Competing in WDF-BDO tournaments

Heard a rumour? - Post it here
copigme
Steady Sixties

Competing in WDF-BDO tournaments

Post by copigme »

Good morning everyone,
as far as many of the members have expirience of WDF tournaments I have some questions that I would be really happy to be answered.

1.Despite the fact that noone checks it, is there any official requirments for a player to take part in these events? (e.g. to my a member of an official darts club in his country) If nothing is required jump to question 6

2. Sould this club be a part of his country Darts Organization?

3. What kind of proof-papers of identity he should cary? (e.g. his darts club member card)

4. How these papers are cross-checked?

5. Are there any specifications for an official darts club member card? Or any club could have it's own structure? (paper-plastic, in english or in any language)

6. How the points you get in a ranked tournament sum up if no proof of identity required? Is only your country ID enough?

Thank you in advance
Last edited by copigme on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User

Re: Competing in WDF tournaments

Post by Deleted User »

The Jolly Man
County Player

Post by The Jolly Man »

Think the issue with regards if you can play or not is if the event is BDO ranked or not. If it is tour card holders can’t play.

There may be issues if where the player comes from doesn’t have a recognised national organisation, where is the person your talking about from?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

1 - the check is if you are ineligible (i.e. a full PDC member) rather than you being eligible. So no worries there.

6 - they just send the list of players and nationalities to the BDO to add the points on, which in the past has caused issues as the wrong Martin Atkins once got some points his namesake should have got. As long as there arent two players with identical name and nationality it isnt normally an issue.
Big Jock Knew
copigme
Steady Sixties

Post by copigme »

Ginge wrote:1 - the check is if you are ineligible (i.e. a full PDC member) rather than you being eligible. So no worries there.

6 - they just send the list of players and nationalities to the BDO to add the points on, which in the past has caused issues as the wrong Martin Atkins once got some points his namesake should have got. As long as there arent two players with identical name and nationality it isnt normally an issue.
Thank you for the answer Ginge,

So, anyone can go and play just with his identity and they can ranked etc normaly.
This is something that is just because of the lack of control? or there is no regulation telling that anyone have to be a member of an official club?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

The only criteria is that you are NOT a full PDC member. Never seen any Lakeside ranked event that states you have to be a member of a team/club.
Big Jock Knew
copigme
Steady Sixties

Post by copigme »

The Jolly Man wrote:Think the issue with regards if you can play or not is if the event is BDO ranked or not. If it is tour card holders can’t play.

There may be issues if where the player comes from doesn’t have a recognised national organisation, where is the person your talking about from?
Thank you for the answer Jolly man,

both you and Ginge telling me that the only issue is if you have a PDC tour card.

We just founded a darts club here in Greece and we are about to make or member cards. Some people telling me that you dont have to be a member of an official club to play in any WDF (or BDO) ranked tournament and others are telling me the opposite.

There is a recognised (from the WDF) national organisation here in Greece, and our club will be part of it, but i want to know if there is any regulations in this issue because, as far as we are starting something new, we want to make everything as supposed to be done.
Last edited by copigme on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
copigme
Steady Sixties

Post by copigme »

Ginge wrote:The only criteria is that you are NOT a full PDC member. Never seen any Lakeside ranked event that states you have to be a member of a team/club.
That's clear. :)
No one more question. Forgive my ignorance.
What is the difference between the WDF tournaments and BDO tournaments?
Im trying to find an answer searching online and Im getting confused. In my eyes is like both WDF and BDO are the same oeganization running all the tournaments for the "non-Professional Players".
Do I get it right?
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

copigme wrote:
Ginge wrote:The only criteria is that you are NOT a full PDC member. Never seen any Lakeside ranked event that states you have to be a member of a team/club.
That's clear. :)
No one more question. Forgive my ignorance.
What is the difference between the WDF tournaments and BDO tournaments?
Im trying to find an answer searching online and Im getting confused. In my eyes is like both WDF and BDO are the same oeganization running all the tournaments for the "non-Professional Players".
Do I get it right?
It costs an event $1.00 per entry in an event to apply for WDF points, essentially its a year to date ranking list and the leaders at the end of the year get a cash prize. It is also used to split ties for Lakeside qualification.

Many events now no longer bother to apply for WDF points due to the extra cost, dont think England Darts bother anymore but could be wrong on that.

