anything for the product. Lots of people like to pat themselves on the back for how they're "interested in all darts", but only as long as it doesn't cost them anything except time when it comes to BDO tournaments.
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

BDO have been selling their members down the river for years, might aswell do a deal with Amazon.
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

Zeyes wrote:
Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:Would the WDT have got more people in had it not been on TV.
I doubt it. Might have been worse if the event wasn't even a "TV major". Though if they were lucky, I guess the loss on ticket sales revenue would be compensated by the money they save by not paying for TV coverage...
Wubbalubbadubdub wrote:I think if they used Social media more you would not have the need for TV in smaller events, good updating and maybe live tweeting would yield more fans.
Smaller events? It's the third-biggest on the BDO calendar, and one can make the case that they've been pushing it more than the World Masters in recent years, which just seems to trundle along for tradition's sake. (As sad as that is; I continue to maintain that the Masters is the only one of the three big events which actually still has a reason to exist.)

Anyway, social media doesn't "yield" fans, it just satisfies those who are already at least broadly interested in something. The medium's reach as an advertising tool towards the general population is vastly overrated when it comes to niche products. Aside from that: The BDO doesn't just need more fans, it needs more fans who are actually willing to pay something, anything for the product. Lots of people like to pat themselves on the back for how they're "interested in all darts", but only as long as it doesn't cost them anything except time when it comes to BDO tournaments.
I was on about the opens that they are trying to get on TV and the international events, where good updating would overcome the need for TV and being able to maximise advertising(through are old affiliate way).
This is not a quick fix and would take a while to get some people interested and to make some money. A good twitter feed,input from a select group of players(maybe the BDO for Life members) and small little sponsors that would advertised through their Tweets is where they are missing out on.
There never going to compete with the PDC, we all know it, but they don't even give themselves the chance as it seems to be everyman for himself in the BDO.
Robson
The Ton Club

Post by Robson »

If the BDO board have any sense - Theyll jump on the Amazon bandwagon - They have nothing to lose - And Amazon might just be the future - TV companies dont want to know the BDO - Its a shame - But its true - Its the boards fault - Too many poor chefs in the kitchen - I think I could do a better job than Sue Williams and Paula Jacklin - If your are reading this BDO board - Get in touch with Amazon - Start marketing - And bring BDO darts into this decade - The players and fans deserve better -

Robson