Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
Black Velvet
Site Admin/Mod

Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Post by Black Velvet »

I meant ringo mate, sounds like he has something in his eyes.
nikkiboy
International

Post by nikkiboy »

Black Velvet wrote:I meant ringo mate, sounds like he has something in his eyes.

You mean you weren't interested in my well being?

You cut me deep.

As a BDO player what are your opinions on their way forward?
Interested in others' views
Ginge wrote:the cancer has been cut from the BDO
21st April 2016 7:01am
Zeyes
International

Re: RE: Re: Des Jacklin new chairman of England?

Post by Zeyes »

nikkiboy wrote:The BDO is at a key stage in it's evolution at the moment, they have all but lost big money sponsors and big TV contracts but Lakeside is still the jewel in the crown of the darting world.
The PDC have moved into the sub tour markets with the challenge tour, into the youth market with the development tour and are mooted to be going into the ladies game.
Where does that leave the BDO? I think it leaves them in the most precarious position they have ever been, with no big money coming in the company will lose money and that will have a knock on effect on what they can achieve and what they can afford to change.
The BDO was at a key stage in its evolution maybe 6 to 7 years ago, back when it first became apparent that the PDC was gonna start to compete with them in more places than just the top end of the game. Now the BDO is virtually dead, it just still refuses to acknowledge all the bullets it has taken to all its vital organs.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Zeyes wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:The BDO is at a key stage in it's evolution at the moment, they have all but lost big money sponsors and big TV contracts but Lakeside is still the jewel in the crown of the darting world.
The PDC have moved into the sub tour markets with the challenge tour, into the youth market with the development tour and are mooted to be going into the ladies game.
Where does that leave the BDO? I think it leaves them in the most precarious position they have ever been, with no big money coming in the company will lose money and that will have a knock on effect on what they can achieve and what they can afford to change.
The BDO was at a key stage in its evolution maybe 6 to 7 years ago, back when it first became apparent that the PDC was gonna start to compete with them in more places than just the top end of the game. Now the BDO is virtually dead, it just still refuses to acknowledge all the bullets it has taken to all its vital organs.
'Vital Organs' , 'Bullets' :)
Zeyes
International

Post by Zeyes »

Ginge wrote:The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.
It would also mean that the BDO or WDF will need to start dictating how prize money can be distributed. Or does anybody think that prize money schedules such as the one at the Denmark Open belong on a fair money ranking?

(in Danish Crowns)

Winner 28,000
Runner-up 14,000
Semis 6,000
Quarters 1,200
Last 16 600
Last 32 250
Last 64 100

Or the Polish Open (in Polish Zloty):

Winner 5,000
Runner-up 3,000
Semis 2,000
Quarters 400
Last 16 200

Both orgs struggle to dictate any rules as it is.
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Zeyes wrote:
Ginge wrote:The BDO/WDF will never, ever move to a money based system as it will just highlight the comparative pittance of money available in the system.
It would also mean that the BDO or WDF will need to start dictating how prize money can be distributed. Or does anybody think that prize money schedules such as the one at the Denmark Open belong on a fair money ranking?

(in Danish Crowns)

Winner 28,000
Runner-up 14,000
Semis 6,000
Quarters 1,200
Last 16 600
Last 32 250
Last 64 100

Winner 5,000
Runner-up 3,000
Semis 2,000
Quarters 400
Last 16 200

That's only 2 examples, good examples, But I would like to see more to be convinced.
Case
County Player

Post by Case »

Zeyes wrote:
The de-evolution of the professional BDO started early 90's, 2006/2007 where further nails in the coffin.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

Zeyes wrote:
I still recall folks spouting how the pdc were only interested in the top 32/64. Maybe at that time they were.

but not anymore.

incredible to think that the bdo had a monopoly on youth darts and yet in a relatively short period the pdc are the dominant influence in youth darts.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Wasn't even the 32/64, the oft (and still parroted) 8/16!

They should be built to cater for the majority of the "all" rather than spunking money away catering for a "top tier" who have a professional tour elsewhere.
cobra
Steady Sixties

Post by cobra »

The board should've offered to resign in wake of the Deluxe fiasco. Then there was the piss-poor last minute organisation of the WDT last year, yet they managed to survive that as well.
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

ChrisW wrote:
Zeyes wrote:

(in Danish Crowns)

Winner 28,000
Runner-up 14,000
Semis 6,000
Quarters 1,200
Last 16 600
Last 32 250
Last 64 100

Winner 5,000
Runner-up 3,000
Semis 2,000
Quarters 400
Last 16 200

That's only 2 examples, good examples, But I would like to see more to be convinced.
The Scottish Open is heavily weighted towards the finalists:

Winner 3,000
Runner-up 1,500
Semis 480
Quarters 200
Last 16 80
Last 32 40
Last 64 20

Personally I don't think the ranking system is a major problem compared with everything else that has been messed up over the last few years. Show enough competence to your members that you can manage your current portfolio of events and maybe the tide can be stemmed. They are a long way away from that at the moment though!
Addicks Fan
County Player

Post by Addicks Fan »

ChrisW wrote:
Zeyes wrote:

(in Danish Crowns)

Winner 28,000
Runner-up 14,000
Semis 6,000
Quarters 1,200
Last 16 600
Last 32 250
Last 64 100

Winner 5,000
Runner-up 3,000
Semis 2,000
Quarters 400
Last 16 200

The Scottish Open is heavily weighted towards the finalists:

Winner 3,000
Runner-up 1,500
Semis 480
Quarters 200
Last 16 80
Last 32 40
Last 64 20

Personally I don't think the ranking system is a major problem compared with everything else that has been messed up over the last few years. Show enough competence to your members that you can manage your current portfolio of events and maybe the tide can be stemmed. They are a long way away from that at the moment though!