As far as I am aware applying for BDO points is free as long as you stick to the criteria laid down (for example if you want Category A points the mens fund must be at least £7k, there are rules on minimum playing format etc...).

And some events will have both WDF and BDO points.

WDF points are a bit...pointless, really. The list isnt used for much at all.
Big Jock Knew
copigme
Steady Sixties

Post by copigme »

Ginge wrote: It costs an event $1.00 per entry in an event to apply for WDF points, essentially its a year to date ranking list and the leaders at the end of the year get a cash prize. It is also used to split ties for Lakeside qualification.

Many events now no longer bother to apply for WDF points due to the extra cost, dont think England Darts bother anymore but could be wrong on that.

As far as I am aware applying for BDO points is free as long as you stick to the criteria laid down (for example if you want Category A points the mens fund must be at least £7k, there are rules on minimum playing format etc...).

Making a quick comparison in the links below, I see that most of the WDF's calendar events (if not all of them) are also BDO ranked events.
https://www.bdodarts.com/diary-2018-ranked.php
https://www.dartswdf.com/calendar/

So,all these big tournaments in Roumania, Malta, Spain etc are in fact BDO (and not WDF) events?
Ginge
International

Re: RE: Re: Competing in WDF tournaments

Post by Ginge »

copigme wrote:
Ginge wrote: It costs an event $1.00 per entry in an event to apply for WDF points, essentially its a year to date ranking list and the leaders at the end of the year get a cash prize. It is also used to split ties for Lakeside qualification.

Making a quick comparison in the links below, I see that most of the WDF's calendar events (if not all of them) are also BDO ranked events.
https://www.bdodarts.com/diary-2018-ranked.php
https://www.dartswdf.com/calendar/

So,all these big tournaments in Roumania, Malta, Spain etc are in fact BDO (and not WDF) events?
Well they can be both, as I already said.
Big Jock Knew
copigme
Steady Sixties

Re: RE: Re: Competing in WDF tournaments

Post by copigme »

Ginge wrote:Well they can be both, as I already said.
Everything is clearer now thank you very much Ginge.
el_ringo
County Player

Re: Competing in WDF-BDO tournaments

Post by el_ringo »

I may be very wrong on this point but I was always under the impression that to qualify for the (Winmau) Masters you had to be affiliated to a county but if this was true I have no clue how this affected Overseas players.

If you wish to play for England you have to be a member of a county that is a member of the EDO or join the EDO as a 'private' member however this restriction doesn't apply to their 'Opens'. Its quite possible to win every EDO open be top of the EDO ranking tables and not have a chance of being considered to play for England though. Confused ? you will be ;)

As a rule of thumb within the BDO / WDF it only matters who or what you are meant to be or not meant to be a member of when you beat 'certain' players and take away their precious ranking points !
Dannyboy
International

Post by Dannyboy »

Ginge wrote:1 - the check is if you are ineligible (i.e. a full PDC member) rather than you being eligible. So no worries there.

Point 6 should never ever happen - even an organisation like the BDO should have some sort of watertight process to prevent that as surely in tournaments like the Dutch Open you’re bound to have some duplication with names.
Mgt
Superleague Player

Post by Mgt »

Dannyboy wrote:

Point 6 should never ever happen - even an organisation like the BDO should have some sort of watertight process to prevent that as surely in tournaments like the Dutch Open you’re bound to have some duplication with names.
Jan Jansen could become number one based on the Dutch open alone.......
Ginge
International

Post by Ginge »

Dannyboy wrote:

I agree, but like I said, it did happen with the Atkins :D
Big Jock Knew
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Put date of birth on the entry process.
Skewball
International

Post by Skewball »

ChrisW wrote:Put date of birth on the entry process.
Wouldn't advise that anymore under GDPR!
ChrisW
International

Post by ChrisW »

Skewball wrote:
On the registration process not the rankings.
malcy93
Pub Champion

Post by malcy93 »

ChrisW wrote:
Skewball wrote:
On the registration process not the rankings.
Exactly. That though is highly personal data in GDPR terms and shouldn’t be shared with someone like darts organisers as they have no need to have it.

They should start to issue unique registration numbers as a player with EDO or BDO. Most other sports require a registration with the organising body. I am registered with both FA for my rubbish casual football and LTA tennis through my club.