Superleague Player

Re: The Jacklins have done it

Post by Bruce Terrett »

nikkiboy wrote:
Bruce Terrett wrote:
nikkiboy wrote:But it can't sing and dance and it can't walk
Showing your age there, Nick.
(And your dodgy taste in music!)
I'm being lectured on music by a metalhead!

How's things boyo?
Fine, matey. Still here, kicking and screaming!!!

Interesting times ahead in the world of BDO darts, will be watching things work themselves out in one way or another.
Little Lonely Garry
International

Post by Little Lonely Garry »

My signature has never been so apt.
i am so sorry for my actions these last ten years, i'm going through a tough time
DartsMadJohn
Steady Sixties

Post by DartsMadJohn »

el_ringo wrote:Channel 5 will save the day

Be a BDO special on Can't Pay etc :)

But on serious note do Channel 5 show any live sport ? they have lots of channels to fill and 5pike shows wrestling at least
Given the standard of some of the TV matches the special will be "Can't Play - Please Take Them Away!"
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Si Robin wrote:Going back to Freesports potentially showing Lakeside - is there a chance of BT Sport taking it on and then putting 50% to Freesports - they've already given Freesports the National League highlights from this season (BT Sport continuing to show live games).

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that Freesports won't cover the cost of an outside broadcast for 9 days, but if BT can cover the larger amount, there's no reason Freesports couldn't take the daytime sessions at a fraction of the cost.

From what I can see, Freesports is starting to build a portfolio of niche sports - they do the Pool Premier League (in what look like pubs), and they've recently signed a deal to show British Ice Hockey (along with the odd NHL game from Premier Sports), maybe it could become the home of BDO Darts.
It all comes down to who is going to pay for it.
For a start, I really can't see BT Sport looking to invest any more in this than they already have. It's no secret they've massively overstretched themselves in what they pay for live sport and they're starting to reign it in a bit, as their recent loss of NBA and UFC shows.
If they weren't prepared to fully fund Lakeside in the past, I see no reason why they'd want to now.

Also, as Ginge rightly points out, there's no way Freesports will pick up any of the bill for weekday day time sessions. They've got a huge library of old stuff they can put on for next to nothing during off peak hours.
I mean they are currently devoting several off peak hours a day to showing this years NHL play-offs.
Spoiler alert: The Washington Capitals completed a 4-1 series victory over the Vegas Golden Knights to win the Stanley Cup. On June 8th.

You're right about Freesports expanding their offerings with the pool league and the British ice hockey, and they may well be interested in live darts going forward, but you can be sure they'll only be interested in putting it on during peak viewing times, which is not what Lakeside could provide.
Zapp Brannigan
County Player

Post by Zapp Brannigan »

Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:
Si Robin wrote:Going back to Freesports potentially showing Lakeside - is there a chance of BT Sport taking it on and then putting 50% to Freesports - they've already given Freesports the National League highlights from this season (BT Sport continuing to show live games).

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that Freesports won't cover the cost of an outside broadcast for 9 days, but if BT can cover the larger amount, there's no reason Freesports couldn't take the daytime sessions at a fraction of the cost.

From what I can see, Freesports is starting to build a portfolio of niche sports - they do the Pool Premier League (in what look like pubs), and they've recently signed a deal to show British Ice Hockey (along with the odd NHL game from Premier Sports), maybe it could become the home of BDO Darts.
For a start, I really can't see BT Sport looking to invest any more in this than they already have. It's no secret they've massively overstretched themselves in what they pay for live sport and they're starting to reign it in a bit, as their recent loss of NBA and UFC shows.
If they weren't prepared to fully fund Lakeside in the past, I see no reason why they'd want to now.

Also, as Ginge rightly points out, there's no way Freesports will pick up any of the bill for weekday day time sessions. They've got a huge library of old stuff they can put on for next to nothing during off peak hours.
I mean they are currently devoting several off peak hours a day to showing this years NHL play-offs.
Spoiler alert: The Washington Capitals completed a 4-1 series victory over the Vegas Golden Knights to win the Stanley Cup. On June 8th.

