2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Skewball
International

Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by Skewball »

good decision ! hopefully will encourage some people to contribute before entering next week!!
Hirsti
Steady Sixties

Post by Hirsti »

25 posts thats non predictions accordin to my history which in 8 years is rubbish tbh.

Gonna try and get involved more but im more a reader than writer
SAFC
Superleague Player

Post by SAFC »

Anyone know why the start time is later on the Sunday evening session
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

SAFC wrote:Anyone know why the start time is later on the Sunday evening session
Never noticed that, strange.
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
SAFC wrote:Anyone know why the start time is later on the Sunday evening session
Will be either because of a) to ensure a decent gap between sessions, or b) to fit around other sporting events the host is showing.

Or c) both.
Big Jock Knew
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
Will be either because of a) to ensure a decent gap between sessions, or b) to fit around other sporting events the host is showing.

Or c) both.
I suppose it could be sky, half hour? Never noticed it before.
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by Ginge »

nikkiboy wrote:
Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

Or c) both.
The Open Golf is on next Sunday, half 7 start will ensure the darts can go on the main channel after it assuming no extra holes to be played.

That is my guess, anyway.

Sky have often done this. Last few years the Grand Prix final has been an 8 start so it can directly follow the Rugby League Grand Final without an overlap.
Big Jock Knew
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Hirsti wrote:25 posts thats non predictions accordin to my history which in 8 years is rubbish tbh.

Gonna try and get involved more but im more a reader than writer
Jump right in, I'm sure you will make more sense than 90% of us here already :)
BlueSpark
International

Post by BlueSpark »

88%
Ian's flounced now mate.
SAFC
Superleague Player

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: 2018 PDC World Matchplay- Blackpool- 21st-29th July 2018

Post by SAFC »

Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:
Ginge wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:

Or c) both.
The Open Golf is on next Sunday, half 7 start will ensure the darts can go on the main channel after it assuming no extra holes to be played.

That is my guess, anyway.

Sky have often done this. Last few years the Grand Prix final has been an 8 start so it can directly follow the Rugby League Grand Final without an overlap.
Ah well makes sense I still think when the darts is on for 1 week plus they should have the darts channel like they do for the worlds
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

I like this idea re posts being made to enter comps.

I wonder if some folks are rejoicing in (their opinion anyway) that this forum is 'dying'. Well The Fact Is The Forum Needs Posters. If we all just read then the forum will die.

64 guests at the moment. Here's hoping we hear more of your views, insight and experiences re the world of darts.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

BlueSpark wrote:
Skewball wrote:
BlueSpark wrote:A valid point well made.
A discussion has been started in the staff room.
cool, I will await the decision with interest.
I'm sure I will enter either way ;)
20 or more posts on the dart threads (not the comp predictions) to qualify the entry.
A disappointing 54 entries last year with no restrictions on post count, despite me promoting it through our Twitter account. Expecting a significantly higher amount for this year's competition.

2023 World Championship Prediction Competition winner
2019 Q School Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Weeks 9-16 Prediction Competition winner
PL 2019 Prediction Competition Cash Prize winner
JOEY
Pub Champion

Post by JOEY »

Bitch of a draw for barney :banghead:
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

JONNY CLAYTON can’t wait to sample the famous Winter Gardens atmosphere for the first time as he makes his BetVictor World Matchplay debut in Blackpool this Saturday.

The Welsh star has made huge strides over the last two years, culminating in the biggest win of his career in April as he claimed the Austrian Darts Open trophy.

Clayton’s triumph in Graz qualified him for a number of televised tournaments throughout the year and he is now determined to make his mark on TV.

“I can’t wait to play on the Winter Gardens stage, I’ve been looking forward to it for a long time now,” said Clayton, who represented Wales at the World Cup of Darts last month.

My confidence is on a high and now I want to show everyone how good I can be on one of the biggest stages in world darts.

"Being a dart player, these are the tournaments you want to play in and slowly but surely I’m making my way into more and more of the big TV events.

“Everyone always says Blackpool has an amazing atmosphere and now I’ve got the chance to experience it for myself which really excites me.”

Clayton won his first PDC ranking title at Players Championship 22 in Barnsley last October, before coming runner-up at the Players Championship Finals a month later, and has also qualified for the World Grand Prix and European Championship later this year.

The Pontyberem ace is keen to use his recent success as a springboard to more titles and believes there is no limit to what he can achieve this year.

“I keep improving my game and taking steps toward the top end of the rankings,”Clayton added.

The win in Austria was huge for me, I was so happy to have won my first European Tour title and now I want to add more.

“I’m in my fourth year playing in the PDC now, and it’s been a real learning curve.

“I’ve learned so much from all the players and I feel confident that my approach to the TV tournaments will be spot on.”

“I’ve set myself a target of getting into the top 16, which I am a little bit closer to now but who knows how far I could go.”

The 43-year-old faces a tough assignment on the opening night of the tournament as he takes on Premier League Darts finalist Michael Smith.

“I’ve got total respect for Michael as a person and a dart player,” said Clayton.

“It will be a real challenge to beat him but it’s one I’m looking forward to massively.

“My preparation has gone very well, I’ve had my head down on the practice board for the last few weeks so hopefully my hard work will pay off.”

Watch Jonny in action at The BetVictor World Matchplay, which will be broadcast on Sky Sports from July 21-29. For tickets, call the Winter Gardens Box Office on 0844 856 1111 or buy online at pdc.seetickets.com.

