How many viewing figures would lakeside get if it ends up on freesports?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here

Less than 10k
21%
10-20k
38%
20-40k
25%
40-60k
4%
60-80k
No votes
80-100k
No votes
100k or more
13%

Total votes: 24

MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

How many viewing figures would lakeside get if it ends up on freesports? Looking at the abysmal viewing figures for the WDT do people think lakeside would get much higher if it ends up on freesports?
nikkiboy
International

Re: How many viewing figures would lakeside get if it ends up on freesports?

Post by nikkiboy »

25k peak session at a guess
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

I couldn’t see it getting more than 20k if I’m honest. If they lose channel 4 it’ll change BDO forever unless they got channel 5. Think when the channel 4 contract finishes this year or next that will be the end of BDO tv darts.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Losing Lakeside is the heart of the problem. Lose that and they will lose decent TV. For all its faults they simply have to keep Lakeside. If Des moves it to Preston it's game over.
WCDPA
International

Post by WCDPA »

MancheStar wrote:I couldn’t see it getting more than 20k if I’m honest. If they lose channel 4 it’ll change BDO forever unless they got channel 5. Think when the channel 4 contract finishes this year or next that will be the end of BDO tv darts.
C4 contract is over was since lakeside 2018 , will it be renewed ........who knows ?
Is Barry’s offer of a ladies qualifier based on any insider information ? after all he has many broadcaster contacts .
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Skewball wrote:Losing Lakeside is the heart of the problem. Lose that and they will lose decent TV. For all its faults they simply have to keep Lakeside. If Des moves it to Preston it's game over.
Imagine the figures if the title was "If the bdo wc moved to Preston and ended up on freesports"? They would plummet.

If still at lakeside you would think there would still be an audience for that. was it 1 Million on C4? Down to 100,000?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I voted 20-40 but reckon it would be more (don't know how to change vote on the poll).
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Freesports isnt even getting 50k for football matches at a prime time hour from a decent league (Portugal) and they seem to get its best rating for short pre-recorded magazine programmes about rugby union, why do people think it would get any more for what most people deem the "second division" of darts?
Big Jock Knew
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Ginge wrote:Freesports isnt even getting 50k for football matches at a prime time hour from a decent league (Portugal) and they seem to get its best rating for short pre-recorded magazine programmes about rugby union, why do people think it would get any more for what most people deem the "second division" of darts?
Im guessing that because people arnt staying switched on to the channel, they are just flicking through for 5-10 minutes at a time (30 minute program is always going to get a better average figure than a 2/3 hour program)

Its why BDO always looks terrible on here, they might get the odd good peak but a 5/6 hour program is just going to have a terrible average figure.

To answer the question - 20k absolute max. The channel just doesnt have a big enough reach.

I think the better question would be "if the BDO worlds went online only on Youtube (or twitch) how many viewers would it get? and would it be enough to make money off it?"
Last edited by Zapp Brannigan on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

WCDPA wrote:
MancheStar wrote:I couldn’t see it getting more than 20k if I’m honest. If they lose channel 4 it’ll change BDO forever unless they got channel 5. Think when the channel 4 contract finishes this year or next that will be the end of BDO tv darts.
C4 contract is over was since lakeside 2018 , will it be renewed ........who knows ?
Is Barry’s offer of a ladies qualifier based on any insider information ? after all he has many broadcaster contacts .
I dont think Bazza is thinking about the lakeside contract, although at minute he can obviously spin it to the ladies as currently their only chance of a match on TV this year.

As for the C4 Deal, the fact it wasnt renewed while active tells you everything you need to know. Only way C4 are coming back will be on heavily reduced terms otherwise they would have just signed it there and then.
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Like I said on another thread, they will probably be waiting for the 2018/19 European rugby fixture dates to be confirmed.
Big Jock Knew
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Ginge wrote:Freesports isnt even getting 50k for football matches at a prime time hour from a decent league (Portugal) and they seem to get its best rating for short pre-recorded magazine programmes about rugby union, why do people think it would get any more for what most people deem the "second division" of darts?
A fair comparison would be if The Portuguese Football was getting £1 million on C4 and then moved to freesports. As a stand alone argument you are correct imo re fewer folks would watch 2nd division darts. But there is a context here of lakeside being a long standing, free to air sporting event that got 1 million viewers last year. Surely that would count for something and help the viewing figures were it to switch channels?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

devosteve wrote:
A fair comparison would be if The Portuguese Football was getting £1 million on C4 and then moved to freesports. As a stand alone argument you are correct imo re fewer folks would watch 2nd division darts. But there is a context here of lakeside being a long standing, free to air sporting event that got 1 million viewers last year. Surely that would count for something and help the viewing figures were it to switch channels?
it counts for dick shit. If it moved from one of the 5 main channels it would plummit. Their best chance may be on BTSport alone as a fairly niche offering of theirs.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Skewball wrote:
devosteve wrote:
it counts for dick shit. If it moved from one of the 5 main channels it would plummit. Their best chance may be on BTSport alone as a fairly niche offering of theirs.
Theres no way BT sports will pick it up on its own without dropping the number of sessions, their calendar is way too busy that time of year.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

Skewball wrote:
devosteve wrote:
I agree it could just be that people have C4 on in the background instead of people tuning.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

WCDPA wrote:
Can’t see them renewing it if they tuned in to the WDT supposively a BDO major.
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Post by Black Velvet »

How can a TV programme get more than one viewing figure?
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

MancheStar wrote:
WCDPA wrote:
Can’t see them renewing it if they tuned in to the WDT supposively a BDO major.
Exactly , to put that shower of shit on when in the middle of negotiating a Prime Time TV contract is quite staggering.
MancheStar
Superleague Player

Post by MancheStar »

WCDPA wrote:
To be fair the ladies darts have been some of the major pluses of the last few lakesides especially the semi finals and finals.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

As others have said move off channels 1 to 5 and the viewing figures will plummet. Many never move their TV off those channels. When my mum was alive I had to phone her up when a programme was starting on another channel outside those, telling her to press whatever the channel number was on her remote.

The problem with the BDO is the lack of advertising and brand awareness. Freesports promote on Facebook and BDO on Facebook and their YouTube channel. Those are communication channels focused on younger people will completely pass by the elderly couch potatoes like my dad who would watch Lakeside on BBC2 or C4 whilst having a post lunch nap in the lounge.

They won’t know it’s on or how to find Freesports on their TV whilst the young know BDO is non league to the PDC’s Premier League.