You're right about Freesports expanding their offerings with the pool league and the British ice hockey, and they may well be interested in live darts going forward, but you can be sure they'll only be interested in putting it on during peak viewing times, which is not what Lakeside could provide.

Just a thought but BT have just been gutted in terms of mid range programming and lost a lot of football that they could show at night and repeat during the day. The amount they have saved in terms of not paying out for those sports would mean a few hundred thousands for 9 days of darts would be nothing to them.

Not really sure if BT would go for it 100% with any kind of decent offer, especially when you consider if they dont go for it the BDO are in pure desperation and are going to be left funding it all themselves and sticking it on one of the other channels, but if there was ever a time it would be this year.
Buzz Fledderjohn
Superleague Player

Post by Buzz Fledderjohn »

Zapp Brannigan wrote:
Buzz Fledderjohn wrote:

Just a thought but BT have just been gutted in terms of mid range programming and lost a lot of football that they could show at night and repeat during the day. The amount they have saved in terms of not paying out for those sports would mean a few hundred thousands for 9 days of darts would be nothing to them.

Not really sure if BT would go for it 100% with any kind of decent offer, especially when you consider if they dont go for it the BDO are in pure desperation and are going to be left funding it all themselves and sticking it on one of the other channels, but if there was ever a time it would be this year.
It's possible I suppose, but I'm sure I read somewhere recently that BT have effectively taken a management decision to stop using BT Sport as a means of attracting new customers and are going to concentrate on increasing the profitability of existing customers instead.
If that's true, then paying more money for the rights to show live coverage of a niche sport during the weekday day time slot doesn't really fit in with that strategy.
markymark
County Player

Post by markymark »

Especially when the "fanatical" audience won't pay for it.
Bag Carrier
County Player

Post by Bag Carrier »

Well The New chair has saved the day in Spain.

Vizacaya Open 2018

On Monday 6th August 2018 the BDO was informed by the Spanish Darts Federation that they would be cancelling this event due to circumstances beyond their control.

With just over three weeks to the event and players having already booked and paid for their flights plus accommodation, the BDO has decided to offer assistance and save this year's event.

After long discussions between the newly appointed BDO Chairman and the Spanish Federation it has been agreed that the event will continue with only one Category A ranking event for both Men and Ladies. The pairs events/team event will continue as planned but the second ranked event will not take place. This compromise had to be made in order to protect the players that had already booked.

Assurances from the event sponsor have been received in writing alongside a guarantee prize fund that a Category A event requires.

We would like to make it clear that this will not set precedence for any event or organisation in the future wishing to cancel their advertised event.

The tournament sanctioning criteria will now be looked at to safe guard future events before being listed in the calendar

The new schedule is Friday 4pm Mixed Pairs, Friday 7pm Men's & Ladies Pairs. Saturday 4pm Men's & Ladies Singles Category A events. Sunday 11am Team Cup followed by presentations.
JFT97
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Bag Carrier wrote:Well The New chair has saved the day in Spain.

Vizacaya Open 2018

On Monday 6th August 2018 the BDO was informed by the Spanish Darts Federation that they would be cancelling this event due to circumstances beyond their control.

With just over three weeks to the event and players having already booked and paid for their flights plus accommodation, the BDO has decided to offer assistance and save this year's event.

After long discussions between the newly appointed BDO Chairman and the Spanish Federation it has been agreed that the event will continue with only one Category A ranking event for both Men and Ladies. The pairs events/team event will continue as planned but the second ranked event will not take place. This compromise had to be made in order to protect the players that had already booked.

Assurances from the event sponsor have been received in writing alongside a guarantee prize fund that a Category A event requires.