Thomas Cook Sport Breaks and Hospitality Packages are also available. See www.pdc.tv/tickets for full details and ticket information.

2018 BetVictor World Matchplay
Schedule of Play
Saturday July 21 (7pm)
First Round
Adrian Lewis v James Wilson
Dave Chisnall v Keegan Brown
Michael van Gerwen v Jeffrey de Zwaan
Michael Smith v Jonny Clayton

Sunday July 22
Afternoon Session (1pm)
First Round
Darren Webster v Steve Lennon
Ian White v Max Hopp
Gerwyn Price v Joe Cullen
Daryl Gurney v Steve West

Evening Session (7.30pm)
First Round
Mensur Suljovic v Steve Beaton
Gary Anderson v Stephen Bunting
Rob Cross v Mervyn King
Raymond van Barneveld v Kyle Anderson

Monday July 23 (7pm)
First Round
Kim Huybrechts v John Henderson
Simon Whitlock v Richard North
James Wade v Jermaine Wattimena
Peter Wright v Jelle Klaasen

Tuesday July 24 (7pm)
Second Round
Chisnall/Brown v Smith/Clayton
Gurney/West v Price/Cullen
Van Gerwen/De Zwaan v Lewis/Wilson
G Anderson/Bunting v Van Barneveld/K Anderson

Wednesday July 25 (7pm)
Second Round
Whitlock/North v Wade/Wattimena
Suljovic/Beaton v White/Hopp
Cross/King v Webster/Lennon
Wright/Klaasen v Huybrechts/Henderson

Thursday July 26 (7pm)
Quarter-Finals x2

Friday July 27 (7pm)
Quarter-Finals x2

Saturday July 28 (7pm)
Semi-Finals

Sunday July 29 (7pm)
Final

Format:
First Round - Best of 19 legs
Second Round - Best of 21 legs
Quarter-Finals - Best of 31 legs
Semi-Finals - Best of 33 legs
Final - Best of 35 legs

Prize Fund:
Winner - £115,000
Runner-Up - £55,000
Semi-Finalists - £30,000
Quarter-Finalists - £17,500
Second Round Losers - £11,000
First Round Losers - £7,000
Total - £500,000

devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Been to the box office in Blackpool today. Inquired re Sunday afternoon tickets.

now unless the pdc have got a massive supply this event is getting more popular.

Only 9 tickets left. 1 standing, 1 balcony, 7 table. I am sure Sunday afternoon has never been on the verge of sellout?
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Mgt
Superleague Player

Post by Mgt »

devosteve wrote:Been to the box office in Blackpool today. Inquired re Sunday afternoon tickets.

now unless the pdc have got a massive supply this event is getting more popular.

Only 9 tickets left. 1 standing, 1 balcony, 7 table. I am sure Sunday afternoon has never been on the verge of sellout?
Devo you cunt, don't you know asking information on ticket sales is the death of a darts tournament!?! The PDC boys will be playing in an empty hall this year, only because you couldn't keep your mouth shut. :(
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

Obviously though not a sell out yet as the PDC website is still plugging sales. Saying tickets still available for some sessions.

They seem to be more struggling shifting hospitality tickets but at £120 for first couple of rounds not a surprise as not what I call hospitality. You get a table seat, but it’s only one free drink on arrival and pie and mash to eat. There’s an exclusive pay bar for the two hours prior to play, away from the standard punters. However to me hospitality should be unlimited alcohol included in price. But that does apply until later rounds when the price jumps to £240. You also get more food and a meet and greet with an ex Pro.
ssjsa
International

Post by ssjsa »

For those interested in the ELO ratings I have referred to previously, here are the odds from 5 matches that represent fair prices in the opinion of The Darts Oracle.

I will be using them to compare against the bookmakers odds in the hope I can find a couple of decent bets.
Attachments
IMG_20180716_234646.jpg
IMG_20180716_234646.jpg (29.31 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
IMG_20180716_234653.jpg
IMG_20180716_234653.jpg (24.87 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
IMG_20180716_234708.jpg
IMG_20180716_234708.jpg (33.04 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
IMG_20180716_234722.jpg
IMG_20180716_234722.jpg (33.23 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
IMG_20180716_234728.jpg
IMG_20180716_234728.jpg (40.91 KiB) Viewed 1442 times

nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Mgt wrote:
devosteve wrote:Been to the box office in Blackpool today. Inquired re Sunday afternoon tickets.

Devo you fraggle, don't you know asking information on ticket sales is the death of a darts tournament!?! The PDC boys will be playing in an empty hall this year, only because you couldn't keep your mouth shut. :(
:grin: Real PDC fanatics already calling Devo a t*at and a m*ng
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

malcy93 wrote:Obviously though not a sell out yet as the PDC website is still plugging sales. Saying tickets still available for some sessions.

They seem to be more struggling shifting hospitality tickets but at £120 for first couple of rounds not a surprise as not what I call hospitality. You get a table seat, but it’s only one free drink on arrival and pie and mash to eat. There’s an exclusive pay bar for the two hours prior to play, away from the standard punters. However to me hospitality should be unlimited alcohol included in price. But that does apply until later rounds when the price jumps to £240. You also get more food and a meet and greet with an ex Pro.
That does seem expensive just for one drink and a meal, it used to be a free bar didn't it?