We would like to make it clear that this will not set precedence for any event or organisation in the future wishing to cancel their advertised event.

The tournament sanctioning criteria will now be looked at to safe guard future events before being listed in the calendar

The new schedule is Friday 4pm Mixed Pairs, Friday 7pm Men's & Ladies Pairs. Saturday 4pm Men's & Ladies Singles Category A events. Sunday 11am Team Cup followed by presentations.
Someone needs to re write this. Don't write an opening paragraph that's says the event is off. Most people will read that and not carry on
TheSandman
Superleague Player

Post by TheSandman »

Well played the SDF

Getting the new board on their 1st day to stump up funds to keep the event going.

It’s a bad precedent the board has set, they should have let the event be cancelled and use it as a way to create a criteria for a new BDO calendar.

Without BDO points half of these low paying events in Europe wouldn’t get the uk players turning up.
Wubbalubbadubdub
County Player

Post by Wubbalubbadubdub »

Surely only the WDF should step in. I wonder how many of the Lincs Sponsored group have been booked into this?

This is a blatent waste of BDO funds and no matter who had booked flights and accomodation, it should not be underwrit by the BDO.

Also can you not get insurance for a cancelation like this?
pootashing
Feather Flights

Post by pootashing »

Somebody actually know if BDO have put money in? And who runs the Vizacaya open?
London Eye
The Ton Club

Post by London Eye »

pootashing wrote:Somebody actually know if BDO have put money in? And who runs the Vizacaya open?
Of course they have put money in, how else could they "step in" and save it? It's a complete miss use of BDO funds, funds that belong to the counties, I bet Jacklin never asked them. Here we go, in his first week in charge, pissing away members money on an event in Spain, you cannot make this up. It's a blatant case of Jacklin looking to be a hero among the players who booked flights and hotels. If Jacklin wants to be a hero he should fund it out of his own arse pocket, not BDO members money.
London Eye
The Ton Club

Post by London Eye »

Wonder what Tommy Thompson makes of this, if the old board had done it he would be seething all over Facebook.
devosteve
International

Post by devosteve »

London Eye wrote:Wonder what Tommy Thompson makes of this, if the old board had done it he would be seething all over Facebook.
Depends if BDO money has been used to save this.

have read on fanatics (so don't know if accurate) only 10 women booked in and 50 men. If this was cancelled then no chance of points for those players. It will be interesting if any player gets into lakeside because of the points they win at this event.
Hot Potatoes: the very best of Devo.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

devosteve wrote:
London Eye wrote:Wonder what Tommy Thompson makes of this, if the old board had done it he would be seething all over Facebook.
Depends if BDO money has been used to save this.

have read on fanatics (so don't know if accurate) only 10 women booked in and 50 men. If this was cancelled then no chance of points for those players. It will be interesting if any player gets into lakeside because of the points they win at this event.
I've not seen the entry list, but I bet I know who one of the female entrants is! :IIII: :IIII:
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Dear participants,
The Promoter of the iii open of vizcaya has been forced to cancel one of the tournaments planned for that championship, as well as to decrease minimally each other's awards due to the low number of participants. The programming has therefore been amended as follows:

Friday day 31 August:
16:00 mixed couples
19:00 couples / masc couples

Saturday 1 September:
16:00 individual fem / masc cat to both

Sunday 2 September:
11:00 team competition

Those players who have paid for both individual tournaments will be reimbursed by the tournament cancelled either by bank transfer or cash in the championship.
We regret the changes but circumstances are beyond our control.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

Hahaha,
I'd love to know if bdo has put money into this!!

In the new era of transparency surely we will be hold, or at least the members will know..... Surely?!!
The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Why aren’t the locals going to this? They get loads at the PDC Worlds qualifiers. What is it they don’t like about this?
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

The Jolly Man wrote:Why aren’t the locals going to this? They get loads at the PDC Worlds qualifiers. What is it they don’t like about this?
Perhaps the location.